PTA - NSW, isn't it 2018?

Questions about New South Wales gun and ammunition laws. NSW Firearms Act 1996.

PTA - NSW, isn't it 2018?

Post by Hoot » 03 Jan 2018, 6:42 pm

Back from holidays, and with the dealer I bought my Lithgow Model 12 from chomping at the bit to get it to me, I started to dig around what the process was to get a PTA, thinking that things must have changed in the past 10 years.. but the only thing that has changed is that instead of having to send a cheque, I can put credit card details on the paperwork that I have to post, and hope doesn't go missing and someone has a spending spree with my card.

The mind absolutely boggles.. anyone want to have a bet as to how long it will take to come through? I saw some states have online application process, which is an improvement - but they'd be best off just dumping the whole system and letting those of us who are licenced just purchase a firearm, and advise the FAR afterwards. Common sense is too much to ask for...
Hoot
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Re: PTA - NSW, isn't it 2018?

Post by Archie » 04 Jan 2018, 8:41 am

NSW FAR are supposed to be moving to a fully online system this year, i.e. walk into the shop, they do the PTA and get a yes/no in real time. Believe it when I see it though.
Archie
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Mongrel » 04 Jan 2018, 9:12 am

Archie wrote:NSW FAR are supposed to be moving to a fully online system this year, i.e. walk into the shop, they do the PTA and get a yes/no in real time. Believe it when I see it though.

Now that i would love to see go through
Norinco 22lr
Howa 1500 308
Just the beginning :)
Mongrel
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by tom604 » 04 Jan 2018, 9:28 am

Archie wrote:NSW FAR are supposed to be moving to a fully online system this year, i.e. walk into the shop, they do the PTA and get a yes/no in real time. Believe it when I see it though.

never happen :cry: how are they going to do their "fit and proper" check without it sitting in a pile for a few weeks? :sarcasm:

takes four weeks in S.A. :thumbsup:
tom604
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

South Australia

Post by Hoot » 04 Jan 2018, 10:43 am

That's exactly how it should be IMO, I understand with the risk of fake ID's you can't just have someone walk in with a piece of plastic, but there has to be a better way. Will keep my fingers crossed they get the above working and that it rolls out better than the combined boat licence/drivers licence which has been a disaster every time I have to renew. Their last advise a Services NSW was that I seperate them again because it's too complicated to renew 3 years on.
Hoot
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Geech » 04 Jan 2018, 12:03 pm

Hoot wrote:.. anyone want to have a bet as to how long it will take to come through?

I've done 2 in the last three months. Both took just over a week from when they were received by the registry until I had the PTA in my letterbox
Geech
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by bullzeye » 09 Jan 2018, 10:14 am

PTAs still taking about 4 weeks..

Sent in early Dec, issued early Jan
bullzeye
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Hangfire » 09 Jan 2018, 12:42 pm

I spoke with my LGS in Sydney and the online check is coming tgus year sometime they are already preparing for it. Talk was same day perhaps minutes if it is not first firearm of that class and requires the month waiting period.
Hangfire
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Gun-nut » 10 Jan 2018, 10:24 pm

Hangfire wrote:I spoke with my LGS in Sydney and the online check is coming tgus year sometime they are already preparing for it. Talk was same day perhaps minutes if it is not first firearm of that class and requires the month waiting period.

Let's hope so mate. Its about time the other states started catching up with Vic in regards to online PTAs. Though as others have stated, it would be less convoluted if we got rid of the whole system altogether.
Gun-nut
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Gamerancher » 11 Jan 2018, 9:09 am

Half of the wait seems to be from the approval date to actually being in the letterbox. My most recent PTA's were approved Dec 16, ( a Monday ), in my mailbox 2nd January. I do realize that the Christmas break probably had the most effect on the delay but "snail-mail" certainly lived up to it's name. :lol:
In contrast, I have ordered goods from a Sydney gunshop ( not the one out west ) at lunchtime on a Thursday and they have
been here, ( Western NSW ) the next day. That's service for you. :thumbsup:
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by pomemax » 16 Aug 2018, 11:05 am

Current NSW PTA wait time
sent a registered letter to far with 3 pta inside they say it was received on the 12/7
I Had in the mail box the cat:b on the 9/8 and cat h on the 16/8
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by zhuk » 02 Nov 2018, 6:44 pm

I rang today, having posted a mailed PTA on Oct 23rd (10 days) Still hasn't got there I think it may have disappeared into the bowels of Aust Post (or fallen down the back of a desk in Murwillumbah lol)

I was told it could be at least a couple more weeks before it gets to the top of the pile, if it has arrived - and this includes the new online system - they still go into the backlog, all online submission does is take out the postal time...it still ends up in the same place as everything else (No VIC 14min world-record system for us!)

So another couple of weeks while my gun sits at the dealers, which took 3 days travel from QLD lol
zhuk
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Return to New South Wales gun laws