Illegal Hunter busted

Questions about Victorian gun and ammunition laws. Victorian Firearms Act 1996.

Re: Illegal Hunter busted

Post by bullzeye » 26 Oct 2017, 3:55 pm

This guy deserved everything he got.

If i had people with firarms on my property - uninvited, I'd want them busted too.
bullzeye
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Member-Deleted » 26 Oct 2017, 7:56 pm

It's not really straight forward and simple sometimes if they're on your property uninvited maybe they got lost and entered your property
unintentionally although they should try to learn about the area before hunting it but some people don't and that's their first mistake
But those that go on properties intentionally without permission and keep doing it need to be taught a lesson otherwise they won't stop
and that in itself could cause an accident of some kind
If he is a repeat offender then up him for the rent but if it's 1off then throw a little his way but put him on notice and if caught again ''EVER'' poaching
then the double the penalty and remove his guns Poachers will then start to sit up and take notice
Member-Deleted

Post by Wombat » 26 Oct 2017, 8:57 pm

People doing the wrong thing reflect badly on the rest of us by association. Giving them the tacit approval of leaving them be will lead to worse things, lost stock,cut fences etc. Just report them, no need to confront.
Wombat
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Member-Deleted » 26 Oct 2017, 9:47 pm

Very sound advice Wombat we had an instance a couple years ago not far from me a farmer beat up on two poachers
So when they left they apparently threw a chain around his double gates and tore them clean off their hinges
so he actually lost that one took weeks to get his stock back
Member-Deleted

Post by Gwion » 27 Oct 2017, 1:37 pm

Poachers and tresspassers often cover multiple properties so anonymously reporting incidents gives them no clear idea who 'dobbed them in'. Confonting them and then reporting them is probably givingthe game away.
Any other course of action (other than cowering under the bed and hoping thedy go away) is getting into legally dodgy ground.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Return to Victorian gun laws