Definition of 'Boot'

Questions about Queensland gun and ammunition laws. QLD Weapons Act 1990.

Definition of 'Boot'

Post by holden4th » 24 Oct 2017, 7:25 pm

Hello, my first post and some questions.

I'm a newly licensed QLD pistol shooter, my revolver arrives in the next few days and I have some questions regarding the transportation of my gun.

In WA, where I've been shooting, I put my gun bag with pistol, ammo etc in the back of my Patrol, made sure it was covered and had no issues. From what I can gather the laws here in QLD are slightly different. I have to have my ammo separate from my gun. I can carry all this in the boot of my vehicle - I assume that is because it is out of sight. My Patrol technically doesn't have a boot but it does have a lockable back door. Would this qualify the back of my 4by, behind the two rows of seats, as a boot? Your advice, experience would be appreciated.
holden4th
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Re: Definition of 'Boot'

Post by on_one_wheel » 24 Oct 2017, 9:40 pm

Welcome along Holden4th

Wagons don't have boots.

If you have a cargo barrier then the back might be considered a separate compartment therefore the you might be expected to keep it in the back and out of sight.

If you don't have a cargo barrier then it's just ment to be out of plain sight.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Daddybang » 25 Oct 2017, 6:42 am

holden4th wrote:Hello, my first post and some questions.

I'm a newly licensed QLD pistol shooter, my revolver arrives in the next few days and I have some questions regarding the transportation of my gun.

In WA, where I've been shooting, I put my gun bag with pistol, ammo etc in the back of my Patrol, made sure it was covered and had no issues. From what I can gather the laws here in QLD are slightly different. I have to have my ammo separate from my gun. I can carry all this in the boot of my vehicle - I assume that is because it is out of sight. My Patrol technically doesn't have a boot but it does have a lockable back door. Would this qualify the back of my 4by, behind the two rows of seats, as a boot? Your advice, experience would be appreciated.

Gday holden :welcome:

As long as you can lock the door it's fine just cover with a blanket etc. And don't forget to store ammo in a separate lockable container. :thumbsup:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by holden4th » 26 Oct 2017, 7:03 pm

Thanks to both of you for the clarification. In WA I can carry my ammo in my gun bag with my gun but obviously not in QLD. The rules that I saw said a 'securely closed container' which is a bit ambiguous. I see shooters at my club walk in with their gun bags which obviously have both gun and ammunition inside.
holden4th
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Supaduke » 27 Oct 2017, 10:24 am

It's back to the "reasonable man" theory.
As long as you make an effort to secure the firearm and keep it out of sight from prying eyes you'll be fine.
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by bigM » 28 Oct 2017, 9:54 am

While it varies from state to state, in most states your car is a locked container (you need to have the doors locked).
In NSW, where I am, I still need my ammo in a separate locked container but if my glove box has a lock then this is acceptable.
"Are you ready?"
bigM
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by inventurkey » 17 Nov 2017, 1:13 pm

Supaduke wrote:It's back to the "reasonable man" theory.
As long as you make an effort to secure the firearm and keep it out of sight from prying eyes you'll be fine.

Yep.

Out of reach of occupants in the car.

Out of sight of anyone passing by.

Done :thumbsup:
Savage Axis Stainless in .308
Tikka Lite .22-250 Rem
inventurkey
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Return to Queensland gun laws