Prohibited Pistols WT???

Questions about New South Wales gun and ammunition laws. NSW Firearms Act 1996.

Prohibited Pistols WT???

Post by chewbacca » 13 Oct 2017, 5:12 am

Doesn't anyone know why some pistols are classified as "Prohibited"?

I.e. in NSW, a pistol with a barrel length of less than 120mm is deemed prohibited and/or a pistol with a calibre of more than 9mm is also prohibited

I just don't understand why.
chewbacca
Recruit
Recruit

-

Re: Prohibited Pistols WT???

Post by Wombat » 13 Oct 2017, 5:35 am

Really? Just illogical laws brought in after the Monash shootings.
Wombat
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by chewbacca » 13 Oct 2017, 5:40 am

Wombat wrote:Really? Just illogical laws brought in after the Monash shootings.

Here is an excerpt from the act:

In this Act, prohibited pistol means any of the following kinds of pistol:
(a) a pistol with a calibre of more than .38 inch,
(b) a self-loading pistol with a barrel length of less than 120 mm,
(c) a revolver with a barrel length of less than 100 mm,
chewbacca
Recruit
Recruit

-

Post by Daddybang » 13 Oct 2017, 7:31 am

Trying to work out why "they" do things will just give ya a headache!!!! :thumbsup:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by doc » 13 Oct 2017, 8:12 am

Standard Operating Procedure. Slowly eat away a bit at a time using some event or otherwise as an excuse for taking the next bite...

In the above instances I believe that pistols with short barrels are considered more concealable, and as mentioned above after the Monash shootings - because he used a short barrel revolver it gave the excuse to bring that in. (Yes - in practice it's an absolute joke - but so is much of what firearm decisions are based on).

Likewise with calibre - they saw an opportunity to bring that in to eat away - and did likewise.

The last one was Adler lever action shotguns. I'm pretty confident 'someone' will decide the next step will be "Why just Adler - if it's good enough for Adler, it should be for the rest - so we should ban all lever action shotguns with a mag capacity beyond xxx" - and use the fact that Adler hasn't been involved in a shooting as evidence that what they did for Adler is working - and thus have their 'evidence' that it should be applied throughout.

In the end it comes down to opportunity. Any opportunity to take more away they'll use, and in the above case, Monash was just the opportunity they needed. They've tried it with Las Vegas as well - but thankfully there's more voice now calling for scientific based decisions to be made.
doc
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

-

Post by southwest shooter » 13 Oct 2017, 8:15 am

Chip chip chipping away , it's what the pricks do .
southwest shooter
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by brett1868 » 13 Oct 2017, 10:25 am

Prohibited does not mean banned or you cannot get them, just means you need a different permit. In NSW you cannot have a barrel shorter then 120mm for the genuine reason of "Target Shooting" but you can get them if you're in the security industry. Same goes for >38Cal, you cannot have them on your Cat H license but for the genuine reason of "Metallic Silhouette / Single Action" you can apply for a "High Caliber" permit. It costs $75 and takes around 8 weeks to process, once obtained you can submit a PTA using the permits number rather then your firearms license number to get yourself anything up to a .45cal pistol. Other states even allow .50Cal handguns such as the 500 S&W Magnum or Desert Eagle 50AE but unfortunately not NSW :(
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by brett1868 » 13 Oct 2017, 10:27 am

The "Why" is it like this??? I gave up trying to understand the reasoning in order to prevent a serious brain injury :)
How's my posting?
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by 1886 » 13 Oct 2017, 9:00 pm

brett1868 wrote:..... Other states even allow .50Cal handguns such as the 500 S&W Magnum or Desert Eagle 50AE but unfortunately not NSW :

Yep, as above and semi auto 45acp along with 45/70, 460 Weatherby magnum etc are all ok in WA :D
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Wombat » 13 Oct 2017, 10:46 pm

chewbacca wrote:Doesn't anyone know why some pistols are classified as "Prohibited"?

I.e. in NSW, a pistol with a barrel length of less than 120mm is deemed prohibited and/or a pistol with a calibre of more than 9mm is also prohibited

I just don't understand why.

I think I may owe you an apology for my curt reply, It only seems like yesterday to me but really it was nearly 15 years ago. If you are under say 30 years old you probably didn't even notice it happen.
Wombat
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Rikta » 14 Oct 2017, 1:19 am

thought pistol laws were universal except for territories. as the pistol laws precede the other laws made over time and post 1996
Rem .270
Howa .223
Ruger 22lr
Lanber 12g
Rossi 410g
Rikta
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by chewbacca » 14 Oct 2017, 6:18 am

Rikta wrote:thought pistol laws were universal except for territories. as the pistol laws precede the other laws made over time and post 1996

Nahhh. Sadly no. I think it varies from state to state as well. Hence, WA is so much more relaxed than the East. Such a shame
chewbacca
Recruit
Recruit

-

Post by southeast varmiter » 14 Oct 2017, 9:57 am

Police body armour is rated to 357 mag. Larger calibers are considered then to be “prohibited”
southeast varmiter
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by brett1868 » 14 Oct 2017, 1:46 pm

southeast varmiter wrote:Police body armour is rated to 357 mag. Larger calibers are considered then to be “prohibited”

Check out the FN Five7 pistol round, .223 in caliber and capable of shredding body armour that a 45ACP barely dents....Size doesn't always equate to more power or penetration but lets not let common sense get in the way of a pointless ban :D
How's my posting?
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Return to New South Wales gun laws