Customs Seizure - Airsoft BB's

Questions about Federal gun laws covering all of Australia. Importing / exporting firearms and ammunition. Dealing with Australian Border Force, Customs etc.

Customs Seizure - Airsoft BB's

Post by bladeracer » 06 Oct 2017, 12:52 pm

I ordered some plastic BB's to use for powdercoating bullets, it boosts the static charge and helps with the coating.
It never occurred to me that plastic balls could be considered to be "ammunition", but it seems they are and thus have been seized as a prohibited import.
I rang to explain, but they're submerged with calls, so I'll have to "call back later" according to the recorded message.
I'm not at all surprised that they're swamped if this is the rubbish they're pouring their incredibly short resources into!

It seems "1600 x BB pellets" are, under subsection 203B(2), "...suspected on reasonable grounds to be special forfeited goods."

"Customs (Prohibited Imports) Regulations - Schedule 6 - Item 20 - Ammunition for any firearm to which item 1, 2, 3, 6, 9, 12 or 14Z applies, other than ammunition to which item 19 applies."

So, does anybody know of an Aussie source of these plastic BB's?
Alternatively, what media are other powdercoaters using that the government is not frightened of?
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Re: Customs Seizure - Airsoft BB's

Post by Daddybang » 06 Oct 2017, 1:19 pm

Is there anything "special" about the plastic? Would a craft shop have something(beads etc) effing ridiculous that plastic bb are prohibited yet I can go and buy stainless steel for my slingshot. !!!!!! :thumbsdown:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 06 Oct 2017, 1:27 pm

Daddybang wrote:Is there anything "special" about the plastic? Would a craft shop have something(beads etc) effing ridiculous that plastic bb are prohibited yet I can go and buy stainless steel for my slingshot. !!!!!! :thumbsdown:

I did originally look at beads but I figured a hole in the middle would just eat up a hell of a lot of the powder.
I'm not even sure they're required as I haven't tried powder coating bullets as yet. I'll try without first and see how I go.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 06 Oct 2017, 1:28 pm

Daddybang wrote:Is there anything "special" about the plastic? Would a craft shop have something(beads etc) effing ridiculous that plastic bb are prohibited yet I can go and buy stainless steel for my slingshot. !!!!!! :thumbsdown:

Now, slingshots I do know are illegal down here, but I'm not sure if a licence is required to buy ball bearings...yet.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Daddybang » 06 Oct 2017, 1:36 pm

bladeracer wrote:

Now, slingshots I do know are illegal down here, but I'm not sure if a licence is required to buy ball bearings...yet.

Slingshots are illegal!!! Jesus that's rough. :lol:
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 06 Oct 2017, 5:09 pm

Daddybang wrote:
bladeracer wrote:Now, slingshots I do know are illegal down here, but I'm not sure if a licence is required to buy ball bearings...yet.

Not really, I never managed to get any sort accuracy out of them when I was kid :-)
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Daddybang » 06 Oct 2017, 6:15 pm

bladeracer wrote:
Daddybang wrote:
bladeracer wrote:Now, slingshots I do know are illegal down here, but I'm not sure if a licence is required to buy ball bearings...yet.

Not really, I never managed to get any sort accuracy out of them when I was kid :-)

Yeah tbh I only use mine when the dogs are chasing the cows or horses!! :D I just asked the missus ( she's right into the crafty stuff)and she said she'll have a look at the sights she uses for beads without any holes and let ya know the address's :drinks:
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 06 Oct 2017, 6:28 pm

"It never occurred to me that plastic balls could be considered to be "ammunition", but it seems they are and thus have been seized as a prohibited import."

You dip stick, you should have known. After all tooth picks are prohibited because they are poisonous blow pipe darts. :allegedly: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Duck you're a dope.

PS, whatever you do don't try and import knitting needles. Your bound to be convicted and get 10 years.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Thom318 » 06 Oct 2017, 9:04 pm

Might find it was the terminology used by the sender. If they described it as "airsoft bbs" they're probably considered the same as air rifle pellets, but "bulk plastic media" would be completely harmless
Thom318
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by darwindingo » 06 Oct 2017, 10:02 pm

Daddybang wrote:
bladeracer wrote:

Ball bearings are the debil, they should be banned :lol: ,,, Gee won't anyone think of the poor aluminum cans... :lol: :crazy:

BCA.....(Bearing Control Australia)... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Not fond of plastic BB's either... Especially the military appearance black ones :lol: :lol: :lol:
“Accidental Discharges” DO NOT OCCUR !!

An "Unintended Discharge" is nothing more than the lack of appropriate safety procedures or the failure to follow them..!

I love my country, but fear my government.
darwindingo
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by Oldbloke » 07 Oct 2017, 7:01 am

"BCA.....(Bearing Control Australia)... Not fond of plastic BB's either... Especially the military appearance black ones"

I'm calling the police. 112
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Apollo » 07 Oct 2017, 7:22 am

"bladeracer" When you say "Powder Coating Bullets", are you talking about say Moly Coating or the like...????

If so, Lyman has a Moly Coating Kit which uses Ceramic Pellets. Have been using that for some years, as do a lot of others I know that use Moly Bullets. The process works best when everything is hot so I do most of my coating in summer with everything out in full sun on a hot day. In winter if I run short everything is pre-heated inside on & near the wood heater.

You can probably just buy the Ceramic Pellets, have not needed to find out.
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 07 Oct 2017, 7:39 am

Apollo wrote:"bladeracer" When you say "Powder Coating Bullets", are you talking about say Moly Coating or the like...????

If so, Lyman has a Moly Coating Kit which uses Ceramic Pellets. Have been using that for some years, as do a lot of others I know that use Moly Bullets. The process works best when everything is hot so I do most of my coating in summer with everything out in full sun on a hot day. In winter if I run short everything is pre-heated inside on & near the wood heater.

You can probably just buy the Ceramic Pellets, have not needed to find out.

Not moly, just powdercoat.
I think the whole point of the plastic pellets is to boost the amount of static electricity in the powder so I don't think ceramic would help. I'll try it with just the powder and see if I really need to augment it with plastic.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Daddybang » 07 Oct 2017, 8:09 am

Hey blade try plasticballs.com they should have what ya looking for. :thumbsup:
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 07 Oct 2017, 8:22 am

Daddybang wrote:Hey blade try plasticballs.com they should have what ya looking for. :thumbsup:

Looks great, now I just need to work out what Airsoft BB's are made from :-)
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Sawyers » 07 Oct 2017, 10:50 pm

bladeracer wrote:

Sling shots are but "bait casters" arnt, I bought 2 on line for my oldest boy last christmas
Sawyers
Private
Private

Western Australia

Post by sbd3927 » 08 Oct 2017, 12:54 am

It doesn't sound like you need perfect spheres?
Simply do a hunt around your local industrial area for anyone that does plastic injection moulding, or even rotomould plastic tanks etc.
Raw plastic resin is supplied in a pellet form, about the size of a half length chook pellet, or... say a 3mm cylinder chopped about 3-4mm long.
The raw material is then blended with color or whatever in a hopper before melting in the barrel of the plastic injection moulder.

You could hunt the type of plastic you wanted too, polyethylene, nylon whatever.

Hmm, google plastic pellets, shows it being sold for doll stuffing on ebay as well as other uses.
or "plastic resin suppliers australia"
Anschutz 1515-1516 22WMR
Steyr Prohunter 308win, Bushnell Elite 6500 2.5-16x50
sbd3927
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by sungazer » 08 Oct 2017, 8:12 am

or if you just want static electricity perhaps been bag balls would work.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by Dunxy » 08 Oct 2017, 8:29 am

Slingshots are illegal in most states, some states allow "pest controllers" that arent slingshots, honestly ;) It can be trivial crap like selling handle and band separate, this was case in vic for couple of years prior to the banning.Technically they arent banned just regulated anyway, legal imported ones get serialized just like a firearm and theres licensing and registration, it would be laughable if it wasn't sad!

A little bird told me as long as its not braced, they can be purchased online and make it through customs.

As for the inert plastic BB's, that's just beyond full retard.Yup id be looking at raw plastic material or theres also these "microspheres" stuff they mix with resin when doing fiberglass(mates a boat builder) that would work well.
Not enough characters!
Dunxy
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 08 Oct 2017, 12:46 pm

Some useful tips there guys. I'll try without any plastic and see what the finish is like.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by perentie » 06 Sep 2020, 4:41 pm

Just been reading up on powder coating. I am a few years behind. Did you find a suitable pellet or bead?
What powder are you using.?
I see Eastman powders on Ebay
perentie
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 06 Sep 2020, 4:43 pm

perentie wrote:Just been reading up on powder coating. I am a few years behind. Did you find a suitable pellet or bead?
What powder are you using.?
I see Eastman powders on Ebay

I'm using Eastman direct from PCC.
I never found a need to try plastic, I've only had one instance of less-than-perfect finish and I put that down to handling the bullets beforehand.
But I keep meaning to try the same pellets I use in my shooting bags.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by wanneroo » 07 Sep 2020, 12:47 am

bladeracer wrote:
Daddybang wrote:Hey blade try plasticballs.com they should have what ya looking for. :thumbsup:

Looks great, now I just need to work out what Airsoft BB's are made from :-)

The ones I use for scenarios at work are compressed chalk. The cheaper ones are plastic.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Return to National gun laws - Australian Federal gun laws