Wooden box for transporting pistol in QLD

Questions about Queensland gun and ammunition laws. QLD Weapons Act 1990.

Wooden box for transporting pistol in QLD

Post by fenderstrat » 18 Dec 2017, 11:24 am

Hi guys, I recently got my very first pistol (Ruger Mk IV 22/45) and because I have a bit of woodworking fetish, I was thinking of building a lockable wooden box to take it to the range with me. The question is: is it ok/legal to transport a pistol in a padlocked wooden box?

Also question #2: can I do the same with ammo? (transport ammo in a separate padlocked wooden box? Normally I transport ammo in a metal box but I'm curious to see if I could make an ammo box as a Christmas gift for someone.

Thanks guys
fenderstrat
Private
Private

Queensland

Re: Wooden box for transporting pistol in QLD

Post by dpskipper » 18 Dec 2017, 12:31 pm

Yeah, i think so. As long as its a seperate locked container it should do. People use pastic toolboxes from bunnings with a padlock, so your lovely wooden box should be no different.
Wedgetail WT15
Riverman OAF
Desert Tech SRS
Adler 7 shot
dpskipper
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Daddybang » 18 Dec 2017, 12:34 pm

I can't see anything in qld regs/legislation that differs between handgun or rifles for TRANSPORT. So a lockable wooden case that is kept in a locked area of ya car(different for the tray of a ute) shouldn't be a problem however to be 100percent sure ya should contact wlb and get them to reply in writing. :thumbsup: :drinks:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Hoot » 18 Dec 2017, 8:24 pm

Daddybang wrote:I can't see anything in qld regs/legislation that differs between handgun or rifles for TRANSPORT. So a lockable wooden case that is kept in a locked area of ya car(different for the tray of a ute) shouldn't be a problem however to be 100percent sure ya should contact wlb and get them to reply in writing. :thumbsup: :drinks:

This x 2 and keep a copy with you whenever you're transporting it in the manner described/approved by WLB.. should save you any hassle if you're ever questioned by an authority that's not 100% up to speed on the transport laws :thumbsup:
Hoot
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Cryptic » 18 Dec 2017, 9:26 pm

People carry them in locked soft bags. I carry mine in soft bag with padlock and trigger lock fitted out of sight in my ute.
Cryptic
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 19 Dec 2017, 6:43 am

did my firearms coarse few months ago at belmont in queensland and a locked ply/timber box that's bolted down is a approved storage safe. can't see why it's different for transporting. so long as it's solid and lockable should be good but i would check. cops would probably be happier to see it in a metal box or hardcase i would say
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by VICHunter » 27 Dec 2017, 3:25 pm

bigrich wrote:cops would probably be happier to see it in a metal box or hardcase i would say

Yep. Make it up to the task so you don't get grief over it.

Legalities aside that's always best practice for yourself.
VICHunter
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Return to Queensland gun laws