Legalities on placing my safe?

Questions about Queensland gun and ammunition laws. QLD Weapons Act 1990.

Legalities on placing my safe?

Post by Diizane » 23 Sep 2017, 6:18 pm

I'm wondering on where about i am legally allowed to keep my safe, my room is generally a rectangle with no additional wardrobe rooms or anything.

I was hoping to just put my safe in the corner of my room and be done with it (200kg Trophy Safe), but if i am required to bolt it down (for cat H) it may have to move to the garage to be bolted down.

The garage has two big roller doors, one of them never opens and was thinking it could go on that side of the garage out of sight.

But for now, is there any legal obligations i need to fulfill in Queensland other than just placing my safe in the corner of my room?
Diizane
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Re: Legalities on placing my safe?

Post by RoginaJack » 23 Sep 2017, 9:25 pm

If storing Cat. H weapons, must be bolted down. If weighs more than 150kg does not require to be bolted down BUT I would suggest that you bolt the thing down anyway, can't fall should anyone climb or try and tilt it etc.
You can place the safe in your room or the garage and I'd suggest that don't plaster it with shooting/hunting stickers, keep the door to the room locked at all times and all should be sweet.
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Diizane » 23 Sep 2017, 11:24 pm

RoginaJack wrote:If storing Cat. H weapons, must be bolted down. If weighs more than 150kg does not require to be bolted down BUT I would suggest that you bolt the thing down anyway, can't fall should anyone climb or try and tilt it etc.
You can place the safe in your room or the garage and I'd suggest that don't plaster it with shooting/hunting stickers, keep the door to the room locked at all times and all should be sweet.

For the meantime, i will only have A&B. I wish to just store it in my room in the corner, although i cannot lock my doors.

It will just be a clean safe with no stickers or anything, I just want to make sure that if an inspection does come through that i won't be in the wrong by having it just sitting in my room without being inside of a wardrobe or something.
Diizane
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by AusTac » 23 Sep 2017, 11:38 pm

Something like one of those cheap false wall folding things could cover your safe just to put it out of the way, depending on the size of the room of course, my mate has done the same thing, in the corner and the safe is pretty obvious, but then theres only so much you can do, depends how much traffic you have through your house
Certified part time hillbilly
AusTac
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by Diizane » 23 Sep 2017, 11:51 pm

AusTac wrote:Something like one of those cheap false wall folding things could cover your safe just to put it out of the way, depending on the size of the room of course, my mate has done the same thing, in the corner and the safe is pretty obvious, but then theres only so much you can do, depends how much traffic you have through your house

Are you able to provide me with an example of that?

Traffic is minimal, myself and family only will be in this room.
Diizane
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Bent Arrow » 24 Sep 2017, 9:25 am

Diizane wrote:
AusTac wrote:Something like one of those cheap false wall folding things could cover your safe just to put it out of the way, depending on the size of the room of course, my mate has done the same thing, in the corner and the safe is pretty obvious, but then theres only so much you can do, depends how much traffic you have through your house

Are you able to provide me with an example of that?

Traffic is minimal, myself and family only will be in this room.

If it's only you and immediate family members that would lay on eyes on it that would be fine....... Do your mates or girl friends never go into your room?
Bent Arrow
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

South Australia

Post by Wylie27 » 24 Sep 2017, 5:19 pm

It's a 200kg safe and Cat A/b then it is fine to have it in the corner of the room or garage.

It will pass any inspection. There is no legislation on having to hide it.
Wylie27
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by brett1868 » 24 Sep 2017, 6:03 pm

Double check the QLD rules on bolting down safes for Cat H cause in NSW any safe no matter how heavy MUST be bolted down if storing handguns. As for placement, you can pretty much put it anywhere within the confines of the dwelling or garage providing is not easily accessible.
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by RoginaJack » 24 Sep 2017, 6:39 pm

Yep, Qld Cat. H storeage must be bolted to floor or frame of a permanent building.

PS. Can't see where safe/container must be "hidden" but Container must be kept locked with a sturdy combination lock, keyed lock or keyed padlock.
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Diizane » 25 Sep 2017, 7:59 pm

I have bought the safe, and this is how i plan for it to sit when it's got weapons in it.

I'm hoping that would be fine as it's far over the 150kg mark, and only visible if you are in the room.

Ignore whats on and around it, I'm just moving things around. My question is, will this pass an inspection for A/B?
Diizane
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Wylie27 » 25 Sep 2017, 8:30 pm

Yep it should be fine!

Solid looking safe there
Wylie27
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by dpskipper » 26 Sep 2017, 12:00 pm

Nice PC case, i've got the same one :drinks:
Wedgetail WT15
Riverman OAF
Desert Tech SRS
Adler 7 shot
dpskipper
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Daddybang » 26 Sep 2017, 3:43 pm

Diizane wrote:I have bought the safe, and this is how i plan for it to sit when it's got weapons in it.

I'm hoping that would be fine as it's far over the 150kg mark, and only visible if you are in the room.

Ignore whats on and around it, I'm just moving things around. My question is, will this pass an inspection for A/B?

Yep it will pass. Throw a blanket over it if ya worried about people seeing it. :drinks:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Download » 26 Sep 2017, 10:15 pm

Why are you worried about who can see it? I'm not aware of any law requiring safes to be hidden.

I know here in SA you have to keep your gun out of sight when transporting it in the car but that's very different from storage.
Download
Private
Private

South Australia

Post by Diizane » 27 Sep 2017, 12:56 am

Download wrote:Why are you worried about who can see it? I'm not aware of any law requiring safes to be hidden.

I know here in SA you have to keep your gun out of sight when transporting it in the car but that's very different from storage.

I was just told by someone who also has a license that it should be hidden from view, but found no legal requirements for that. Just wanted to check to make sure im not missing anything.
Diizane
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Wylie27 » 27 Sep 2017, 6:53 am

Dilzane,

Glad you have done your own research so many people think they know the law (including me) and in reality they can be wrong. Which is why your own personal research is good! :)

The biggest issue with laws too is that was is legal in NSW maybe illegal in WA and vice versa.

There is also myths perpetrated by clubs that are run by fudds that are what they want to see and somehow it's law because of that.

Worst part is if you ring the various registries the people working their may not know the law either.

Not sure about where you are but NSW registry put out a "fact" sheet, which is what the commissioner considers you have met the requirements of safe storage/transportation etc.

If your registry puts out something like that might be good to review!

Good looking safe! Hope you fill it :)
Wylie27
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Daddybang » 27 Sep 2017, 7:22 am

Wylie27 wrote:Dilzane,

Glad you have done your own research so many people think they know the law (including me) and in reality they can be wrong. Which is why your own personal research is good! :)

The biggest issue with laws too is that was is legal in NSW maybe illegal in WA and vice versa.

There is also myths perpetrated by clubs that are run by fudds that are what they want to see and somehow it's law because of that.

Worst part is if you ring the various registries the people working their may not know the law either.

Not sure about where you are but NSW registry put out a "fact" sheet, which is what the commissioner considers you have met the requirements of safe storage/transportation etc.

This^^^. The hardest part for new licensees is sorting fact from so always do ya own research. :thumbsup:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Diizane » 27 Sep 2017, 2:40 pm

Wylie27 wrote:Dilzane,

I've had a look, im in Queensland. It seems like the only legal obligations i need to follow is that the safe needs to be over 150kg with weapons stored with their actions broken.

I can't find anything stating otherwise.
Diizane
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Baronvonrort » 27 Sep 2017, 3:40 pm

I would suggest bedrooms for the safes if you have air conditioning, the AC lowers humidity which is probably a good thing for corrosion prevention.
Baronvonrort
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by holden4th » 24 Oct 2017, 7:46 pm

My pistol safe is bolted to the floor of my garage. As the whole garage area is easy to see when the door is open I've placed a crappy old cardboard box over the safe to keep it from view. If, as you say, nobody can see your safe then you probably don't have to do that. One thing to consider is that despite the weight of the safe, if it's not bolted to the floor it could conceivably be carried out as simply as you brought it in.
holden4th
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Return to Queensland gun laws