Can i purchase weapon attachments without a license? QLD

Questions about Queensland gun and ammunition laws. QLD Weapons Act 1990.

Can i purchase weapon attachments without a license? QLD

Post by Diizane » 09 Oct 2017, 11:04 am

I'm looking at buying a few scopes and cleaning gear to store in my empty safe but i'm concerned about the legalities around purchasing weapon attachments/gear without a license. Is it allowed in QLD?

Also, would it cause issues buying them from a US provider and having them ship here? I don't want to have to deal with customs.
Diizane
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Re: Can i purchase weapon attachments without a license? QLD

Post by Daddybang » 09 Oct 2017, 11:23 am

No license required to buy scopes or cleaning gear. Don't think it's a problem to order them from os but I haven't done it. :thumbsup:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 09 Oct 2017, 11:23 am

Diizane wrote:I'm looking at buying a few scopes and cleaning gear to store in my empty safe but i'm concerned about the legalities around purchasing weapon attachments/gear without a license. Is it allowed in QLD?

Also, would it cause issues buying them from a US provider and having them ship here? I don't want to have to deal with customs.

Not many firearm parts are restricted, scopes and cleaning gear would be fine.
A lot of firearm accessories are covered by US ITAR laws which prohibit them exporting.
Try ordering through Brownells.com.au.

Why do you have an empty safe, no licence, but still want to own firearm accessories?
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Strikey » 09 Oct 2017, 11:27 am

Curious as to what you are referring to as a "weapon"?? A golf club could be a weapon if used with the wrong intent :roll:
Strikey
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Daddybang » 09 Oct 2017, 11:35 am

Strikey wrote:Curious as to what you are referring to as a "weapon"?? A golf club could be a weapon if used with the wrong intent :roll:

Here we go again!!!!! :D :D :D :drinks:
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by scoobs » 09 Oct 2017, 1:54 pm

Strikey wrote:Curious as to what you are referring to as a "weapon"?? A golf club could be a weapon if used with the wrong intent :roll:
Attachments
c3276627ca0772472d2cff5a2a24b050--assault-weapon-assault-rifle.jpg
c3276627ca0772472d2cff5a2a24b050--assault-weapon-assault-rifle.jpg (58.09 KiB) Viewed 7677 times
Tikka t3x super lite stainless .308/Nikon M-308 4-16x42 BDC-800.
Tikka T3X varmint stainless 22-250/Bushnell Trophy Extreme 6-24x50.
Lithgow LA101 22LR/bushnell rimfire 3-12x40
Adler a110 12Ga 20" tactical.
scoobs
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Strikey » 09 Oct 2017, 6:44 pm

Daddybang wrote:

Maybe he is a fair dinkum new shooter but this blokes posts ring a few alarm bells for me :?:
Strikey
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Daddybang » 09 Oct 2017, 6:48 pm

Strikey wrote:
Daddybang wrote:

Maybe he is a fair dinkum new shooter but this blokes posts ring a few alarm bells for me :?:

:thumbsup:
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by gazza » 09 Oct 2017, 7:34 pm

I was always told not to refer to firearms as weapons. I don't really know why but it it has stuck with me. Just asking my kids now it seems I have passed it on to them.
gazza
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by VICHunter » 10 Oct 2017, 2:50 pm

Gold clubs are fine as long as they don't have a foldable or collapsing handle :D
VICHunter
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Daddybang » 10 Oct 2017, 2:53 pm

VICHunter wrote:

Gold clubs are fine as long as they don't have a foldable or collapsing handle :D

:lol: :lol: :lol: :drinks:
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Gizardry » 11 Oct 2017, 3:20 pm

You can even buy normal firearm magazines without a licence in Australia.

But the law is tricky, let me explain(I am not a lawyer, this is not legal advice):
State law varies, but the following statements are true in most states.
If you hold a 5rd(number vary by state) AR-15 magazine, it is totally legal. With or without any licence
If you hold a 10rd(number vary by state) Tikka T3x magazine, it is totally legal. With or without any licence
If you hold a 10Rd(number vary by state) Rimfire magazine, it is totally legal. with or without any licence

If you don't have a licence and do not have access to guns in normal cases, it might be legal to have a firearm magazine of any capacity. In theory, if you don't have a gun, the 'magazine' you are holding is just a metal/plastic container with strange shapes.

If you own a normal bolt action .223rem that somehow accepts Ar-15 mags, you can have a 10rd magazine.
If you also managed to get a licence for an AR-15(lucky you), you can have a 5rd(according to your licence CAT and sate) magazine. You just can't attach the above 10rd magazine to your AR-15 as long as there are no zombies in the streets.
Gizardry
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by MalleeFarmer » 23 Oct 2017, 8:46 pm

Diizane wrote:I'm looking at buying a few scopes and cleaning gear to store in my empty safe but i'm concerned about the legalities around purchasing weapon attachments/gear without a license. Is it allowed in QLD?

A scope is just a monocular until you attach it to a firearm or crossbow, cleaning gear is just peices of fabric carbon fiber rod brass and oil. There are no issues buying any of them without a licence. The safe... why bother unless you are licenced and about to purchase a firearm. You can buy scopes etc. out of the us but why bother.

In conclusion.. if you dont have firearms you dont need a scope or cleaning gear so id wait until you have a firearm before purchasing. No point having .30cal cleaning gear if you buy a .22 or a .45 cal rifle no point buying a scope till you know what youre using it on and for.. licence first, safe second, firearm 3rd everything else will follow.
Cheers
MF
"Agriculture is our wisest pursuit, because it will in the end contribute most to real wealth, good morals and happiness." Thomas Jefferson
MalleeFarmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Return to Queensland gun laws