Handgun storage WA

Questions about Western Australian gun and ammunition laws. W.A. Firearms Act 1973.

Handgun storage WA

Post by AndyZ » 09 Nov 2017, 4:37 pm

A local dealer advised that I could store a Cat H (handgun) in a regular Cat A+B safe with long arms in WA. A search of the WAPOL storage requirements doesn't specifically state what the requirements are for handguns. Looking to add a cat H to my licence and obviously don't want to fall foul of the law. What do most people do in WA? Add a specific Cat H rated safe or is an A and B safe satisfactory? TIA
Tikka T3X .223 Rem
Howa 1500 GRS 6.5mm CM
Remington 700 .308 Win
Ruger American .22LR
AndyZ
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Re: Handgun storage WA

Post by Daddybang » 09 Nov 2017, 8:23 pm

AndyZ wrote:A local dealer advised that I could store a Cat H (handgun) in a regular Cat A+B safe with long arms in WA. A search of the WAPOL storage requirements doesn't specifically state what the requirements are for handguns. Looking to add a cat H to my licence and obviously don't want to fall foul of the law. What do most people do in WA? Add a specific Cat H rated safe or is an A and B safe satisfactory? TIA

I'm not in WA but I always thought cat a/b safes were for cat a/b firearms and cat h safes were for cat h firearms(?) :unknown:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by 1886 » 10 Nov 2017, 11:35 pm

Andy

The dealer is correct. WA is more liberal than our Eastern counterparts :D and does not have specific safe requirements for specific category firearms.

You can put any handguns in a safe that may also contain long arms of any category, ie the shelf etc.

The safe just has to comply with Schedule 4 of the Regs as far as its construction goes so just ask the dealer to confirm the safe he is selling complies in this regard.
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Daddybang » 11 Nov 2017, 1:45 pm

1886 wrote:Andy

The dealer is correct. WA is more liberal than our Eastern counterparts :D and does not have specific safe requirements for specific category firearms.

Hahahahahahaha!!! :lol: :drinks:

Seriously though it's a surprise ya allowed to do this! :lol: :drinks:
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by AndyZ » 12 Nov 2017, 4:35 pm

Thanks guys. Not like WAPOL to be more liberal than the eastern states cops!
Tikka T3X .223 Rem
Howa 1500 GRS 6.5mm CM
Remington 700 .308 Win
Ruger American .22LR
AndyZ
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by BBJ » 13 Nov 2017, 12:50 pm

AndyZ wrote:Thanks guys. Not like WAPOL to be more liberal than the eastern states cops!

WA Pol aren't doing a version of punked are they? :lol:
Weatherby Vanguard .223 Remington
Tikka T3 Varmint Stainless .243 Winchester
R.I.P. M1 Garand .30-06 Springfield

Leupold VX-R 4-12x40
BBJ
Corporal
Corporal

Northern Territory

Post by 1886 » 13 Nov 2017, 9:18 pm

No, it just makes it easier for all concerned for us to be able to store our big handguns such as the 500 S&W Magnum, Desert Eagle 50AE, 45/70 and 460 Weatherby Magnums. :drinks:
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Yelp » 15 Nov 2017, 10:56 am

So you don't have categories in WA?

Just 'guns' ?

Not my neighbourhood but just saying Cat A/B safe, Cat H firearm.

Seems pretty clear cut.

What's the deal there?
Yelp
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by 1886 » 15 Nov 2017, 10:22 pm

We have the same firearm categories as other States inline with the National Firearms Agreement categories but no safe categories, ie they can all go in the same safe.

Safes must comply with construction standards as per a schedule to the regulations. But if you have no long arms only handguns there for sure you can just use the various small handgun safes etc. I use two of these for ammo safes :D
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Harts » 17 Nov 2017, 1:46 pm

Amazing, common sense in WA firearms law.

Didn't think it was possible :lol:
Harts
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by duncan61 » 18 Nov 2017, 6:56 pm

I have a basic buffalo river 3 gun safe and handguns fit in the lock box in the top part.Cant see the problem.In 30 years I have never seen police over storage issues,When I moved recently I sent photos of the 10mm x 75mm bolts and 40mm washers securing the box in 4 places and its all good.I am still not quite sure what the deal is with W.A.firearm regs at the range the other day an elderly shooter stated we have good laws.I actually got him to repeat it and agreed with him.What am I missing I am sure some people would like to tune me in
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by Daddybang » 19 Nov 2017, 7:13 am

duncan61 wrote:I have a basic buffalo river 3 gun safe and handguns fit in the lock box in the top part.Cant see the problem.In 30 years I have never seen police over storage issues,When I moved recently I sent photos of the 10mm x 75mm bolts and 40mm washers securing the box in 4 places and its all good.I am still not quite sure what the deal is with W.A.firearm regs at the range the other day an elderly shooter stated we have good laws.I actually got him to repeat it and agreed with him.What am I missing I am sure some people would like to tune me in

1: ridiculous land requirements for use of rifles
2:criminal prices for pta's

That's just the two that stand out!! But if ya happy with the way wa firearms laws are that's good ya the one who has to live with them!! :lol: :lol: :drinks:
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Rifle realist » 19 Nov 2017, 11:29 am

The laws we live with in the West are not as bad as everyone says. I agree with the genuine need requirement, if you do not belong to a club/range or have sufficient land to shoot on then you don't have a reason to have a firearm.
Do what everyone else does and join a club, get some contacts and get permission to hunt/shoot on their properties, if you do the right thing you will be invited back and often make some very good friends.
I live and work in the pastoral regions and I see the damage irresponsible idiots do to fences,mills and livestock.
I belong to 2 clubs and enjoy the competition,it is the easiest way to get a licence and make contacts.
The only thing I agree on is the cost of applications.
Sako quad .22 WMR 3-9X40 Leupold VXI
Anchutz 1430-1434 .22 Hornet 4 X 40 Bushnell
Sako 85 Varmint .260 Rem 4.5-14X50 Leupold VXIII
Sako 85 Hunter .338 Win Mag 3.5-10X40 Leupold VXIII
Marlin 1895 45/70
Assorted .22s & Shotguns
Rifle realist
Private
Private

Western Australia

Post by duncan61 » 19 Nov 2017, 12:23 pm

Good answers.I appreciate its expensive for people getting in to shooting for the first time.
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by dpskipper » 21 Nov 2017, 8:08 am

Rifle realist wrote:The laws we live with in the West are not as bad as everyone says. I agree with the genuine need requirement, if you do not belong to a club/range or have sufficient land to shoot on then you don't have a reason to have a firearm.
Do what everyone else does and join a club, get some contacts and get permission to hunt/shoot on their properties, if you do the right thing you will be invited back and often make some very good friends.
I live and work in the pastoral regions and I see the damage irresponsible idiots do to fences,mills and livestock.
I belong to 2 clubs and enjoy the competition,it is the easiest way to get a licence and make contacts.
The only thing I agree on is the cost of applications.

Its the actions of a few that ruin it for everyone.
Wedgetail WT15
Riverman OAF
Desert Tech SRS
Adler 7 shot
dpskipper
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by holden4th » 22 Nov 2017, 7:35 pm

Sounds like WA is a good place to have firearms compared to the Eastern states? Think again. In Qld I can buy a gun safe that covers A, B And H as you can in WA. The difference is the storage of munitions. In QLD I can place my primers, brass and gunpowder in a simple container that is 'secure' provided it's not in my gun safe. You can't do that in WA. It needs to be put in some sort of lockable container.

The major issue for WA firearms owners is transport. If you're driving to the range and back then it's no problem. If you want to sell your firearm after you find a customer then you now have to use a WAPOL approved courier if the buyer is not close to you. The cost is exorbitant.
holden4th
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by knowsnothin » 23 Nov 2017, 7:09 am

WA problems. amongst others.
no hunting on public land. failing hunters, farmers, environmentalists.
Having to purchase a firearm before you can apply to possess one. No PTA system.
additions nearly $300, up to 10 week wait.
unable to possess other persons firearm of the same calibre you are licensed for.
minimum land requirements.
innert brass (including fired) and projectiles must be stored in safe.

I'm sure there are others.
knowsnothin
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by 1886 » 23 Nov 2017, 1:46 pm

holden4th wrote:Sounds like WA is a good place to have firearms compared to the Eastern states? Think again. In Qld I can buy a gun safe that covers A, B And H as you can in WA. The difference is the storage of munitions. In QLD I can place my primers, brass and gunpowder in a simple container that is 'secure' provided it's not in my gun safe. You can't do that in WA. It needs to be put in some sort of lockable container.

The major issue for WA firearms owners is transport. If you're driving to the range and back then it's no problem. If you want to sell your firearm after you find a customer then you now have to use a WAPOL approved courier if the buyer is not close to you. The cost is exorbitant.

Wow are you for real. You forgot to mention after you put these munition items in a secure container you then have to lock them in a room, drawer, cupboard etc with different key combinations in a separate area than your firearms. WTF is that wank or don't you follow your laws.

You must store the SAA in a secured area in a separate area from firearms (with different locks and different keys or combinations), unless you’re authorised to do so under the Weapons Act 1990. A secured area might include a drawer, cabinet, cupboard, room or other enclosure that’s locked when no one is around.

I'd much rather have my situation where all these items including my guns are in my gun and reloading "room" with simple easy access to all and which I'm also sitting in now as it also contains my pc :D . I can also freely go in or out as it doesn't have to be locked as these items are all in individual safes, boxes etc in the SAME room.

And what is this further QLD reloading BS.

Note: A shooter who reloads their own SAA for their own use is a manufacturer. Reloaded SAA doesn’t need to be packed into original packaging (as above). The packaging or containers for SAA need only be similar to the original packaging supplied at retail. The SAA should be:

encased in packaging that’s clearly marked on the outside surface with the calibre, characteristics of the loaded SAA and maximum quantity of SAA.

So you have to then clearly mark and describe all of your reloaded ammo on the outside of each container. Man that is ridiculous.

The major issue for WA firearms owners is transport.

Mate, that has to be the most ill informed comment yet. Compared to WA, Qld has the the most restrictive transport laws on the planet. I don't even know where to start and it would take too long to describe them. But here's a small sample.

When you transport any firearm to a club or hunting etc you have to remove the bolt and put it in a separate container and if unable to remove it, fit a freaking trigger lock. Followed with a maze of locked metal container usage scenario's and resultant requirements which probably also relate to transporting your required ammo.

Whilst common sense would normally prevail, QLD also has to spell it out in case you don't have any and advise if you stop for petrol, burger or a quick slash, you cannot leave an unlocked vehicle with a firearm present unless someone else who has a firearms licence is present. Give me a break. You have to always take a mate with a licence just in case you forget to lock your freaking car.

Now compared to WA's transport laws our Act just stipulates that we just take reasonable precautions . Fairly simple and relies on common sense so you be the judge of whose got the best transport laws.

In addition, a quote from WA Commissioner of Police to recent Law Reform Commission's review relating to transport of firearms;
"When firearms are in transit, for instance conveyed in a car boot or back seat, the owner being present would be sufficient security. If a vehicle is left unattended for a short period (e.g. parked outside a shop to purchase goods), WA Police would expect the firearm to be removed from common view, the bolt and/or magazine separated from the firearm and the vehicle to be locked."

Note, "would expect" and no freaking trigger locks or boxes and if you don't lock it you don't need to have dragged a freaking licenced mate along to be present. So in reality whilst driving it could even be laying against the passenger seat but common sense would mean we would at least cover it and also lock up if going for a slash.

If you want to sell your firearm after you find a customer then you now have to use a WAPOL approved courier if the buyer is not close to you. The cost is exorbitant.

So what is the cost ? This is Police policy only and it initially only related to carriers of Police firearms, ie to remote police stations. It stemmed for a carrier crashing on a country road and 3 Glocks were missing when it was finally retrieved and unloaded :D . It's still being debated.

But either way what's the go, do you sell a gun every week so this would be a major problem versus yours and our general firearms transport requirements.

Surely you would just take it to your nearest dealer who then ships it to the buyers dealer and the buyer picks up these costs so what's the problem. I can legally ship any firearm myself direct to a buyers dealer in another State but I bet you can't. Confused the hell out of a NSW dealer who panicked when I shipped him two revolvers direct that I sold on Used Guns.

But at the end of the day no State has what could be classed by us shooters as perfect legislation as they all have differences and various restrictions of their own with good and bad points.
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by holden4th » 03 Dec 2017, 6:37 pm

1886 wrote:
holden4th wrote:Sounds like WA is a good place to have firearms compared to the Eastern states? Think again. In Qld I can buy a gun safe that covers A, B And H as you can in WA. The difference is the storage of munitions. In QLD I can place my primers, brass and gunpowder in a simple container that is 'secure' provided it's not in my gun safe. You can't do that in WA. It needs to be put in some sort of lockable container.

Wow are you for real. You forgot to mention after you put these munition items in a secure container you then have to lock them in a room, drawer, cupboard etc with different key combinations in a separate area than your firearms. WTF is that wank or don't you follow your laws.

You must store the SAA in a secured area in a separate area from firearms (with different locks and different keys or combinations), unless you’re authorised to do so under the Weapons Act 1990. A secured area might include a drawer, cabinet, cupboard, room or other enclosure that’s locked when no one is around.

I'd much rather have my situation where all these items including my guns are in my gun and reloading "room" with simple easy access to all and which I'm also sitting in now as it also contains my pc :D . I can also freely go in or out as it doesn't have to be locked as these items are all in individual safes, boxes etc in the SAME room.

And what is this further QLD reloading BS.

Note: A shooter who reloads their own SAA for their own use is a manufacturer. Reloaded SAA doesn’t need to be packed into original packaging (as above). The packaging or containers for SAA need only be similar to the original packaging supplied at retail. The SAA should be:

encased in packaging that’s clearly marked on the outside surface with the calibre, characteristics of the loaded SAA and maximum quantity of SAA.

So you have to then clearly mark and describe all of your reloaded ammo on the outside of each container. Man that is ridiculous.

The major issue for WA firearms owners is transport.

Mate, that has to be the most ill informed comment yet. Compared to WA, Qld has the the most restrictive transport laws on the planet. I don't even know where to start and it would take too long to describe them. But here's a small sample.

When you transport any firearm to a club or hunting etc you have to remove the bolt and put it in a separate container and if unable to remove it, fit a freaking trigger lock. Followed with a maze of locked metal container usage scenario's and resultant requirements which probably also relate to transporting your required ammo.

Whilst common sense would normally prevail, QLD also has to spell it out in case you don't have any and advise if you stop for petrol, burger or a quick slash, you cannot leave an unlocked vehicle with a firearm present unless someone else who has a firearms licence is present. Give me a break. You have to always take a mate with a licence just in case you forget to lock your freaking car.

Now compared to WA's transport laws our Act just stipulates that we just take reasonable precautions . Fairly simple and relies on common sense so you be the judge of whose got the best transport laws.

In addition, a quote from WA Commissioner of Police to recent Law Reform Commission's review relating to transport of firearms;
"When firearms are in transit, for instance conveyed in a car boot or back seat, the owner being present would be sufficient security. If a vehicle is left unattended for a short period (e.g. parked outside a shop to purchase goods), WA Police would expect the firearm to be removed from common view, the bolt and/or magazine separated from the firearm and the vehicle to be locked."

Note, "would expect" and no freaking trigger locks or boxes and if you don't lock it you don't need to have dragged a freaking licenced mate along to be present. So in reality whilst driving it could even be laying against the passenger seat but common sense would mean we would at least cover it and also lock up if going for a slash.

If you want to sell your firearm after you find a customer then you now have to use a WAPOL approved courier if the buyer is not close to you. The cost is exorbitant.

So what is the cost ? This is Police policy only and it initially only related to carriers of Police firearms, ie to remote police stations. It stemmed for a carrier crashing on a country road and 3 Glocks were missing when it was finally retrieved and unloaded :D . It's still being debated.

But either way what's the go, do you sell a gun every week so this would be a major problem versus yours and our general firearms transport requirements.

Surely you would just take it to your nearest dealer who then ships it to the buyers dealer and the buyer picks up these costs so what's the problem. I can legally ship any firearm myself direct to a buyers dealer in another State but I bet you can't. Confused the hell out of a NSW dealer who panicked when I shipped him two revolvers direct that I sold on Used Guns.

But at the end of the day no State has what could be classed by us shooters as perfect legislation as they all have differences and various restrictions of their own with good and bad points.

Yes, I am for real. The majority of my shooting has been done in WA. First, I'll address storage in QLD. I do not need to store my primers, powder, etc in a locked container. It just has to be out of sight and not within reach of children, etc. I have checked this with both my dealer and QPOL.

If I'm transporting my gear to my club, provided the ammo and the gun are separate, all they have to be is out of sight and a vehicle is classed as a locked container. In WA I can carry everything in my gun bag and have done so. Wish I could do so here in Qld but it's a minor inconvenience.

If you'd like to check (it's on Youtube), WAPOL have decided that there are only 11 couriers/transporters who may now transport firearms in the state, even if it's from dealer to dealer (which it doesn't have to be in WA). As they now have a monopoly they charge huge prices to ship within WA. Any dealer will tell you this. I've just got a revolver over from WA. The only way to get around the approved courier issue was to break the revolver down. What happened was the cylinder was removed from the gun and technically it was classed as gun parts. $70 was a hell of a lot cheaper than the $350 quoted by one of WAPOLs 'approved' couriers. Who approved them and why?

Finally, down to the wording of the laws from both states. Using words or phrases such as "would expect", "might include", leave a lot to the imagination and carry very little legal weight.

The last issue about transportation. If you want to come over here to Qld to shoot and hold valid licences for your guns in WA then that is not a problem. The reverse is not so simple. Despite being the holder of a QLD category H licence, to get my gun into WA would require me to apply for a 'temporary' permit. If I want to buy ammo in WA, I need a temporary permit.

It's worth noting that holding a category "H" licence means that I can shoot any handgun at any range in QLD (and NSW, Victoria, SA). In WA the owner of the gun has to be with me on the range for me to shoot it. WA doesn't actually licence the shooter, it licences the gun. If you have 7 guns then you have seven licences. I can own 7 guns in QLD without any major paperwork as they are all attached to my category of licence. I can take a mates gun down to the range and shoot it without him being there.

I enjoy shooting and the IPSC/ICORE community in WA.I'll be there in April for two weeks and will go and shoot at OGSA. Will I be bringing my own gun, no way because that's in the too hard basket.
holden4th
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Return to Western Australia gun laws