Bringing Ammunition into Australia

Questions about New South Wales gun and ammunition laws. NSW Firearms Act 1996.

Bringing Ammunition into Australia

Post by Yipikaye » 16 Nov 2017, 8:26 am

Hi All,

Has anyone brought ammunition back into Australia? Is this a difficult process?

I will be travelling overseas in a couple of weeks and have a colleague which was going to give me 200 rounds of his special loads ;)

I'm considering if its worth bringing back or not bothering.

Thanks
- .303 British
- 12G
Yipikaye
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Re: Bringing Ammunition into Australia

Post by nightforcenxs » 16 Nov 2017, 8:43 am

wouldnt even waste your time you have to be a importer and then have a whole heap of other licences and permission for what its worth dont bother
nightforcenxs
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Yipikaye » 16 Nov 2017, 8:48 am

figured as much. thanks :) I thought there could also be an issue with the QTY. Also it seems its a PITA to transfer it through Dubai
- .303 British
- 12G
Yipikaye
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Tripod » 16 Nov 2017, 9:13 am

Which country are you going to? You are allowed to carry a certain amount of ammo with the right paperwork but I am not sure how much, People travelling overseas to hunt do it all the time.
Tripod
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Post by No1Mk3 » 16 Nov 2017, 10:01 am

You may only carry 5Kg of ammunition, most airlines will not carry it at all, so you must check to see if the airline your using permits it. Qantas does, so does Air New Zealand. It must be in it's original packaging, and then wrapped up in your checked luggage. You will need Import Permits for Oz (B709A), as well as export permits from most countries, who will also want a copy of your B709A before you leave. Anything over 5Kg won't fly, you have to ship by sea, only 2 ships per year bring ammo, and they unload only in Qld, so you would need to organize DG transport to NSW. They would want to be gold plated rounds, Cheers.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Yipikaye » 16 Nov 2017, 10:04 am

Awesome, thanks for all the info. Its certainly way too hard just to test some hand loads at my local range.
- .303 British
- 12G
Yipikaye
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 16 Nov 2017, 4:09 pm

Yipikaye wrote:Awesome, thanks for all the info. Its certainly way too hard just to test some hand loads at my local range.

If they're handloads they should shoot exactly the same in your firearm whether you load them or he does. Just make some using his recipe and try them.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Chronos » 16 Nov 2017, 9:19 pm

“Special loads” probably means they shoot great n his gun, not necessarily yours....u less “special” means something restricted or even illegal in which case quit now

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by Yipikaye » 16 Nov 2017, 9:26 pm

We both have Tikka 308 and he is meticulous so I'm sure they are great. I'll be sure to go to the range while I'm there instead :)
- .303 British
- 12G
Yipikaye
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Return to New South Wales gun laws