Is it worth buying a safe before i know i'm approved?

Questions about Queensland gun and ammunition laws. QLD Weapons Act 1990.

Is it worth buying a safe before i know i'm approved?

Post by Diizane » 21 Sep 2017, 12:40 pm

I submitted my New Firearms License (A&B) and my PTA yesterday in Queensland. I've been reading and it appears to take abouut 12 weeks for a reply, so i was wondering is it worth me buying a safe before i know if im approved or should i wait until i am approved and purchase it then?
Diizane
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Re: Is it worth buying a safe before i know i'm approved?

Post by AusTac » 21 Sep 2017, 12:44 pm

I don't know what your personal circumstances are but i waited until i was in the clear to spend my $$$
Certified part time hillbilly
AusTac
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by YoungBuck » 21 Sep 2017, 1:17 pm

If you have a genuine reason for the license and have no history with the po po, very good chance you will get approved.
I waited til I got my PTA approval back before getting mine, but if I had to do it again I'd have organised and installed the safe well before hand.
It'll shoot the fleas off a dog's back at five hundred yards, Tannen, and it's pointed straight at your head!
YoungBuck
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by doc » 21 Sep 2017, 1:22 pm

Can't answer your question for you. If you thing there's a reason you may be knocked back - go with your gut feeling. If you've never had trouble with the law before and have a genuine reason - I wouldn't expect you to be knocked back.

What I will suggest though is if you do buy a safe - get one a lot bigger than you expect to need!

Safes are rated for x amount of guns, but in reality you'll probably comfortably fit half of those guns in there.

Secondly - most people end up buying more guns than they first think they'll get in the end. ;)
doc
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

-

Post by Daddybang » 21 Sep 2017, 2:49 pm

Wait until ya get asked to provide ya id. Even though it will be a bit of a wait from then until ya get approved it's the final step of the process :drinks:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Pythonkeeper » 21 Sep 2017, 4:16 pm

I bought mine not long after applying as I was confident I'd be approved, if you have any doubts just wait till you have approval/refusal before spending your hard earned.
Pythonkeeper
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Diizane » 21 Sep 2017, 9:51 pm

Daddybang wrote:Wait until ya get asked to provide ya id. Even though it will be a bit of a wait from then until ya get approved it's the final step of the process :drinks:

Thanks everyone for the replies.

I actually got asked to provide my ID to my local police station today. Which i found strange, as it was noted as the final stage of a weapons license.
So I'll see how that all goes from here on.
Diizane
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Daddybang » 22 Sep 2017, 6:58 am

Ya should be all good if ya have been asked to provide id. Now it's just the wait for wlb to finalize the app. :thumbsup:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 22 Sep 2017, 8:52 pm

Diizane wrote:
Daddybang wrote:Wait until ya get asked to provide ya id. Even though it will be a bit of a wait from then until ya get approved it's the final step of the process :drinks:

I actually got asked to provide my ID to my local police station today. Which i found strange, as it was noted as the final stage of a weapons license.

What's going on. Did you marry the daughter of one of the
Cops in the QLD head office? Most apply at age 21 and wait till their retired to get a license!
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Bigjobss » 22 Sep 2017, 9:23 pm

I bought and installed my safe during the application process, apart from a few (many) speeding fines I am clean as a whistle and never entertained the thought of being knocked back.
My safe is a 5 gun, lots of folks say you will buy more than you think but that is up to the individual, I hate clutter and redundancy, I have three guns and that is probably one more than I actually need.
Bigjobss

Post by Rikta » 22 Sep 2017, 11:41 pm

if you were in WA it would be a requirement
Rem .270
Howa .223
Ruger 22lr
Lanber 12g
Rossi 410g
Rikta
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Diizane » 23 Sep 2017, 6:21 pm

Oldbloke wrote:
Diizane wrote:

What's going on. Did you marry the daughter of one of the
Cops in the QLD head office? Most apply at age 21 and wait till their retired to get a license!

Funny thing is, I'm only 20. I applied for my AB license, and got the ID check for the very next day. I found that strange seeing as there's usually a 28 day period where i would have to wait before they even looked at my application, but who knows. Either way, sooner the better!

Bigjobss wrote:I bought and installed my safe during the application process, apart from a few (many) speeding fines I am clean as a whistle and never entertained the thought of being knocked back.
My safe is a 5 gun, lots of folks say you will buy more than you think but that is up to the individual, I hate clutter and redundancy, I have three guns and that is probably one more than I actually need.

I actually bought the Trophy 32Gun safe, purely because of it's weight. I'm living in a rental house, and probably cannot bolt to the floor. Most heavy safes do cost a lot more and have much more room.
Diizane
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by marksman » 23 Sep 2017, 6:56 pm

you may not be able to get it into the house, might be a tad awkward
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Yipikaye » 24 Sep 2017, 10:03 pm

I got my safe a few weeks after I applied which turned out to be a good idea. It took me a few weekends to get around to going to Bunnings, getting the right bolts, finding the right spot, going back to Bunnings for a new drill bit etc etc.
- .303 British
- 12G
Yipikaye
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Zarrs » 02 Oct 2017, 10:30 am

I've almost got everything already including a 8 rifle gun safe that is bolted down and good to go and I haven't even sat the exam yet ( i do it on the 17th of october). The reason I got my safe was because i got it for $179 and the price of this safe is normally around $500. I've also slowly purchased things like cleaning equipment and hearing protection so I was not rushed into anything and could research everything I was buying.
I've never had any issues with the law before (apart from the odd parking ticket or speeding fine) and I don't have any medical issues so there is no reason I should be knocked back.
I guess there is no right or wrong answer to your question but my advice is to take your time and if that means buying things before you get your licence then so bit. Shooting is not cheap prices are not standard, they jump all over the place depending on where you to buy them. And if you are buying things from ebay some of the products will take a month or so to get to you if you are buying from over seas.

p.s I've also got a deposit down on a rifle from my local gun shop which ill pay off once i get my licence!
Zarrs
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by Dunxy » 02 Oct 2017, 6:16 pm

I got my safe before Id been approved,originally I was going to just buy one of these cheapish new 80kgish offerings and bolt down so I wanted to allow time to prepare everything so i was ready from day I got licence/pta. In the end I got a used far heavier and stronger safe after a mate told me i was $%^^ing idiot for looking at that crap and promptly showed me how easy he could pry his chinesium 80kg ish one he uses for ammo storage and no way would i put my rifles in one after seeing that.
Not enough characters!
Dunxy
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Zarrs » 02 Oct 2017, 7:59 pm

Dunxy wrote:I got my safe before Id been approved,originally I was going to just buy one of these cheapish new 80kgish offerings and bolt down so I wanted to allow time to prepare everything so i was ready from day I got licence/pta. In the end I got a used far heavier and stronger safe after a mate told me i was $%^^ing idiot for looking at that crap and promptly showed me how easy he could pry his chinesium 80kg ish one he uses for ammo storage and no way would i put my rifles in one after seeing that.

I was told the same thing and i saw some clips on youtube on how easy is to get into a safe, but thats what insurance is for I guess :)

In saying that we plan on building a new place next year and I am going to have my own safe built into the garage which is something I am looking forward to.
Zarrs
Private
Private

Victoria

Return to Queensland gun laws