Still confused about ammo storage in Qld

Questions about Queensland gun and ammunition laws. QLD Weapons Act 1990.

Still confused about ammo storage in Qld

Post by TooOld » 29 Dec 2017, 8:44 pm

Hi there, and really sorry about asking something that has been asked before, but I still dont get what the rules say about ammo storage ?!?!?

From http://qmrc.org/department-of-natural-r ... tin-79.pdf

86 - Requirements for storing small arms ammunition
(1) A person storing small arms ammunition—
(a) must store the small arms ammunition in its original packaging or in packaging
or containers designed to protect the small arms ammunition individually and—
(i) in a secure container; or
(ii) on a shelf that is inaccessible to a person who is not authorised to
possess the small arms ammunition; and
(b) must store the small arms ammunition in a secured area; and
(c) unless the person is authorised to do so under the Weapons Act 1990, must not
store the small arms ammunition in a secured area in which a firearm is stored; and
(d) if the person stores more than 10000 safety cartridges in a secured area—must
display, in the required places for the secured area, a classification sign for the
cartridges stored in the secured area.
(2) In this section—safety cartridge has the meaning given under AS 2187, part 0.

Ok so I get that ammo must be kept in original box or if reloading in a box that keeps ammo rounds seperate. It then says IN A SECURE CONTAINER , so Im assuming a plastic ammo crate that is able to be padlocked would be classed as a SECURE CONTAINER is this correct ?

My main confusion is -

(b) must store the small arms ammunition in a secured area

it then goes on to say -

13. A secured area is a place namely a drawer, cabinet, cupboard, room or another enclosure
which is kept locked at all times when the place is not attended by a person.

So if I have my ammo in its original boxes, stored inside padlocked plastic ammo crates, where can I put these crates ??? Can I sit them on the top shelf of a walk in robe in my bedroom ? But my bedroom is not locked ? Does the statement "..... room or another enclosure which is kept locked at all times when the place is not attended by a person." Mean If my plastic ammo crates are stored on the top shelf of my walk in robe and if I lock my doors to my house when I am out then it is OK ?? As my bedroom door does not have a lock . What if my wife is home and I am out would it still be ok to keep the ammo crates in my walk in robe ?

I am just really confused about the whole secured area part of this as my walk in robe has no door or lock, my bedroom door has no lock. What is an enclosure ? All seems a bit vague. .

Again sorry for rehashing this but as Im new to this sport I want to get it right.
TooOld
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Re: Still confused about ammo storage in Qld

Post by Gwion » 30 Dec 2017, 7:37 am

I think everyone is confused about everything in Queensland....
:lol:

Sorry. Just couldn't resist.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by yoshie » 30 Dec 2017, 8:14 am

I store mine in their boxes or MTM style boxes (reloads), in a locked metal cupboard under the house. Under the house has the laundry, car space, my work bench and all our junk on shelves, its locked when we're not down thete or not home (like a garden shed)
yoshie
Sergeant
Sergeant

Australian Capital Territory

Post by TheDude » 30 Dec 2017, 8:27 am

the Rules for transporting ammo in Queensland are also vague/non existent.

Many use a locked mtm plastic box, tool box or lock it in the glove box but I’ve not found any rules to say what is actually required.

Say is a lockable compartment of a backpack or range bag acceptable when going to the range. Likewise is just locking it in the boot in a shopping bag ok when returning from a gun shop visit.
TheDude
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Daddybang » 30 Dec 2017, 8:33 am

As long as its not in the safe with ya rifles(separate area of safe is fine as long as it's keyed different) and in an area that can be locked. This just means ya can't have it sitting in a box on the back veranda. Anywhere in the house is fine as ya can lock the doors to the house/shed. Hope this makes it a bit clearer :thumbsup: :lol:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Daddybang » 30 Dec 2017, 8:41 am

TheDude wrote:the Rules for transporting ammo in Queensland are also vague/non existent.

Many use a locked mtm plastic box, tool box or lock it in the glove box but I’ve not found any rules to say what is actually required.

Say is a lockable compartment of a backpack or range bag acceptable when going to the range. Likewise is just locking it in the boot in a shopping bag ok when returning from a gun shop visit.

Yes to both. The car is considered a locked container. You can't have individual rounds rolling around on the floor. So as long as it's in the original packaging in the shopping bag it's fine. :thumbsup: :drinks:
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Member-Deleted » 30 Dec 2017, 9:28 am

I don't have original boxes for ammo as all mine are mostly reloads but I have it in reload boxes you can buy off
the net or local GS :thumbsup:
It wouldn't matter what type as long as the ammo was incased
I have an upright tool box of steel design about 1.5m high and lockable for storage of ammo and other tools for reloading :thumbsup:
A small lockable heavy duty plastic carry tool box that holds my rifle bolt and ammo when going shooting :thumbsup:
All this can be placed anywhere throughout the house because while the house is open the ammo is still
locked away in the tool box ( you can get these tool boxes in many colours) :thumbsup:
All mine has been ok'd by the right people and passes the requirement :thumbsup:
A thing to note is I was told ammo boxes when shooting were to be locked when not in use
Although you would have to be unlucky to be caught but anything is possible
Member-Deleted

Post by Daddybang » 30 Dec 2017, 9:42 am

grandadbushy wrote:I don't have original boxes for ammo as all mine are mostly reloads but I have it in reload boxes you can buy off
the net or local GS :thumbsup:
It wouldn't matter what type as long as the ammo was incased
I have an upright tool box of steel design about 1.5m high and lockable for storage of ammo and other tools for reloading :thumbsup:
A small lockable heavy duty plastic carry tool box that holds my rifle bolt and ammo when going shooting :thumbsup:
All this can be placed anywhere throughout the house because while the house is open the ammo is still
locked away in the tool box ( you can get these tool boxes in many colours) :thumbsup:
All mine has been ok'd by the right people and passes the requirement :thumbsup:
A thing to note is I was told ammo boxes when shooting were to be locked when not in use
Although you would have to be unlucky to be caught but anything is possible

Hey granddad just be careful keeping ya bolt in the same case as ammo. The bolt hy itself is considered a firearm for transport and storage purposes. If ya get an a@#hole cop they could ping ya for it. ! :thumbsup: :drinks:
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by TooOld » 30 Dec 2017, 10:11 am

Thanks for the replies everyone.

Daddybang wrote:As long as its not in the safe with ya rifles(separate area of safe is fine as long as it's keyed different) and in an area that can be locked. This just means ya can't have it sitting in a box on the back veranda. Anywhere in the house is fine as ya can lock the doors to the house/shed. Hope this makes it a bit clearer :thumbsup: :lol:

and in an area that can be locked.

Do you mean if I store the ammo in the ammo section of the gun safe and that ammo section being locked separately to the guns ? My gun safe has a seperate ammo section keyed differently but that section is only small and wont hold much.

My Unit I rent has no room that can be locked :? only the front and back doors that can be locked, the garage is attached to the unit and the door to that is a sliding door that cannot be locked only the actual garage tilt a door can be locked.

Anywhere in the house is fine as ya can lock the doors to the house/shed.

Thats why I had the impression that the ammo boxes locked in ammo crates would be classed as secure. The confusing part is where the crates can be stored in the unit , didnt know if I had to lock the ammo in my padlocked crates then lock the crates in another container, :crazy: would look like a russian nesting doll :crazy:
TooOld
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Daddybang » 30 Dec 2017, 10:22 am

TooOld wrote:Thanks for the replies everyone.

Daddybang wrote:As long as its not in the safe with ya rifles(separate area of safe is fine as long as it's keyed different) and in an area that can be locked. This just means ya can't have it sitting in a box on the back veranda. Anywhere in the house is fine as ya can lock the doors to the house/shed. Hope this makes it a bit clearer :thumbsup: :lol:

and in an area that can be locked.

Do you mean if I store the ammo in the ammo section of the gun safe and that ammo section being locked separately to the guns ? My gun safe has a seperate ammo section keyed differently but that section is only small and wont hold much.

My Unit I rent has no room that can be locked :? only the front and back doors that can be locked, the garage is attached to the unit and the door to that is a sliding door that cannot be locked only the actual garage tilt a door can be locked.

Anywhere in the house is fine as ya can lock the doors to the house/shed.

Thats why I had the impression that the ammo boxes locked in ammo crates would be classed as secure. The confusing part is where the crates can be stored in the unit , didnt know if I had to lock the ammo in my padlocked crates then lock the crates in another container, :crazy: would look like a russian nesting doll :crazy:

Ya unit is a lockable area(front and rear doors) ya don't have to place lockef crates in another locked box. The area on top of ya safe is compliant. :drinks:
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Member-Deleted » 30 Dec 2017, 1:17 pm

Yeah right o then Daddybang I have two lockable smaller boxes so i'll use one of them for the bolt and carry it elsewhere
from now on :thumbsup:
Sounds like I got a bum steer from my local man in blue can't be too careful mate thanks :thumbsup:
If the laws keep getting tighter we may have to look at special holding rooms like gun shops, but I hope not
Its a pain in the arse going from one property to another when you only have 300yds at times to the next property and its drive way
Some times I do 1 to 6 properties a day
Anyway laws the law not to be broken :?

Cheers
Member-Deleted

Post by Oldbloke » 30 Dec 2017, 8:58 pm

AMAZING.jpg
AMAZING.jpg (6.54 KiB) Viewed 15714 times

AMAZING
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 30 Dec 2017, 9:01 pm

I Know nothinh.jpeg
I Know nothinh.jpeg (7.84 KiB) Viewed 15714 times

FAAARK IM CONFUSED
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by TooOld » 31 Dec 2017, 7:19 pm

Cheers for the replies, much appreciated
TooOld
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 02 Jan 2018, 8:51 pm

geez old bloke, i commented on ya profile photo a while ago and you said that's your real photo. does that mean your mates with sargent shultz and hawaiian detective harry who ? next you'll be telling me your uncle is seigfied of KAOS ! :lol: :drinks: :crazy: :lol: :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Nails » 17 Dec 2020, 6:51 pm

Old thread and yeah, still confusing...
These days some factory ammo is sold loose in a cardboard box or plastic bag, not separated. For example a 100 pack of Sako gamehead - all loose in small lightweight cardboard box. Also a 480 pack of Aussie Outback - 4 plastic bags with 120 rounds in each and placed inside an ex army ammo can. There’s probably others too. This is original packaging but doubtful the law would consider this ok.
Nails
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by JimTom » 17 Dec 2020, 8:08 pm

Yeah mate I use Eley standard in my .22LR and it comes loose in a box, which, as you have eluded too, is in contravention to the Qld laws. I have 5 old CCI mini mag boxes which I transfer them into, just to be on the safe side.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by rc42 » 17 Dec 2020, 9:20 pm

Small Arms Ammunition storage in QLD is covered under the explosives regs from the Mines Dept and not firearms legislation

https://www.qld.gov.au/emergency/safety ... ammunition

Basically, you either have to store ammunition in it's original packing (even if that's a flimsy cardboard box) or you can repackage it to store for your own use (for any reason) and use packaging 'similar to' the original. So using those clip top plastic tubs or similar to store bulk ammo is perfectly OK, as is leaving ammo in the original bulk box like Eley.

The ammo does still need be stored in a location which is not accessible to unlicensed persons, or in a locked container if the location might otherwise be accessible to unlicensed persons (so basically anywhere in your home has to use a locked container)
rc42
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by JimTom » 17 Dec 2020, 9:49 pm

I stand corrected. Always good to review the regs and get back up to speed. My previous understanding was a bit misguided.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Return to Queensland gun laws