Bolts With Ammo??

Questions about Victorian gun and ammunition laws. Victorian Firearms Act 1996.

Bolts With Ammo??

Post by Bushie » 02 Jan 2018, 3:24 pm

Anyone know if this is a legal way to store ammo and bolts??

Also the law says "lockable receptacle" for ammo can't find anywhere that says can't be in a movable ammo box is that okay?

Don't wanna lose my license over something silly
Attachments
20180102_161854.jpg
20180102_161854.jpg (1.26 MiB) Viewed 6640 times
12G > Anything else
Bushie
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Re: Bolts With Ammo??

Post by AusTac » 02 Jan 2018, 3:26 pm

I'm in Vic also, i store my bolts in the guns with ammo up top, been through two inspections so far, its all legal, vicpol have an internal policy allowing ammo up top
Certified part time hillbilly
AusTac
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by Bushie » 02 Jan 2018, 3:51 pm

I'd rather store my guns with the bolts separate just an added level of security but I know you're not allowed to store GUNS AND AMMO directly next to each other but would a bolt alone be classified as a gun
12G > Anything else
Bushie
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by hazza3006 » 02 Jan 2018, 3:57 pm

like AusTac, I've been inspected twice too, both times with bolts in rifles, never had an issue. Unfortunately though, it's a case of VicPol interpretation and discretion case by case, when it comes to storage laws, especially during transport where there are quite a few documented cases of differing VicPol application of transport laws...Lack luster and sometimes ambiguous laws, plus anti gun govt means storage compliance will always be bit of a guessing game.
hazza3006
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Supaduke » 02 Jan 2018, 4:14 pm

Store your bolts in your rifle.

As far as 'added security' , do you really think if they are already in your safe, they can't get into the ammo box? Best way to lose or forget bolts imho.
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by Bushie » 02 Jan 2018, 4:18 pm

Well it is added security

If they grind into the walls of the safe they have to grind again, if they pry into the safe they have to pry into the ammo compartment

It's not a lot of extra added but it's still extra

I don't like having bolts in my guns cause they take up more room and scratch other guns
12G > Anything else
Bushie
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by AusTac » 02 Jan 2018, 4:39 pm

Bushie wrote:I don't like having bolts in my guns cause they take up more room and scratch other guns

Pain in the arse hey, everyone has their personal preference, worth a email to the LRD but i personally would store bolts and mags up top without any ammo, wouldn't surprise me if they consider a bolt a " firearm " :roll:
AusTac
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by bladeracer » 02 Jan 2018, 5:20 pm

AusTac wrote:
Bushie wrote:I don't like having bolts in my guns cause they take up more room and scratch other guns

Pain in the arse hey, everyone has their personal preference, worth a email to the LRD but i personally would store bolts and mags up top without any ammo, wouldn't surprise me if they consider a bolt a " firearm " :roll:

That would be my concern as well.
"Firearm means any device whether or not assembled or in parts..."
Keep the bolts in the rifles where they belong.
Attachments
Vic firearm definition 1.JPG
Vic firearm definition 1.JPG (89.54 KiB) Viewed 6578 times
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by No1Mk3 » 02 Jan 2018, 5:37 pm

I store my bolts in plastic boxes on the work bench, Not enough room in the safe to leave them in. Put them in a drawer, or the cupboard, no problem. As for the ammo storage, yes, a movable container such as an ammo box or even a tool box is legal so long as it is securely locked. Don't keep it in the safe with the firearms though. Cheers
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 02 Jan 2018, 5:38 pm

Supaduke wrote:Store your bolts in your rifle.

As far as 'added security' , do you really think if they are already in your safe, they can't get into the ammo box? Best way to lose or forget bolts imho.

++++++3
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Bushie » 02 Jan 2018, 7:29 pm

Pain in the arse hey, everyone has their personal preference, worth a email to the LRD but i personally would store bolts and mags up top 

Yeah Iill have to do that it's just annoying like I have multiple mags where am I supposed to put them? There's no room in my safe and I can't have them next to ammo?

"Firearm means any device whether or not assembled or in parts..."

God that's so annoying that cab littersly use this in any which way they want
12G > Anything else
Bushie
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by duncan61 » 02 Jan 2018, 11:09 pm

I keep all my bolts in a totally separate place for my own satisfaction
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by bladeracer » 03 Jan 2018, 8:36 am

I don't recommend keeping ammo in the bolt box anyway. It doesn't comply with the law and in Victoria is only allowed by a Police statement that it's okay, which could be changed at any time.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by sungazer » 03 Jan 2018, 8:53 am

BR do you mean the compartments that most safes have or a separate lockable box that ammo is stored in.
Personally although the safe compartment is way to small to store my ammo it is more secure than other places that are totally legal. For instance a small shoe box size tool box padlocked on the floor in another room. So for the casual hunter that doesn't have much ammo I think the Police have made the correct call. What I would like to get clarification on is it ok to have a loaded magazine in your ammo box?
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by bladeracer » 03 Jan 2018, 9:14 am

sungazer wrote:BR do you mean the compartments that most safes have or a separate lockable box that ammo is stored in.
Personally although the safe compartment is way to small to store my ammo it is more secure than other places that are totally legal. For instance a small shoe box size tool box padlocked on the floor in another room. So for the casual hunter that doesn't have much ammo I think the Police have made the correct call. What I would like to get clarification on is it ok to have a loaded magazine in your ammo box?

I mean the separate lockable box built into some safes for storing the bolts.
I agree with you, it can be more secure than a simple locked box, but that is not what the law allows.
I keep my mags in my rifles and spare mags empty in with the ammo. I'm not sure on the legality of that myself actually, but Police have no authority to inspect your ammunition storage anyway so it should never come up.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by marksman » 03 Jan 2018, 9:34 am

its against the law in vic to store ammo with bolts,
the bolts if removed must be locked up no different to the fiream,
if you have rifles of the same make/model removing the bolts can be dangerous as they will fit the other same make/model firearm
if you were to use the wrong bolt you can cause a catastrophic blow up as the bolt will not be headspaced to that firearm

a few years ago I had a bloke ask me at the range why his bolt would not close?
I asked him if he had another rifle the same but different cal, his answer was no but he had just left his mate in the high country deer hunting who did
his rifle was 300wm, his mates was 308, the 300wm case did not fit the bolt and he could not close it
if it had been a 30-06 trying to fit a 270 rifle it would not have been pretty
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by AusTac » 03 Jan 2018, 10:48 am

I would think having a loaded mag would classify as a loaded firearm? A loaded mag seperate from the firearm is still considered a loaded firearm from what i'm told?
AusTac
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by sungazer » 03 Jan 2018, 11:04 am

Hmm thats not good I may :allegedly: on occasion have a mag loaded in the ammo box. I see it as no more than somewhere else to hold bullets. for instance a 22 mag loaded with the shot shells for that time when you need to be quick. Getting parts from all over the house before the snake moves on then loading a mag. :crazy:

A firearm would be no good in the use of home invasion. I have the bolts out mags stored separate and ammo in another room also locked. But There are so many household items that you could use to defend yourself against an attacker you just have to make yourself aware of what the could be and how to use them. sorry crossed threads.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by AusTac » 03 Jan 2018, 11:12 am

In your living situation i could see that totally being needed, might be best to *do something else* with it if you get my drift lol

All my guns are to damn long for house stuff anyway not that'd i'd ever dare to use a firearm for self defence anyway :roll: run hide tell was the catch phrase if i remember correctly which was advertised by the Victorian Government
AusTac
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by Archie » 03 Jan 2018, 1:38 pm

AusTac wrote:I would think having a loaded mag would classify as a loaded firearm? A loaded mag seperate from the firearm is still considered a loaded firearm from what i'm told?

It may vary in different states but in NSW, the answer is effectively yes. Act is a technically a little ambiguous (depends how far you want to push the "firearm" vs "firearm part" in the relevant section of the act) but realistically, it won't go well to have a loaded magazine. I do not know, but I strongly suspect, that you'd lose that argument. If anyone is aware of any cases it'd be interesting to know.

I have even been told by a LGS (which doesn't mean it's right, but I'd trust this bloke to be right more often than not) than I should not put a (just purchased, still in the plastic packaging) empty magazine in my ammo storage container, and this was when the ammo I'd just purchased was in a different calibre to the magazine. Now, he may well have just been being overcautious. But to be honest, its not worth risking my licence for.
Archie
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Return to Victorian gun laws