Transporting “banned” rifle from QLD to NSW

Questions about New South Wales gun and ammunition laws. NSW Firearms Act 1996.

Transporting “banned” rifle from QLD to NSW

Post by GhostRider » 24 Dec 2017, 4:45 pm

G’day Guys and Galls,
Just wanted to ask a the question as one of my old army mates asked me to go for a hunt. I own a Ruger Precision Rifle, which I have known to be owned is NSW because of the folding stock. Would I be able to transport it to NSW under my license or would it be better to take something else instead?
Cheers,
GhostRider
GhostRider
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Re: Transporting “banned” rifle from QLD to NSW

Post by Tripod » 25 Dec 2017, 12:14 pm

Technically the moment you cross the border you are in possession of a prohibited weapon. I am not one for strictly following rules but that one is a no brainer.
Tripod
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Post by sungazer » 25 Dec 2017, 12:38 pm

Yep I asked a firearms educated police officer and he confirmed the same. The rifle must comply with all the rules of the state it is in. Or if you get caught you are in a world of s**t.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by bladeracer » 25 Dec 2017, 12:53 pm

GhostRider wrote:G’day Guys and Galls,
Just wanted to ask a the question as one of my old army mates asked me to go for a hunt. I own a Ruger Precision Rifle, which I have known to be owned is NSW because of the folding stock. Would I be able to transport it to NSW under my license or would it be better to take something else instead?
Cheers,
GhostRider

As already stated, a firearm must be legal in the state you're travelling through.My MDT chassis are not legal in NSW due to the folding and sliding stocks and the fact that the stocks are "removable" rather than "permanently attached".

Do not take any firearms through the ACT. Firearms not licenced in the ACT are illegal unless brought in by a dealer or for use in a _specific_ competition. WA offers temporary permits for interstate firearms (that are legal in WA) but I'm not aware of the ACT offering similar.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Hangfire » 25 Dec 2017, 5:15 pm

Majura range in ACT has ssaa shoot often doesnt it? Can NSW members not attend reading the above comments?
Hangfire
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 25 Dec 2017, 5:36 pm

Hangfire wrote:Majura range in ACT has ssaa shoot often doesnt it? Can NSW members not attend reading the above comments?

Sure, if they're attending a competition, and their firearms are ACT-legal.
Majura should have a better idea of the law than I do, I'm only going on what Firearms Registry told me.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Apollo » 25 Dec 2017, 8:21 pm

Hangfire wrote:Majura range in ACT has ssaa shoot often doesnt it? Can NSW members not attend reading the above comments?

NSW, QLD, VIC, SA, WA etc shooters attend Majura Range more than often.

Don't know why anyone would think you can't.

Pretty sure last time I was there their were a couple of ACT Police and a person from their Firearms Registry attending. The majority of shooters were from Interstate and their Firearms are not licenced in the ACT, why would they need to be.

Might be a little confusion of facts here I think.

On the topic, if your Firearm is banned in the state you are going to travel to or even through then I believe you are in trouble and risk everything.
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Gamerancher » 26 Dec 2017, 6:38 am

All states, with the exception of W.A, recognise out of state licenced shooters and firearms provided they comply with local laws. When in A.C.T firearms must be secured in a case and secured to the vehicle when not in use or being transported.
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 26 Dec 2017, 2:34 pm

Gamerancher wrote:All states, with the exception of W.A, recognise out of state licenced shooters and firearms provided they comply with local laws. When in A.C.T firearms must be secured in a case and secured to the vehicle when not in use or being transported.

When I rang ACT Firearms Registry that's what they told me.
As there is no hunting in ACT the only reason I can bring my firearms is for competition.
I was asking specifically about coming up to do non-competition shooting with my brother at Majura and they said that was not an acceptable reason to bring my own firearms.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Gamerancher » 26 Dec 2017, 7:05 pm

I'd say you've been mis-informed. You are attending a range for "competition" shooting. You are covered. Don't ask, don't tell applies. You have to remember that registries and police are staffed by people who are sh!t scared of firearms, at least half of the SSAA members at Majura are not from the A.C.T.
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by VICHunter » 27 Dec 2017, 3:29 pm

Gamerancher wrote:I'd say you've been mis-informed. You are attending a range for "competition" shooting. You are covered. Don't ask, don't tell applies. You have to remember that registries and police are staffed by people who are sh!t scared of firearms, at least half of the SSAA members at Majura are not from the A.C.T.

Got some legislation to paste and back that up?

"I didn't ask, they didn't tell" isn't much of a legal defence if the s**t hits the fan.

What you consider competition target shooting doesn't mean squat if it doesn't match their definition under the law.
VICHunter
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 27 Dec 2017, 5:10 pm

VICHunter wrote:Got some legislation to paste and back that up?

"I didn't ask, they didn't tell" isn't much of a legal defence if the s**t hits the fan.

What you consider competition target shooting doesn't mean squat if it doesn't match their definition under the law.

That's exactly what they told me, unless I was entered in a specific competition don't bring my firearms into ACT.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by groundhog » 27 Dec 2017, 6:23 pm

To clear this up for the ACT. Gamerancher is right, he likes to hear that statement!, a significant number of the members and users of the SSAA Majura facility are from NSW and the ACT firearms act accounts for this;

Article 136
Temporary recognition of interstate licences—general
(1) This section applies to an individual interstate licensee if the individual—
(a) is a resident of a State or another Territory and comes to the ACT for—
(i) the purpose of taking part in an approved shooting or approved paintball competition; or
(ii) a purpose prescribed by regulation in relation to the possession or use of a firearm; and
(b) holds an interstate licence that corresponds to a category A licence, category B licence, category C licence, category H
licence or paintball marker licence.
(2) For the authorised period, the individual is authorised to possess, or use, for a purpose mentioned in subsection (1) (a), a firearm of a
kind to which the corresponding local licence applies.

Now whilst this refers to competitions it also refers to "a purpose prescribed by regulation in relation to the possession or use of a firearm;"
This is when article 53 comes in

Article 53

Authority conferred by licence—additional matters
(1) A licence that authorises the licensee to have possession of a firearm also authorises the licensee to have possession of the firearm
while—
(a) taking it to a licensed firearms dealer for the purpose of—
(i) selling it; or
(ii) having it altered (otherwise than to convert it into a prohibited firearm), maintained, tested or repaired and subsequently recovering it from the dealer; and
(b) taking it to a police officer for the purpose of having it inspected and subsequently recovering it from a police officer;
and
(c) taking it to a police officer for the purpose of surrendering it.

(2) A licence (other than a firearms dealer licence or paintball marker licence) that authorises the licensee to use a firearm also authorises the licensee, in accordance with this Act or another territory law, to acquire, possess or use the calibre of ammunition made for use in the firearm.

(3) A licence that authorises the licensee to have possession or use of a registered firearm also authorises the licensee to use the registered
firearm at an approved shooting range for 1 or more of the following purposes:
(a) to test the firearm;
(b) to adjust the sights on the firearm;
(c) to develop and refine self-loaded ammunition;
(d) to receive instruction and certification in the use of the firearm for an employment-related purpose.

Note
An example is part of the Act, is not exhaustive and may extend, but does not limit, the meaning of the provision in which it appears (see Legislation Act,s 126 and s 132).

(4) For subsection (3), a licensee need not be a member of the shooting club that operates the approved shooting range.
(5) Unless a regulation prescribes otherwise, a category C licence does not authorise the possession or use of a prohibited firearm for a shooting competition.

However with regards to the original point of this thread if the firearm is considered prohibited it is not allowed as shown below;

(6) A licence does not authorise the possession of—
(a) a prohibited firearm; or

(b) a firearm manufactured after the prescribed date; for the purposes of a firearms collection.

There are also sections that deal with attending a range in the ACT for the purpose of practicing for an approved match which is dealt with separately.

The only things to be mindful of when in the ACT with firearms is that it has been determined that holders of interstate licences will need to also have the registration papers of any firearms in their possession with them so as to be able to prove to a AFP officer, if requested, ownership of the firearms. Also ACT has somewhat stricter requirements with regards to security of firearms in vehicles as Gamerancher alluded to.

Hope this helps
groundhog
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 27 Dec 2017, 6:33 pm

groundhog wrote:To clear this up for the ACT.

I can't see anything allowing informal shooting there.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by groundhog » 27 Dec 2017, 7:19 pm

What exactly do you define as informal shooting?

I hate to break it to you but under the firearms acts of most of the states there is no such thing. You must attend a range for
"serious reasons" :sarcasm:

Most acts state that attendance on the range is to carry out an activity that is "approved by the Chief Commissioner" - these are the words from the Victorian act but others are similar, and one of the activity's that is approved is practice or sighting in.

The section from the ACT's act is below however it is even more specific;

(3) A licence that authorises the licensee to have possession or use of a registered firearm also authorises the licensee to use the registered
firearm at an approved shooting range for 1 or more of the following purposes:
(a) to test the firearm;
(b) to adjust the sights on the firearm;
(c) to develop and refine self-loaded ammunition;

It is this passage that allows any licensed firearms owner in the ACT or from interstate with a recognised license to use a range in the ACT. Alternatively you can be practicing for a competition and this is covered elsewhere in the act.
groundhog
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 27 Dec 2017, 8:05 pm

Simply shooting paper at the range with my brother for the hell of it.
Not testing a firearm, not adjusting sights, not developing loads and not practicing for a competition.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Daddybang » 27 Dec 2017, 8:17 pm

bladeracer wrote:Simply shooting paper at the range with my brother for the hell of it.
Not testing a firearm, not adjusting sights, not developing loads and not practicing for a competition.

Wouldn't this come under checking sights. I'm assuming ya use'em? :lol: :drinks:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Return to New South Wales gun laws