So why aren’t we talking about this?

Questions about Queensland gun and ammunition laws. QLD Weapons Act 1990.

Re: So why aren’t we talking about this?

Post by juststarting » 06 Jan 2018, 1:27 am

tom604, definitely burst, but I welcome facts. So, thanks.

Cars I took from ABS website, maybe I shouldn't do stats after midnight. It seems very high though. Anyway, firearms I went by what I've read. Which is interesting. I tend to keep myself up to date with this stuff, so I am actually amazed how much of this is not reported. And that brings us to my original statement that it's nothing - with your numbers, yep, still nothing.

Regarding whole of Australia vs gun owners only. I disagree. An incident can (and as break up of incidents shows) and often does involve multiple other non-gun-owner third-party, so I would still go with the population... also, why are we looking at accidents and hospitalisations? I am interested in unintentional deaths.

Looking at http://www.gunpolicy.org/firearms/region/australia - I have no mental capacity to work with numbers after midnight, as it has been shown, but skimming through actual deaths, it seems to me we are well below 0.9. In any case, 0.9, really... Not news.

As a side note, check out deaths from random falls. Stairs and gravity, the real killer.
---
https://reloadingstudio.com
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by juststarting » 06 Jan 2018, 1:34 am

Nope, sorry, still on the ball.

Unintentional Gun Deaths
2015: 3 or 0.01

---
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by JimTom » 06 Jan 2018, 7:03 am

This was a preventable tragic event. That poor family must be going through hell at the moment.
From a purely selfish point of view it infuriates me that one persons conduct reflects badly on us all. Yes the vast majority of owners are responsible and law abiding, however this event just gives those against firearm ownership more ammunition. Pun intended.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by marksman » 06 Jan 2018, 7:39 am

Scooter wrote:This was a preventable tragic event. That poor family must be going through hell at the moment.
From a purely selfish point of view it infuriates me that one persons conduct reflects badly on us all. Yes the vast majority of owners are responsible and law abiding, however this event just gives those against firearm ownership more ammunition. Pun intended.

+1 well said :thumbsup:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 06 Jan 2018, 8:26 am

Just now had a look at this thread.

Well said JS and Tom. (not sure about item a though JS)

Yes this is more or less rare, not cause for alarm or a lot of emotions. Accident caused by carelessness. Edit; often an accident has several contributing causes that, are not initially apparent. What we don't know is if he was regularly careless.

Accidents happen all the time. But it doesn't automatically mean a jail term or require law changes.

Grandfather will never forgive himself. And parents may not either. I just hope the child comes out of it OK.

I think everyone should just cool down a bit. Often written messages do not convey all of the information.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by juststarting » 06 Jan 2018, 9:35 am

Scooter wrote:From a purely selfish point of view it infuriates me that one persons conduct reflects badly on us all.

It's not selfish, but it's not a healthy view either. Just like community leaders and politicians yell from roof tops that not all Muslims are terrorist after an act of terrorism by a Muslim. Or we instinctively know that 'a' drive has a DUI, but that person is an exception. Bill Cosby ones said that black American youth won't get respect, while they themselves still call eachother niggers. I hate that term by the way, but for purposes of this conversation it's a very applicable statement.

Stop giving one person's actions oxygen. As soon as we stop having that defensive mentality, shooters will gain ground. Yep, am individual messeged up, but he doesn't represent anyone. And there are tools for dealing with this. By being angry and outraged, you are shifting his position from nothing, to 'LAFO representative'. He's not!

This is something SSAA should really be doing, but you know...
---
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 06 Jan 2018, 9:59 am

Very sad indeed.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by bigfellascott » 06 Jan 2018, 10:15 am

juststarting wrote:Nope, sorry, still on the ball.

Unintentional Gun Deaths

Check out deaths by “misadventure” in Hospitals - it’s a wonder they aren’t banned!
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by JimTom » 06 Jan 2018, 11:34 am

juststarting wrote:
Scooter wrote:From a purely selfish point of view it infuriates me that one persons conduct reflects badly on us all.

It's not selfish, but it's not a healthy view either. Just like community leaders and politicians yell from roof tops that not all Muslims are terrorist after an act of terrorism by a Muslim. Or we instinctively know that 'a' drive has a DUI, but that person is an exception. Bill Cosby ones said that black American youth won't get respect, while they themselves still call eachother niggers. I hate that term by the way, but for purposes of this conversation it's a very applicable statement.

Stop giving one person's actions oxygen. As soon as we stop having that defensive mentality, shooters will gain ground. Yep, am individual messeged up, but he doesn't represent anyone. And there are tools for dealing with this. By being angry and outraged, you are shifting his position from nothing, to 'LAFO representative'. He's not!

This is something SSAA should really be doing, but you know...

hear what you are saying juststarting, however, your above quote only seems to apply when the lefties defend the acts of terrorists, or any other action that suits their agenda.
Now that it’s a firearm owner that is responsible for a tragic incident, I’m certain they will exploit it to its full potential.
The left have blatant double standards in this regard when they apply it to anything that is in conservative Australians best interests.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by tom604 » 06 Jan 2018, 11:43 am

Unintentional Gun Deaths

:lol: :lol: :ugeek: cars cause much more carnage than guns, its just that people don't fear cars :thumbsdown:
or go ape sh*t when one isn't registered, i will hold judgement until more info is known about what happened not just what the "make news media" puts out
hope the kid makes a full recovery :thumbsup:
tom604
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

South Australia

Post by bigfellascott » 06 Jan 2018, 1:32 pm

tom604 wrote:

Unintentional Gun Deaths

:lol: :lol: :ugeek: cars cause much more carnage than guns, its just that people don't fear cars :thumbsdown:
or go ape sh*t when one isn't registered, i will hold judgement until more info is known about what happened not just what the "make news media" puts out
hope the kid makes a full recovery :thumbsup:

That's slowly changing with all these ****** running people over :D
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Previous

Return to Queensland gun laws