Getting Liscence in Vic

Questions about Victorian gun and ammunition laws. Victorian Firearms Act 1996.

Re: Getting Liscence in Vic

Post by Zarrs » 18 Nov 2017, 4:20 pm

Alex98 wrote:Hi.
I just joined this forum, and it looks really helpful.

I just have a quick question: I booked my firearms safety course the other day, which I will do next month. However, I am unsure what I should be putting down on the paperwork for "reason" why I want a firearm license. I want to get a Lee-enfield, for target shooting, and maybe plink a rabbit occasionally. I read on a website the other day that you had to be a member of a shooting or hunting association to be able to do either.

Anyone know any recent rules on this stuff?

Cheers!

You can most likely do your safety course a lot quicker if you call the fire arms officer in your area and ask when the next one is. I booked mine and like you waited a month, but a lot of people just turned up on the night as they had spoken to the fire arms officer and he told them to just come down.
My wife was one of those people, we spoke to the fire arms officer and she just came on the night and he added her name to the list.
Zarrs
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by JJD » 19 Nov 2017, 6:03 am

Welcome Alex
I started off on the same path early this year. Now I’ve got a few rifles including an Enfield No4mk1 which has been insanely fun to shoot. Like the other guys have mentioned here, I started out with a .22 and would definitely recommend it. They are cheap to shoot, fun, quiet and you’ll always want to have a .22 in your safe anyway. As for the application, here’s another tip that I’m sure you’ve probably read all over the forum already, make sure you send off a pta application(s) with your licence application so the wait time can run concurrently. All the best with the application mate. PS. I’m in Sale.
JJD
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Alex98 » 21 Nov 2017, 3:59 pm

JJD wrote:Welcome Alex
I started off on the same path early this year. Now I’ve got a few rifles including an Enfield No4mk1 which has been insanely fun to shoot. Like the other guys have mentioned here, I started out with a .22 and would definitely recommend it. They are cheap to shoot, fun, quiet and you’ll always want to have a .22 in your safe anyway. As for the application, here’s another tip that I’m sure you’ve probably read all over the forum already, make sure you send off a pta application(s) with your licence application so the wait time can run concurrently. All the best with the application mate. PS. I’m in Sale.

Thanks. :D
Alex98
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Return to Victorian gun laws