NSW Gun Safe Installation

Questions about New South Wales gun and ammunition laws. NSW Firearms Act 1996.

NSW Gun Safe Installation

Post by oldjohnny » 03 Nov 2017, 10:18 am

Hey all,

So I have recently had my AB Gun Safe installed and my PTA submitted.

However when the safe was installed the installer was unenthusiastic about installing it in my house due to its structure. :thumbsdown: So we installed it in our back shed, 12x100 mm dynabots right into the concrete slab.

I don't own any power tools outside of a cheap drill and I leave that in the house. You cant see the safe from outside, and the shed has a locking sliding door and the garage door on it is permanently locked with a small pad lock holding the locking rails in.

If anything did happen, and I followed the requirements of leaving the rifles in the safe and the ammo locked up in the separate area for it, do you think the cops would have much to get me on?

This damn things keeping me up at night :crazy:
oldjohnny
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Re: NSW Gun Safe Installation

Post by SendIt » 03 Nov 2017, 11:30 am

Hey Johnny,

Having your safe installed in a shed or garage is allowed. Without seeing the actual installation I can't promise anything, but assuming everything is secured properly you will have met the standard and taken "reasonable precautions" to prevent theft if your firearms.

When mounted onto brick, stone or concrete, it should be attached by at least four (4) masonry anchors 90mm in length and 10mm in diameter internally fitted through holes in the rear and/or base of the container, securing it to the floor and/or wall. The receptacle should be mounted flush with the floor and/or wall.

http://www.police.nsw.gov.au/__data/ass ... 5_V1.6.pdf

Just think of what else you can reasonably do.

If the bolt is secured to the floor only, put a extra bolt or two in to secure it to the wall as well. Being secured on 2 axis like that increases the difficulty of getting it out immensely. Personally I think this is a must.

You're not storing problematic tools in the same shed, so that's good.

Could the shed easily be made more secure? A second lock?

Sounds like you've met the requirements, maybe just look at a good good practice things now :thumbsup:
Sako 85 Hunter Laminated Stainless 30-06 Sprg
Zeiss Conquest HD5 2-10x42

Winchester 1892 44-40
SendIt
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by oldjohnny » 03 Nov 2017, 12:06 pm

Well I get the sense posting photos might not be looked upon positivity by the police. :lol:

But thanks, I needed to hear that.

I have been looking into another door lock, and a simple motion detector that squeels as loud as possible, :)

Unfortunately there's not much substantial behind the safe to bolt it into, the local police said that's fine over the phone though, they no longer see it as required. But I'll still look into it.

Thanks again :)
oldjohnny
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Bourt » 03 Nov 2017, 3:07 pm

Whatever you're comfortable with mate but there shouldn't be any problem posting photos if you're sensible.

Just make sure all you can see is the safe and floor/wall. No identifying background, no toolboxes with your name on it or anything like that, then people can give you specific advice instead of general thinking.

Just my 2c.
Bourt
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by RealNick » 15 Nov 2017, 3:02 pm

oldjohnny wrote:I have been looking into another door lock, and a simple motion detector that squeels as loud as possible, :)

Unfortunately there's not much substantial behind the safe to bolt it into, the local police said that's fine over the phone though, they no longer see it as required. But I'll still look into it.

You can get battery alarms and detector from Bunnings, pretty cheap if I remember correctly.

One things blokes do as well for a bit more grit is add weights to the safe. Doesn't count for anything legally, but if you stack enough in the bottom it makes it that much harder to get out.
RealNick
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Prettybird » 17 Nov 2017, 1:22 pm

SendIt wrote:You're not storing problematic tools in the same shed, so that's good.

I'd be interested to read something official on that.

I googled without any luck.

Interesting point, what tools would have to be in the shed for you to be said to have failed your storage requirements if it was broken into.

Feels like a grey one as it is.

Hmm.
Prettybird
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Archie » 17 Nov 2017, 2:48 pm

Prettybird wrote:
SendIt wrote:You're not storing problematic tools in the same shed, so that's good.

I'd be interested to read something official on that.

I googled without any luck.

Interesting point, what tools would have to be in the shed for you to be said to have failed your storage requirements if it was broken into.

Feels like a grey one as it is.

Hmm.

There isn't anything official because it's not in the regulations, or in the act. It is a recommendation however that you don't (see page 3)

http://www.police.nsw.gov.au/__data/ass ... 180816.pdf

Bear in mind that they can cancel your licence pretty much because they feel like it. So maybe you would not get done for failing your storage requirements in that scenario but there's lots of other ways to ruin your day. I don't know but I would imagine, that if someone breaks into your shed and then gets into the safe using the angle grinder you keep next to it, it's not going to look great. The most important part of the act is the bit about "Any person in possession of a firearm must take all reasonable precautions to ensure the firearm is kept safely, is not lost or stolen and does not come into the possession of an unauthorised person".

Get a magistrate on a bad day, I don't know if leaving power tools that could be used to break into the safe, with the safe, is going to pass the "all reasonable precautions" test.

One of the issues raised when they did the most recent legislative review of the act, was storage of firearms in farm sheds. Basically because they are often out of sight, and they often left alone for long periods, and they often have tools. That's why you can't store anymore in a building that's not a residence unless you can easily observe the building from the residence.
Archie
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Return to New South Wales gun laws