Shooting Clays in NSW on a rural property

Questions about New South Wales gun and ammunition laws. NSW Firearms Act 1996.

Shooting Clays in NSW on a rural property

Post by Scattergun » 21 Nov 2017, 8:03 pm

Hello all

I am not familiar with NSW Firearms laws and are looking for some advice for a friend.

My friend has a large property in western NSW. Can he legally just set a portable clay target trap up and shoot some clays on his own property. He has no close neighbours and the boundary is kilometres away.

Thanks in advance

Scattergun
Scattergun
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Re: Shooting Clays in NSW on a rural property

Post by pomemax » 21 Nov 2017, 11:55 pm

Ring firearms registry and ask they will give the correct interpretation of the law 1300 362 562
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 22 Nov 2017, 12:15 pm

pomemax wrote:Ring firearms registry and ask they will give the correct interpretation of the law 1300 362 562

But get their answer in writing, their interpretation might not be the same as the officers that come out to check all the noise.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Archie » 22 Nov 2017, 4:10 pm

As everyone says, you'd need to ask the registry, because there's a little bit of an apparent contradiction in the act (and I am not a lawyer and this not legal advice. This is just reading the acts and regulations in detail)

On the one hand, you can't have a shooting range on your property. Whats the definition of a shooting range? Bloody good question and the act doesn't define it, but one example I was given is you aren't really supposed to have permanent targets up. And remember, you aren't allowed to target shoot on your property either. You can sight in, you can tune loads, you can practice and familiarize yourself with your firearm but you can't target shoot (and if you can explain the practical difference between practicing and target shooting I'd love to hear it...). So that's one issue.

On the other hand...

Clause 33:
Licences and permits extend to authorise sighting in, patterning and related activities
(1) The authority conferred by a licence or permit that authorises the use of a firearm by a person extends to include the use of a firearm by the person for the purposes of any of the following activities:
(a) sighting in the firearm (including sight alignment and including patterning of a shotgun),
(b) tuning of the firearm (including the adjusting or aligning of a shotgun),
(c) familiarisation with or testing of ammunition,
(d) practising on stationary targets (or moving targets in the case of a shotgun) but only for the purposes of an activity referred to in paragraphs (a)–(c).
(2) This clause authorises the use of a firearm on any land on which use of the firearm is not otherwise unlawful and is not limited to use at an approved shooting range.

Emphasis mine.

So the implication would be, sure, shoot clays, but only if you are sighting, tuning, familiarising or testing ammunition. Not just because you want to. And I would guess that after 500+ clays it'll be hard to make the argument that you're just checking your pattern, but who knows?

Anyway, I would do as everyone else suggests and get the answer from the registry in writing. But, if the answer comes back no, I would ask them to clarify it with respect to the above clause (which is from the Firearms Regulation 2017).
Archie
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Rikta » 22 Nov 2017, 6:46 pm

I would rename the thread to "familiarizing with Clays in NSW on a rural property" then sorted if above has relevance
Rem .270
Howa .223
Ruger 22lr
Lanber 12g
Rossi 410g
Rikta
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by on_one_wheel » 24 Nov 2017, 1:14 pm

Familiarization
Practice
Re-familiarization
Refresher course
It's a bit sad that we need ti make excuses to keep our skills sharp.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Norton » 28 Nov 2017, 8:04 am

on_one_wheel wrote:It's a bit sad that we need ti make excuses to keep our skills sharp.

Has to tick the right politically correct terminology box.

Facts don't matter, only appearances :roll:
CZ 550 American Safari Magnum in .416 Rigby

Other puny calibre rifles... What man would want you now?
Norton
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Archie » 28 Nov 2017, 12:07 pm

Its a bit pathetic. I get why they don't want people setting up private ranges wherever, but if you're only firing birdshot I would have thought anything beyond 400-500m to the property boundary would give you an enormous margin of safety. Noise might drive the neighbours up the wall at that distance but thats' a reason to lodge a noise complaint, not just ban it all together.
Archie
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by pomemax » 28 Nov 2017, 12:19 pm

Noise is a factor and water courses if you using lead / steel shot.
Epa would get involved if you have neighbors that give em a call that,s all it would take there was a shot gun range in Sydney that had dramas a few years ago shooting lead shot backdrop was a tip old section of it now only steel shot .
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Return to New South Wales gun laws