Questions about R Licence NSW

Questions about New South Wales gun and ammunition laws. NSW Firearms Act 1996.

Questions about R Licence NSW

Post by PaddyT » 29 Oct 2017, 9:46 am

G'day again,
I was chatting to my mate who will be my main hunting buddy the other day and we are both considering getting our R licences BUT one question i have is about booking. If and when we book a bit of State forest for a hunt in NSW it seems to me that we can only book as individuals- So does that mean if we wanted to go as a pair -or bring one of our sons along- we cant hunt together- whats everyones thoughts on this? thanks
PaddyT
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Re: Questions about R Licence NSW

Post by Archie » 29 Oct 2017, 11:39 am

You both (separately) book the same forest. Most of them will have spots for 10-30 hunters and usually only have one or two hunters in them at most. Because you're both hunting, you both need licences; because the booking is connected to your licence, you each book individually. But there's nothing to stop two people with individual written permissions hunting together once you actually arrive.

If you do bring the kids along (I assume they are too young to get a licence?) then they can't "hunt" - i.e. carry a rifle/bow. But there's nothing to stop them going for a bushwalk with dad while dad hunts. Go get your licence. The more responsible licenced hunters getting out there on public latter the better I reckon.

EDIT - I just realised what might be causing some confusion. To clarify - when you book on the system, you don't book a bit of the state forest for you specifically. The permission works so that it allows you to hunt in all the areas marked on the map that are specifically marked as allowed. There is nothing that stops anyone else who has booked permission for that forest for that date, from hunting the same spot as you.

There is also nothing that stops bushwalkers, trail bike riders, or anyone else from using the parts of the forest you are hunting in.
Last edited by Archie on 29 Oct 2017, 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Archie
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by PaddyT » 29 Oct 2017, 11:50 am

Thanks Archie- clarifies it .
PaddyT
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Ben78 » 30 Oct 2017, 7:12 pm

Side note, I take my kids with me. I have them wear the blaze orange too. They are not hunting (and no, I don't let them).

Best to keep off the main tracks when you are walking too, generally the crazy tree changer wannabe love-in hippy types that moved to the piece of paradise they did, did so so that they could use the adjacent forest to grow their dope without any intervention from pesky hunters. They will accost you and then write a letter to the paper complaining about public land hunting and how bullets are whizzing by their heads all night and day and it shouldn't be allowed. Forests are tops though!
Ben78
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by albat » 30 Oct 2017, 7:57 pm

be carefull in those forests ive encountered numerous crops over the years , gets your clakker pulsating for a while wondering what your going to step on
albat
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by PaddyT » 31 Oct 2017, 7:02 am

Thanks Fella's, many moons ago was doing Duke Of Ed at school and one of our walks was through Dharug NP near Wisemans Ferry and we were crossing a fire trail before heading up into the hills and bloody hell this Ferrari went flying by us down this back roads track at about 130kmh. As we went up higher and came round the spur we could see said Ferrari parked next to a very suspicious looking patch of cleared greenery. We didnt used to see a lot of Ferraris in western Sydney in the 1980's- except for good old Geoffery Edelsteins around Dural and Castle Hill- and no the red Ferrari wasnt his!
PaddyT
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by AusC » 15 Nov 2017, 3:40 pm

albat wrote:be carefull in those forests ive encountered numerous crops over the years , gets your clakker pulsating for a while wondering what your going to step on

Call them in.

Cops would be more than happy to take a look and remove it all I'm sure.

They've probably set up elsewhere too but at least you can have it cleared out of the parts you find. Hopefully the element that put it there follows once they know the area is marked.
300 Win Mag Tikka T3 Lite.
4-12x42 Zeiss Terra.
AusC
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Return to New South Wales gun laws