Should pepper spray be legal?

Questions about Victorian gun and ammunition laws. Victorian Firearms Act 1996.

Re: Should pepper spray be legal?

Post by Muddy1967 » 31 Dec 2013, 2:42 pm

Chronos wrote:Tomorrow is loading day, .243, 7-08 and .308...plus I have a .204 case stuck in a f/l sizing die :fp:

Chronos

It must be a .204 thing, my brother in law had the same problem. He also broke a depriving pin.
Just like Woodworking, Aim twice, Shoot once.

.222 Remington 700™ BDL™ HB - Center Point 4-16x40
Marlin XT-22lrsr - Leupold VariX-3 6.5-20x50
Muddy1967
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Warrigul » 31 Dec 2013, 3:23 pm

Chronos wrote:
perhaps my comment about her responsibility are misunderstood. my point is that it's neither your's nor my job to decide for a woman how she should act when under threat, whether it be from an abusive partner or ex or a stranger on the street. the current laws do not allow any item to be carried as a defensive weapon. not a knife, a gun, a stick, a spanner or a nail file. However i don't believe there is a court in the country who would uphold a charge against a woman who uses any of these items in self defense against an attacker (perhaps with the exception of a gun, more political than judicial IMHO)

I will not enter into a discussion about your personal family situation, it's not my place but i would say anyone should make good choices about their own situation and capabilities. I spent 2 years living in a city which has been listed in the most dangerous cities in the world. I made myself responsible for my own safety, now i'm a pretty big guy however during my time there i had absolutely zero intention of putting myself in any situation where my life was at risk. If i was to be confronted by a knife or gun wielding crook you can be sure i would have politely handed him my wallet, phone, car keys and shoes because i consider i had a lot more to loose than him by becoming involved in a scuffle. When i was at home i locked my doors and windows, when i drove i locked my doors and i didn't walk the streets at night. there were guys there who carried guns, and i would say some of them needed them, clubbing late at night, taking home local women and sleeping with their married staff. and if those womens husbands and brothers had come after them i would say that those guys were responsible for what happened to them.

Chronos

this is my last post on this topic, i see no point trying to justify my opinion, an opinion formed by my own personal experience.

I actually see no relevence whatsoever between your personal overseas experience and life here in Australia, which is what the debate is about: Whether pepper spray should be made legal here or not.

The fact that you would immediately hand over your posessions is probably a very sensible solution, but ultimately the crooks have achieved their end- they have intimidated you. If they stop at simply depriving you of your posessions you have gotten off lightly, would you be willing to go a bit further and let yourself be gangbanged or perhaps your partner, where do you draw the line? I was advised for one six month overseas swing to carry(even under guard) simply because if you did get in that situation they often killed you regardless. There is a reason they pay big money for some jobs.

Unfortunately a rapist isn't simply out to steal posessions and go, they will not stop until the act is complete unless it is made too difficult.

I think the majority of posters have agreed that improper use should remain an offence but posession allowed. Simply being able to at least display a deterrant when cornered and no place to run may make a difference in a few cases or at least provide a few seconds to start running..

It is a very righteous person who is willing to deny others the right to defence, far better to prosecute a random spraying misuse than another inquest.

As you have said it was your last post on the subject, so will this be mine.
Warrigul
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by Blackened » 31 Dec 2013, 4:12 pm

Chronos wrote:I have a .204 case stuck in a f/l sizing die :fp:

How stuck is stuck?

A standard press is pretty strong, a liberal application of elbow grease is usually good to get a stuck case out if it's just due to a lack of case lube... ?
Blackened

New South Wales

Previous

Return to Victorian gun laws