Import Rifle.

Questions about Queensland gun and ammunition laws. QLD Weapons Act 1990.

Import Rifle.

Post by Baz460 » 25 Sep 2017, 11:39 am

Hi. I said I would never do it again, because I once imported a 460 XVR Smith and Wesson, and it took forever to get my handgun license upgraded, but my friend made me an offer I just couldn't refuse
How does Customs work out the import duty on a Rifle if it is a gift?
Any advice will be appreciated.
Baz.
Baz460
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Re: Import Rifle.

Post by marksman » 25 Sep 2017, 9:05 pm

I'm not really sure if the gift thing works anymore, I am pretty sure you will get slugged anyway
I and a few mates have been hoping Trump will change things around to benefit us shooters as well as the gun trade in the US
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by 1886 » 26 Sep 2017, 11:07 pm

There is no direct import duty fee anymore given the free trade agreement.

All you have to pay is GST on all costs, plus a small Customs admin fee.

Given its a freebie customs may determine a price for it and then assign GST or it maybe classed as a total freebie and GST will only be on shipping, export permit cost and any US dealer handling costs etc.

Give them a call.
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Baz460 » 27 Sep 2017, 11:41 am

Cheers guys. I also found out that you have to have a separate B7O9 form for brass and reloading dies. I think the import cost GST etc will be roughly $700, but still a massive saving if you are prepared to wait. LOL

Cheers Baz.
Baz460
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by brett1868 » 27 Sep 2017, 1:29 pm

There's a few other fees you need to keep in mind, being a rifle it will have to be exported by a licensed US FFS dealer then collected from customs by a licensed dealer and registered. Brokerage in Aus needs to be considered and paid for, best to organise this before the rifle ships so it goes straight to the broker. I did this myself but next time I'll use some one like Danny at Delta Tactical to manage.

Below were the actual costs to import a barrel and action costing $4600 from the US last year.
U.S Brokerage - $665
Shipping / Packaging US-AUS $1702
AUS Brokerage / customs / duties / taxes - $897
NSW Dealer fees $200
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Baz460 » 27 Sep 2017, 4:35 pm

Will start the process in 2 weeks, I am going to do it myself and will keep a tally of what it costs to land here and let you all know.

Baz.
Baz460
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 27 Sep 2017, 6:33 pm

Baz460 wrote:Cheers guys. I also found out that you have to have a separate B7O9 form for brass and reloading dies. I think the import cost GST etc will be roughly $700, but still a massive saving if you are prepared to wait. LOL

Cheers Baz.

You don't need a B709 to import dies.
Ammunition components you do, or just order it through an importer that already has the paperwork in place - like Brownells.com.au. I've bought lots of bullets and brass out of the US via them.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Return to Queensland gun laws