PTA NSW

Questions about New South Wales gun and ammunition laws. NSW Firearms Act 1996.

PTA NSW

Post by chewbacca » 19 Sep 2017, 5:30 am

Hi

I should be getting my PPL shortly and my question is regarding PTA:

When should I submit my first two PTAs? I know that I cannot get a Pistols in the first 6 months of my PPL but do I submit it on the last day of my 6 months or do I submit it a month before my 6 month period is up due to the min 28 day waiting period? Or do I just go into my LGS as after my first 6 months and get the to apply for it for me as I have read that getting the LGS to do it usually has a quicker turn around?

Cheers
chewbacca
Recruit
Recruit

-

Re: PTA NSW

Post by Geech » 19 Sep 2017, 11:52 am

Not sure specifically regarding a pistol PTA, however based on what the firearms registry told me, you can probably submit it a month or so early.

Worst case, they'll receive it, and process it right away - but the 28 day count won't start until the probation period is up. Best case they'll allow the 28 days to be counted from when it's received you'll get your PTA in the mail shortly after the probation period ends.

Either way, I wouldn't rely on the information the registry call centre tells you. They were great to deal with, but repeatedly told me the wrong thing in regard to me submitting my PTA at the same time as my licence application.
Geech
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by chewbacca » 19 Sep 2017, 11:54 am

Thank You
chewbacca
Recruit
Recruit

-

Post by brett1868 » 19 Sep 2017, 1:27 pm

You cannot submit pistol PTA's early in NSW as your club needs to sign off on them and won't sign till the date elapses. No idea where you got the idea that a gunshop will submit the PTA for you in NSW cause no way they'll do that. What club are you a member of? Possibly someone here is a member of the same club who can elaborate further on their process. With the St Marys Club we can submit 2 PTA's after passing "Graduation" which is done after 6 months has elapsed and attendance / training shoots completed. I'm not sure how other clubs do it but I suspect it's a similar process.
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by chewbacca » 19 Sep 2017, 1:38 pm

There seems to be many stores offering to apply for the PTA on behalf of the customers
chewbacca
Recruit
Recruit

-

Post by brett1868 » 19 Sep 2017, 3:03 pm

Mate...your question relates to PTA's in NSW and no shop will submit a PTA's for you in this state. They can supply you with the blank forms but that's about it. Your club needs to sign the PTA as well before you post it to the registry to be processed. You seem to be avoiding certain questions about what club you're a member of and asking questions where the answers are on the registry websites so I'm not sure of your motives.
How's my posting?
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by chewbacca » 19 Sep 2017, 3:09 pm

Seems like states like VIC and other states have the ability to submit PTA's for customers so perhaps it isn't available in NSW.

"Once you have received your license you can go to your local gun store and submit a PTA or Permit To Acquire, the PTA usually takes a day or so however with your first firearm you must wait a 28 day “cooling off” period"
chewbacca
Recruit
Recruit

-

Post by brett1868 » 19 Sep 2017, 3:28 pm

chewbacca wrote:Motives? NIL

Ok, help me to help you then. I like several other members on here hold full Cat H licenses in NSW and I also have a High Cal Permit and Ammunition Purchase and sell permit to cover my commercial ammunition sales.

If you can let me know what club you're a member of it'll help to understand what process they use for licensing, they're pretty much standard though each club has slightly different approaches. You state that many shops are happy to assist with submitting a PTA, I fail to see how they can assist as it's your name, license number, tick a box on storage and sign it. The club secretary then has to sign it off and if they're following the rules they need to see you photo card license which means you cannot post the PTA till you have the PPL photo card and the secretary sights it.
How's my posting?
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by chewbacca » 19 Sep 2017, 4:39 pm

Thanks Brett. I truly do appreciate the advice and assistance. However one thing I have been warned about is people on forums asking "what club are you with" and I have been strongly advised not to give out that information.
My club is a NSW club though.
Im not trying to be a pain but Im just very cautious about information I give out.
And the question about the PTA was a clarification because I thought that if other states are doing it, maybe NSW does it too.
Regards
chewbacca
Recruit
Recruit

-

Post by brett1868 » 19 Sep 2017, 4:49 pm

Stating your club is no threat to security, I'm a member of the St Mary's club as are a few others on here. We get together on a regular basis to compete and practise cause it's fun. I'm also a member of the Mildura Pistol Club cause I shoot down there 4-5 times a year so thought I'd sign up by way of thanking them for letting me use the range. If you want to PM me to keep things more private then you're welcome, I'll even give you my mobile number if you're more comfortable talking. I'm an advocate for the shooting sports and help new shooters where possible to get into the sport and more importantly, to stay in it as that benefits all shooters.
How's my posting?
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 19 Sep 2017, 5:18 pm

chewbacca wrote:However one thing I have been warned about is people on forums asking "what club are you with" and I have been strongly advised not to give out that information.

I'm curious about who exactly would give you such a warning? Does the club not want you talking about them?
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by chewbacca » 19 Sep 2017, 5:34 pm

A trusted friend but lets just respect everyone elses privacy.
chewbacca
Recruit
Recruit

-

Post by bladeracer » 19 Sep 2017, 5:54 pm

chewbacca wrote:A trusted friend but lets just respect everyone elses privacy.

Sure, but did he offer any reasons at all?
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by chewbacca » 19 Sep 2017, 6:07 pm

He did mention something but I can't remember exactly what he said.
Something along the lines of putting out that information and getting burnt and losing his licence etc in some way or another.
Sorry I can't be too sure
chewbacca
Recruit
Recruit

-

Post by bladeracer » 19 Sep 2017, 6:20 pm

chewbacca wrote:He did mention something but I can't remember exactly what he said.
Something along the lines of putting out that information and getting burnt and losing his licence etc in some way or another.
Sorry I can't be too sure

We had a problem in Perth where low-lifes would stake out the road into our club, follow people home and then do a burglary later on. I doubt that advertising which club you shoot at could avoid that though.
I know Police are always warning us about advertising the fact that we are firearm owners, but that's because they have zero ability at combating criminals - they prefer to brand the victims of crime as bringing it upon ourselves when our firearms are stolen.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by brett1868 » 19 Sep 2017, 6:45 pm

chewbacca wrote:A trusted friend but lets just respect everyone elses privacy.

Tried to help but I suggest you ask this trusted friend as he seems to have all the answers.
How's my posting?
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by pomemax » 19 Sep 2017, 8:26 pm

First thought may be right brett .heres a thought does your friend shoot pistol in nsw why did you not ask your club Secretary they should have to sign pta or some other club officer
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by Wylie27 » 19 Sep 2017, 8:47 pm

Starting to smell a troll..
Wylie27
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by pomemax » 19 Sep 2017, 8:50 pm

Bet hin name is David eh Wylie
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by bullzeye » 20 Sep 2017, 10:38 am

What day did you pay for your photo license card at the RMS?

This is technically the day your PPL starts - you can submit your PTA form 6 months after this date. I wouldn't submit it on that exact date. Do a week later.

However, before you can submit your PTA you need to complete a minimum of 3 practice competition shoots and fill out the form 'COMPLETION CERTIFICATE PISTOL FIREARMS SAFETY TRAINING (PPL) COURSE' - which needs to be filled out by a club official.

Here is a link to the form: http://www.police.nsw.gov.au/__data/ass ... r_2016.pdf

Some clubs may require more than 3 practice shoots, for example my club requires 6 but you obviously just fill out 3 on the form.

Send this above form in say 5 months into you PPL. That gives the FAR time to process it and when you submit your PTA everything is in order.

This is the process in NSW. If you ask your club officials which really is the best avenue for any information - they should tell you the same thing.

The real time it takes from getting your PPL to purchasing your first firearms is between 7 - 8 months.
bullzeye
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by brett1868 » 20 Sep 2017, 11:52 am

Process for St Mary's Club

Obtaining a Pistol License
Pistol shooting is a safe, fun and unique sport that is open to anyone 12 years and over. St Marys Pistol Club conduct regular safe handling courses for handguns which are required before you can obtain a Category H licence.
To get started there are six steps you must follow.

Step 1:
Join an approved pistol club such as the SSAA St. Mary’s Pistol Club and book
into the pistol safe handling course. Our course is offered exclusively to members of St Mary's Pistol Club and involves both classroom and live fire exercises. It is an exciting hands on introduction to the sport.

Step 2:
Contact the NSW Police Firearms Registry on 1300.362.562 and ask them to send you out a target pistol licence application. They will send the following: a P561 personal details form and a P660 target form. MINORS - Persons aged between 12 and 18 years of age should ask for a minors target pistol permit application.

Step 3:
Complete the pistol safe handling course. On successful completion of the course you will be given the necessary paperwork to complete your licence application. The course is run over a weekend – from 9.30am to approximately 4.30pm, Saturday and Sunday at the St. Mary’s Indoor Shooting Centre.

Step 4:
Complete 3 Novice shoots. These are Club calendar events and are run one on one with our Range Safety Officers. A Novice is a member who has completed the safe handling course but has not yet been issued with a Probationary Pistol Licence.

Step 5:
Complete 3 Trainee shoots. These are Club calendar events and are run under the guidance of our Range Safety Officers. A Trainee is a member who has completed 3 Novice shoots and has been issued with a Probationary Pistol Licence.

Step 6:
Once you have completed steps 4 and 5, and have held a Probationary Pistol Licence for a minimum of 6 months, you’re eligible to attend Graduation which marks the completion of your training period.

Upon successfully passing graduation you can get 2 PTA's signed on the day,I had mine pre filled out along with an express post envelope and posted them on the way home from graduation. The 28 day wait starts from the day the registry receives the completed forms, I had my 2 back exactly 29 days after posting and picked the pistols up that afternoon. In NSW you can have either 2 centre fire or 2 rimfire but not a mix which is in my opinion not a good move by the registry and many like myself would like a rimfire for practise and a centre fire for competitions.
Most clubs follow a similar process as its based upon regulations set by the registry so not likely to vary much.
How's my posting?
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by chewbacca » 20 Sep 2017, 4:35 pm

Thanks for the info all. Much appreciated
chewbacca
Recruit
Recruit

-

Post by zhuk » 31 Oct 2018, 7:53 pm

brett1868 wrote:Mate...your question relates to PTA's in NSW and no shop will submit a PTA's for you in this state. They can supply you with the blank forms but that's about it. Your club needs to sign the PTA as well before you post it to the registry to be processed. You seem to be avoiding certain questions about what club you're a member of and asking questions where the answers are on the registry websites so I'm not sure of your motives.

Also gun shops can only supply you with longarm PTAs - not handguns as they must be signed off for particular discipline etc by your club official.
zhuk
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Return to New South Wales gun laws