Getting Liscence in Vic

Questions about Victorian gun and ammunition laws. Victorian Firearms Act 1996.

Getting Liscence in Vic

Post by Alex98 » 15 Nov 2017, 10:53 am

Hi.
I just joined this forum, and it looks really helpful.

I just have a quick question: I booked my firearms safety course the other day, which I will do next month. However, I am unsure what I should be putting down on the paperwork for "reason" why I want a firearm license. I want to get a Lee-enfield, for target shooting, and maybe plink a rabbit occasionally. I read on a website the other day that you had to be a member of a shooting or hunting association to be able to do either.

Anyone know any recent rules on this stuff?

Cheers!
Alex98
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Re: Getting Liscence in Vic

Post by No1Mk3 » 15 Nov 2017, 2:39 pm

G'day Alex98,
I always recommend putting both hunting and target shooting as "Genuine Reason". There are some slight, but real, inhibitions on only using one or the other depending on how far into either you venture. It doesn't hurt to use both. As for membership of an organization, it is not needed for hunting, but all formal target shooting will require membership of a club of some sort. Joining SSAA is a "one stop shop" for both reasons and includes the monthly magazine and access to very good insurance to cover your guns at home and in the field. Also reduces the cost of going to a SSAA range such as Springvale, Eagle Park, or one of the country ranges. Welcome aboard.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Supaduke » 15 Nov 2017, 2:44 pm

No1Mk3 wrote:G'day Alex98,
I always recommend putting both hunting and target shooting as "Genuine Reason". There are some slight, but real, inhibitions on only using one or the other depending on how far into either you venture. It doesn't hurt to use both. As for membership of an organization, it is not needed for hunting, but all formal target shooting will require membership of a club of some sort. Joining SSAA is a "one stop shop" for both reasons and includes the monthly magazine and access to very good insurance to cover your guns at home and in the field. Also reduces the cost of going to a SSAA range such as Springvale, Eagle Park, or one of the country ranges. Welcome aboard.

+1

It's about $80 a year. And 4 visits to the range will reimburse you on savings. There are cheaper options but SSAA membership covers everything and you get something to read on the sh1tter once a month.
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by Alex98 » 15 Nov 2017, 3:05 pm

Thanks guys, appreciate the help.
Alex98
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by marksman » 15 Nov 2017, 3:14 pm

you can also go to the DSE office near you and for $12 you can purchase a permit with the intent on hunting pest animals on crown land and still put down target shooting, this permit is only required for the sake of a genuine reason for getting your firearms licence you do not need a permit to hunt pest animals on crown land,
I wont go into my opinion of the ssaa vic but will say if you use this as your genuine reason you must stay a member for the duration of the licence
I will say the magazine is only good for wiping your backside with so the ****** is a good place to hide it
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 15 Nov 2017, 3:49 pm

Alex98 wrote:Hi.

I just have a quick question: I booked my firearms safety course the other day, which I will do next month. However, I am unsure what I should be putting down on the paperwork for "reason" why I want a firearm license. I want to get a Lee-enfield, for target shooting, and maybe plink a rabbit occasionally. I read on a website the other day that you had to be a member of a shooting or hunting association to be able to do either.

Cheers!

Put target and hunting.
Being in Victoria you don't need to join any clubs, just get the Expression of Interest in Hunting Pest Animals on Crown Land, that's all you need.
Make sure you apply for A and B Categories as well.
What area are you in?
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by juststarting » 15 Nov 2017, 5:37 pm

marksman wrote:you can also go to the DSE office near you and for $12 you can purchase a permit with the intent on hunting pest animals on crown land

You need this, if you're going to put hunting as a reason. That is, you need to attach a copy of this letter to your licence application form.

You need to join (I feel dirty) SSAA to have target shooting as a reason. So you need that too, to staple to the application form.

You should tick both (target and hunting) on the application form.
You should also tick A and B, not just B. That way you are not limited in the future. And can buy 22 and a shotgun.
---
https://reloadingstudio.com
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by Alex98 » 15 Nov 2017, 7:00 pm

bladeracer wrote:

Cheers!

Put target and hunting.
Being in Victoria you don't need to join any clubs, just get the Expression of Interest in Hunting Pest Animals on Crown Land, that's all you need.
What area are you in?

Thanks for the info, I'm in East Gippsland, near Bairnsdale.
Alex98
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Alex98 » 15 Nov 2017, 7:01 pm

juststarting wrote:
marksman wrote:you can also go to the DSE office near you and for $12 you can purchase a permit with the intent on hunting pest animals on crown land

You need this, if you're going to put hunting as a reason. That is, you need to attach a copy of this letter to your licence application form.

You need to join (I feel dirty) SSAA to have target shooting as a reason. So you need that too, to staple to the application form.

You should tick both (target and hunting) on the application form.
You should also tick A and B, not just B. That way you are not limited in the future. And can buy 22 and a shotgun.

Ok, thanks.
Alex98
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 15 Nov 2017, 7:09 pm

Alex98 wrote:What area are you in?

Thanks for the info, I'm in East Gippsland, near Bairnsdale.[/quote]

Cool, I'm not far out of Traralgon/Morwell.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Alex98 » 15 Nov 2017, 7:16 pm

bladeracer wrote:
Alex98 wrote:What area are you in?

Thanks for the info, I'm in East Gippsland, near Bairnsdale.

Cool, I'm not far out of Traralgon/Morwell.[/quote]

Nice.
Alex98
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Alex98 » 15 Nov 2017, 7:25 pm

bentaz wrote:If you know any land owners you can get a letter off them say you can hunt pests on their land instead of the expression of interest public blah blah..

Ok, no worries. Dont know too many land owners, so might have to go with the pest hunting option.
Alex98
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by fenderstrat » 15 Nov 2017, 8:31 pm

Cheers!

Welcome Alex! Good to see the interest in the good old .303. I would advice you to get a .22 rifle first, with iron sights, if you are keen on shooting military rifles. That way you can train cheaply and most importanly, you dont have to deal with recoil, so you dont develop a flinch.
Getting a Lee Enfield was why I got my license, First I got a cheap savage mkII, then a '43 Lithgow SMLE. now I have four military rifles in the safe! (+22 rifle and pistol)
fenderstrat
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by juststarting » 15 Nov 2017, 8:59 pm

Get both or if it's a choice, 303, because milsurp will be more expensive later than now. Unless you like paying more for stuff.
---
https://reloadingstudio.com
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 16 Nov 2017, 6:33 am

bladeracer wrote:Put target and hunting.
What area are you in?

Yep, just pay the $12 that's all you need.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Gun-nut » 16 Nov 2017, 11:26 am

If I remember correctly you need a piece of evidence for each genuine reason you provide, so if you choose hunting you'll need either a game licence or an expression of interest to hunt pest animals. And if you tick target/competition shooting, you'll need an application form from a club. I'd suggest getting the game licence if hunting deer and other game animals interests you as you can hunt both game/pest animals with it, if not, it might be cheaper to go with the expression of interest for vermin etc. Welcome to the forum :)
Gun-nut
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 16 Nov 2017, 6:57 pm

You only need the " Expression of Interest in Hunting Pest Animals on Crown Land, that's all you need. $12.
Make sure you apply for A and B Categories as well."
It allows you to shoot at ranges/clubs too.

You could use the $40 game lic if you want but the above is acceptable/OK. .
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Alex98 » 16 Nov 2017, 7:20 pm

Thanks a lot guys for the stream of info. I'll definitely consider getting a .22 for breaking myself in.
Alex98
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Zarrs » 18 Nov 2017, 4:20 pm

Cheers!

You can most likely do your safety course a lot quicker if you call the fire arms officer in your area and ask when the next one is. I booked mine and like you waited a month, but a lot of people just turned up on the night as they had spoken to the fire arms officer and he told them to just come down.
My wife was one of those people, we spoke to the fire arms officer and she just came on the night and he added her name to the list.
Zarrs
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by JJD » 19 Nov 2017, 6:03 am

Welcome Alex
I started off on the same path early this year. Now I’ve got a few rifles including an Enfield No4mk1 which has been insanely fun to shoot. Like the other guys have mentioned here, I started out with a .22 and would definitely recommend it. They are cheap to shoot, fun, quiet and you’ll always want to have a .22 in your safe anyway. As for the application, here’s another tip that I’m sure you’ve probably read all over the forum already, make sure you send off a pta application(s) with your licence application so the wait time can run concurrently. All the best with the application mate. PS. I’m in Sale.
JJD
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Alex98 » 21 Nov 2017, 3:59 pm

JJD wrote:Welcome Alex
I started off on the same path early this year. Now I’ve got a few rifles including an Enfield No4mk1 which has been insanely fun to shoot. Like the other guys have mentioned here, I started out with a .22 and would definitely recommend it. They are cheap to shoot, fun, quiet and you’ll always want to have a .22 in your safe anyway. As for the application, here’s another tip that I’m sure you’ve probably read all over the forum already, make sure you send off a pta application(s) with your licence application so the wait time can run concurrently. All the best with the application mate. PS. I’m in Sale.

Thanks. :D
Alex98
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Return to Victorian gun laws