Vicpol to prohibit posession

Questions about Victorian gun and ammunition laws. Victorian Firearms Act 1996.

Vicpol to prohibit posession

Post by Tiger650 » 04 Oct 2017, 7:29 pm

Yesterday I was listening to local Melb radio and segment "Sly of the underworld" appeared, this bloke is a lawyer and plainly well connected with Vicpol, no problem with that although over time he has come out as a leftist who certainly does not like us.

From what I gathered [I was driving ] the Parliament has decided that Vicpol can now declare any individual a "prohibited person" without any conviction for any offence being recorded.

The braying lawyer declared this a "game changing" win against "Bikies" and other disreputable folk.

If I recall what I heard correctly, and I may not have, we best rebel now or lie down on our tummies and grit our teeth because any "hate speech" as defined by a Vicpol Commissar will see our firearms confiscated.

The SSAA is comfy bludging.
Tiger650
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Re: Vicpol to prohibit posession

Post by on_one_wheel » 04 Oct 2017, 8:26 pm

I'm pretty sure that has been the case for quite some time as part of the current vetting system when you apply for your license.

There was talk a couple of years ago in SA about adding known outlaw motorcycle gang members to the band list.

Personally I don't like lowlife bikie gang types so seeing outlaw gang members band is great.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by doc » 05 Oct 2017, 8:35 am

The problem is that 'hate speech' is a slippery slope.

I agree - I have no time for Outlaw gangs either - but there should be some sort of protection to make sure this isn't abused. Just look at America, and some of the claims that simply stating a slogan such as 'Make America Great Again' is considered hate speech by some people.

With the left, more and more it seems that anything said that they disagree with - or any facts spoken that go against their agenda's they twist as being hate speech - and this is where I have concerns with 'hate speech' being used in acts and regulations.
doc
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

-

Post by marksman » 05 Oct 2017, 10:17 am

yea I'm also pretty sure its part of the vetting system when you apply for your firearms licence
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by happyhunter » 05 Oct 2017, 12:05 pm

They did change the law so now you don't have to be the actual 'prohibited' individual, just associated with them. There is no distinction so even if it happens to be a relative or son in law if they come to your house then all the prohibitions that apply to them will apply to you.
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by Gun-nut » 05 Oct 2017, 4:01 pm

Can anyone show any proof of changes to the law, this is absolutely ridiculous. I can't even imagine the damage that this could cause to people, but I'm not surprised either.
Gun-nut
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Tiger650 » 05 Oct 2017, 7:26 pm

Researched and the best I could come up with was this, "Sly" is not in fact a lawyer but just another journo.

It appears that he was promoting legislation proposed by Lisa Neville, our [Victoria] Police Minister.

Check out the old air rifle "seized" from bikies !

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/at-la ... ypjti.html

The Age is Comintern Pravda writ large.
Tiger650
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by on_one_wheel » 05 Oct 2017, 8:45 pm

happyhunter wrote:They did change the law so now you don't have to be the actual 'prohibited' individual, just associated with them. There is no distinction so even if it happens to be a relative or son in law if they come to your house then all the prohibitions that apply to them will apply to you.

That's right ... I remember that part of it now.
There is definitely a problem with that.

If a lowlife works at my workplace, drinks at my pub and engages in general chitchat with my immediate circle of friends am I now an associate?

If the local policeman decides that the way I spoke to him was unpleasant when he fined me for driving with my arm out of the vehicles window, then I'm pretty sure he'll decide that I'm now a associated with a outlaw motorcycle gang because I work with and drink with and talk to Jimbo the try hard biker wanekr :lol:
That's a worry.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by happyhunter » 06 Oct 2017, 6:57 am

Gun-nut wrote:Can anyone show any proof of changes to the law, this is absolutely ridiculous. I can't even imagine the damage that this could cause to people, but I'm not surprised either.

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/at-la ... ypjti.html
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Return to Victorian gun laws