Shooting on crown land WA

Questions about Western Australian gun and ammunition laws. W.A. Firearms Act 1973.

Shooting on crown land WA

Post by 100yardman » 04 Dec 2017, 4:13 pm

Hi guys,

Just wondering what the go is for shooting on crown land is in WA?

I drive through crown land to get home and see heaps of foxes and
Last edited by 100yardman on 04 Dec 2017, 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
100yardman
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Re: Shooting on crown land WA

Post by knowsnothin » 04 Dec 2017, 5:27 pm

All ferals on crown land are protected in WA.

Taking proactive measures to protect livestock and native animals is a quick way to lose your guns.

In WA.
knowsnothin
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Bruiser64 » 05 Dec 2017, 10:06 pm

You are only allowed to shoot on private property with the permission of the owner or manager (as applicable).
Bruiser64
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by kb1 » 08 Dec 2017, 9:39 am

i am of indigenous decent and i am to believe if youtr indigenous you have the right to shoot on crown land but it has to be 3 kms form nearest public access area, etc lookout , hiking track etc.
kb1
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by bladeracer » 08 Dec 2017, 9:41 am

kb1 wrote:i am of indigenous decent and i am to believe if youtr indigenous you have the right to shoot on crown land but it has to be 3 kms form nearest public access area, etc lookout , hiking track etc.

I worked with aboriginal people on communities in the Kimberely. They do have access rights and can hunt protected species, but only with traditional hunting weapons, certainly not rifles.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by kb1 » 08 Dec 2017, 9:48 am

hi blade i maybe wrong and ive not yet tried it on crown land but i read it on aboriginal legal website somewhere .
ill do some more home work .
kb1
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by kb1 » 08 Dec 2017, 9:51 am

Can Aboriginal people go hunting?
Yes. However, DEC-managed lands and waters are public spaces and are shared with other people. Safety is very important and must be
considered when using weapons and tools to hunt, so other people are not harmed.
Aboriginal people will need a firearms licence issued by the WA Police if hunting with a firearm. Aboriginal people are also not permitted
to hunt animals within one kilometre of public facilities, recreational areas, car parks, camping areas or roads. Any owner of a firearm or
weapon must adhere to the provisions of the Firearms Act 1973 and the Weapons Act 1999.
Do Aboriginal people need to abide by the laws and regulations set out by the Department of Fisheries in regard to
kb1
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by bladeracer » 08 Dec 2017, 10:42 am

Sorry, I answered in a hurry and should have been clearer.
If you have a hunting firearms licence (not a competition licence) then you can hunt with a firearm.
Except for one, all of the aboriginal people I knew up there with firearms did not have licences. Most of the white people I met had competition licences, not hunting licences - quite a lot were unlicenced.
Aboriginal people have right of access to all private property up there and can shoot livestock for food. But they generally just fill a cow with as much .22LR as they have then hope it'll die in a day or two. Landowners got sick of that pretty quickly and prefer locals to simply go to the station and ask for meat if they need some.
I don't believe aboriginal people can hunt protected species with firearms. If they want their bush tucker (echidna, bush turkey, goanna, kangaroo, etc) they have to take it traditionally.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Daddybang » 08 Dec 2017, 5:38 pm

bladeracer wrote:
kb1 wrote:i am of indigenous decent and i am to believe if youtr indigenous you have the right to shoot on crown land but it has to be 3 kms form nearest public access area, etc lookout , hiking track etc.

I worked with aboriginal people on communities in the Kimberely. They do have access rights and can hunt protected species, but only with traditional hunting weapons, certainly not rifles.

Bit different to qld!! They hunt dugon and turtles with .308s over here. Don't actually no uf thats legal or not? :unknown: :drinks:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 08 Dec 2017, 5:52 pm

Daddybang wrote:Bit different to qld!! They hunt dugon and turtles with .308s over here. Don't actually no uf thats legal or not? :unknown: :drinks:

Same here, they shoot everything that moves, there aren't any birds or lizards anywhere near the communities.
But it's not legal.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by kb1 » 09 Dec 2017, 7:23 am

All good fellas i was half way out the door myself as was writing this.
As i said ive never hunted on crown land my self. 90% of my shooting is at the gun club .
I dont agree with shooting anything with underpowered firearm or taking anything out with out fair reason. Cheers for all your feed back
kb1
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by bladeracer » 09 Dec 2017, 10:15 am

Daddybang wrote:Bit different to qld!! They hunt dugong and turtles with .308s over here. Don't actually no if that's legal or not? :unknown: :drinks:

A previous girlfriend was aboriginal from Kalumburu, I met her while I was working up North (she was working at Turkey Creek at the time). At the community they lived on sea turtle and dugong (they take them the traditional way). When I brought her back to Perth with me her family used to send down huge lumps of disgusting meat that she used to boil up - I never joined her in those. I have eaten a lot of their bush tucker when I was up there, but only to taste, none of it enthralled me. We would catch huge catfish in the Ord River Basin to treat the elders in the Old People's Home at Turkey Creek. Once it was barely cooked she'd smack it on the head and suck the brain out, then pop out the eyeballs and cheeks - disgusting to watch :-)

I absolutely loved the couple years I spent living on those communities, the people are amazing.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Daddybang » 09 Dec 2017, 10:33 am

bladeracer wrote:
Daddybang wrote:Bit different to qld!! They hunt dugong and turtles with .308s over here. Don't actually no if that's legal or not? :unknown: :drinks:

A previous girlfriend was aboriginal from Kalumburu, I met her while I was working up North (she was working at Turkey Creek at the time). At the community they lived on sea turtle and dugong (they take them the traditional way). When I brought her back to Perth with me her family used to send down huge lumps of disgusting meat that she used to boil up - I never joined her in those. I have eaten a lot of their bush tucker when I was up there, but only to taste, none of it enthralled me. We would catch huge catfish in the Ord River Basin to treat the elders in the Old People's Home at Turkey Creek. Once it was barely cooked she'd smack it on the head and suck the brain out, then pop out the eyeballs and cheeks - disgusting to watch :-)

I absolutely loved the couple years I spent living on those communities, the people are amazing.

Yeah blade I've been fortunate enough to spend a bit of time in some of the communities here and spent time with a couple of elders . Amazing experience and learnt a lot. Although not all the communities are pleasant place's :lol: :drinks:
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 09 Dec 2017, 10:56 am

kb1 wrote:I dont agree with shooting anything with underpowered firearm or taking anything out with out fair reason.

I gave 50rds of .22LR to a local as they wanted to get a killer and offered to bring me back some fresh beef.
Thirty minutes later he was back wanting me to come and shoot it with my "little gun" (meaning my 9mm pistol). I told him I couldn't do that as it was illegal so he would just have to get closer with the .22. Then he said they'd already shot it fifty times so he'd need more ammo!
I gave him another box and he came back later that day with a huge lump of bloody beef which we dined on for many days :-)
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 09 Dec 2017, 10:59 am

Daddybang wrote:Although not all the communities are pleasant place's :lol: :drinks:

Balgo Hills was a scary place that I never went to.
When there's no alcohol around the communities are amazing, but once somebody brings a car load of grog in and sells it for crazy prices everything turns to s**t for a few days.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Daddybang » 09 Dec 2017, 11:16 am

The alcohol management plan up here just opened up the door for sly groggers apparently they get around 300 for a bottle of rum!!!! :crazy:
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Rikta » 12 Dec 2017, 9:46 am

bladeracer wrote:

bugger that, I'll stick to going to the Philippines with pork adobo and lechon, turons and pancit noodles.
Rem .270
Howa .223
Ruger 22lr
Lanber 12g
Rossi 410g
Rikta
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Return to Western Australia gun laws