PTA NSW

Questions about New South Wales gun and ammunition laws. NSW Firearms Act 1996.

Re: PTA NSW

Post by pomemax » 19 Sep 2017, 8:50 pm

Bet hin name is David eh Wylie
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by bullzeye » 20 Sep 2017, 10:38 am

What day did you pay for your photo license card at the RMS?

This is technically the day your PPL starts - you can submit your PTA form 6 months after this date. I wouldn't submit it on that exact date. Do a week later.

However, before you can submit your PTA you need to complete a minimum of 3 practice competition shoots and fill out the form 'COMPLETION CERTIFICATE PISTOL FIREARMS SAFETY TRAINING (PPL) COURSE' - which needs to be filled out by a club official.

Here is a link to the form: http://www.police.nsw.gov.au/__data/ass ... r_2016.pdf

Some clubs may require more than 3 practice shoots, for example my club requires 6 but you obviously just fill out 3 on the form.

Send this above form in say 5 months into you PPL. That gives the FAR time to process it and when you submit your PTA everything is in order.

This is the process in NSW. If you ask your club officials which really is the best avenue for any information - they should tell you the same thing.

The real time it takes from getting your PPL to purchasing your first firearms is between 7 - 8 months.
bullzeye
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by brett1868 » 20 Sep 2017, 11:52 am

Process for St Mary's Club

Obtaining a Pistol License
Pistol shooting is a safe, fun and unique sport that is open to anyone 12 years and over. St Marys Pistol Club conduct regular safe handling courses for handguns which are required before you can obtain a Category H licence.
To get started there are six steps you must follow.

Step 1:
Join an approved pistol club such as the SSAA St. Mary’s Pistol Club and book
into the pistol safe handling course. Our course is offered exclusively to members of St Mary's Pistol Club and involves both classroom and live fire exercises. It is an exciting hands on introduction to the sport.

Step 2:
Contact the NSW Police Firearms Registry on 1300.362.562 and ask them to send you out a target pistol licence application. They will send the following: a P561 personal details form and a P660 target form. MINORS - Persons aged between 12 and 18 years of age should ask for a minors target pistol permit application.

Step 3:
Complete the pistol safe handling course. On successful completion of the course you will be given the necessary paperwork to complete your licence application. The course is run over a weekend – from 9.30am to approximately 4.30pm, Saturday and Sunday at the St. Mary’s Indoor Shooting Centre.

Step 4:
Complete 3 Novice shoots. These are Club calendar events and are run one on one with our Range Safety Officers. A Novice is a member who has completed the safe handling course but has not yet been issued with a Probationary Pistol Licence.

Step 5:
Complete 3 Trainee shoots. These are Club calendar events and are run under the guidance of our Range Safety Officers. A Trainee is a member who has completed 3 Novice shoots and has been issued with a Probationary Pistol Licence.

Step 6:
Once you have completed steps 4 and 5, and have held a Probationary Pistol Licence for a minimum of 6 months, you’re eligible to attend Graduation which marks the completion of your training period.

Upon successfully passing graduation you can get 2 PTA's signed on the day,I had mine pre filled out along with an express post envelope and posted them on the way home from graduation. The 28 day wait starts from the day the registry receives the completed forms, I had my 2 back exactly 29 days after posting and picked the pistols up that afternoon. In NSW you can have either 2 centre fire or 2 rimfire but not a mix which is in my opinion not a good move by the registry and many like myself would like a rimfire for practise and a centre fire for competitions.
Most clubs follow a similar process as its based upon regulations set by the registry so not likely to vary much.
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by chewbacca » 20 Sep 2017, 4:35 pm

Thanks for the info all. Much appreciated
chewbacca
Recruit
Recruit

-

Post by zhuk » 31 Oct 2018, 7:53 pm

brett1868 wrote:Mate...your question relates to PTA's in NSW and no shop will submit a PTA's for you in this state. They can supply you with the blank forms but that's about it. Your club needs to sign the PTA as well before you post it to the registry to be processed. You seem to be avoiding certain questions about what club you're a member of and asking questions where the answers are on the registry websites so I'm not sure of your motives.

Also gun shops can only supply you with longarm PTAs - not handguns as they must be signed off for particular discipline etc by your club official.
zhuk
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Return to New South Wales gun laws