So why aren’t we talking about this?

Questions about Queensland gun and ammunition laws. QLD Weapons Act 1990.

So why aren’t we talking about this?

Post by andreweden » 05 Jan 2018, 3:46 pm

andreweden
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Re: So why aren’t we talking about this?

Post by hazza3006 » 05 Jan 2018, 4:01 pm

also didn't help that the child was told 'to never touch it', definitely the wrong approach, this is what can happen without an education on firearm safety.....my kids are educated almost daily on firearm safety...
hazza3006
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 05 Jan 2018, 4:21 pm

Maybe because there's no discussion possible.
He's an incredibly lax and ignorant gun owner that makes us all look like reckless morons.
No intelligent person drives around suburbia with a loaded rifle in the car.

I'd rather talk about the guy that had his 119 firearms confiscated - 109 of them unregistered.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by YoungBuck » 05 Jan 2018, 4:54 pm

This is why we have laws regarding firearm storage. Unfortunately for the owner, there's gotta be some sort of consequence for his actions (or lack of).
It'll shoot the fleas off a dog's back at five hundred yards, Tannen, and it's pointed straight at your head!
YoungBuck
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by andreweden » 05 Jan 2018, 5:04 pm

bladeracer wrote:

He's an incredibly lax and ignorant gun owner that makes us all look like reckless morons.

I'd rather talk about the guy that had his 119 firearms confiscated - 109 of them unregistered.

So 10 unregistered firearms is ok?
It’s like saying he was only .08 at the rbt and he’s a good bloke, so give him a pass.
andreweden
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 05 Jan 2018, 5:11 pm

andreweden wrote:
bladeracer wrote:

So 10 unregistered firearms is ok?
It’s like saying he was only .08 at the rbt and he’s a good bloke, so give him a pass.

Not sure how you managed to extrapolate my comment into that.
Ten of his firearms were registered. I never suggested he shouldn't be charged over the unregistered ones, although they seem to be collectible firearms that he's probably had for decades without harming anybody.
Attachments
NSW Police seize 118 firearms.JPG
NSW Police seize 118 firearms.JPG (115.51 KiB) Viewed 6832 times
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by andreweden » 05 Jan 2018, 5:17 pm

So what point are you trying to make?
What do you think should happen?
andreweden
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 05 Jan 2018, 5:26 pm

andreweden wrote:So what point are you trying to make?

Regarding which incident?
I think they should be charged as they have been.

I don't think the loaded rifle in the ute incident can possibly be justified in any way at all and he deserves everything they can throw at him.
The old fella with the extensive collection of old collectable firearms probably just needs a probationary bond and loss of licence I would think. It's not like he's hoarding guns to sell to criminal underworld figures or out shooting up the streets himself.
Like the case in November.
Attachments
Vic gun lover 14 unlicenced firearms.JPG
Vic gun lover 14 unlicenced firearms.JPG (124.51 KiB) Viewed 6824 times
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by hazza3006 » 05 Jan 2018, 5:33 pm

andreweden wrote:So what point are you trying to make?

Definitely authorities need to throw the book at him for a number of reasons, but most importantly to show that storage laws exist for reasons and it is the LAFOs accountability to comply. Consequnces await for non compliance.
hazza3006
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 05 Jan 2018, 5:39 pm

hharry06@gmail.com wrote:Definitely authorities need to throw the book at him for a number of reasons, but most importantly to show that storage laws exist for reasons and it is the LAFOs accountability to comply. Consequnces await for non compliance.

My understanding is it has nothing to do with storage as he had the rifle in his ute...loaded.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by hazza3006 » 05 Jan 2018, 5:49 pm

bladeracer wrote:
hharry06@gmail.com wrote:Definitely authorities need to throw the book at him for a number of reasons, but most importantly to show that storage laws exist for reasons and it is the LAFOs accountability to comply. Consequnces await for non compliance.

My understanding is it has nothing to do with storage as he had the rifle in his ute...loaded.

I'm referring to the original OP article, clearly non-compliant storage of registered firearm, inexcusable and throw the book at him, he needs to held accountable.
Last edited by hazza3006 on 05 Jan 2018, 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hazza3006
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 05 Jan 2018, 5:49 pm

bladeracer wrote:

I can't find the reference to the rifle being in a ute now, bugger. I may be mistaken in that detail.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 05 Jan 2018, 5:51 pm

hharry06@gmail.com wrote:I'm referring to the original OP article, clearly non-compliant storage of registered firearm

I wonder when his last storage inspection was...
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by hazza3006 » 05 Jan 2018, 6:12 pm

bladeracer wrote:
hharry06@gmail.com wrote:I'm referring to the original OP article, clearly non-compliant storage of registered firearm

The police are not accountable for irresponsible owner, storage compliance 100% lies with accountable with owner. Due to his incompetence, a young innocent boy is in a serious condition. There is simply no excuse for such disregard to storage laws. And the grandfathers excuse trying to blame the grandchild also shows his incompetence on the matter as well.
hazza3006
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Daddybang » 05 Jan 2018, 6:21 pm

bladeracer wrote:
bladeracer wrote:

I can't find the reference to the rifle being in a ute now, bugger. I may be mistaken in that detail.

Two kids playing with a rifle in a shed.
The owner should and probably will have the book thrown at them. When a child is hurt wilfully or accidentally thru negligence there are no excuses. :drinks:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 05 Jan 2018, 6:22 pm

hharry06@gmail.com wrote:
bladeracer wrote:

The police are not accountable for irresponsible owner, storage compliance 100% lies with accountable with owner. Due to his incompetence, a young innocent boy is in a serious condition. There is simply no excuse for such disregard to storage laws. And the grandfathers excuse trying to blame the grandchild also shows his incompetence on the matter as well.

I agree, I'm just wondering when Police last attended and okayed his secure storage.
I've already said that there is no possible way to try to justify this incident. Total contempt for everything a firearms licence stands for in my opinion.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by juststarting » 05 Jan 2018, 6:29 pm

Absolutely no excuse. We need tougher laws. Like loss of licence and jail time for negligence. Oh wait... Like laws against hit-and-run, ye? That totally removed that...

It's almost as if OP is fishing for a specific response about something.

What response are you looking for?
---
https://reloadingstudio.com
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by andreweden » 05 Jan 2018, 8:23 pm

I’m just sick of people making excuses for some violations and wanting the book thrown at others yet all along touting the poor LAFO get all this schtick from cops/politicians etc. If you want to tout this idea of a LAFO, it’s all or nothing, not just the laws you agree with. Even suggesting some old bloke with 100 firearms not stored correctly or not registered should get some leeway just because they are collectibles and he wasn’t hurting anyone is bulls**t.
When we claim in any way that it should be ok to bend the laws that already exist, it is in itself the reason that consideration isn’t given to changing the existing laws to make things easier for us. Particularly when it’s the simple stuff like registering and securely storing firearms we already have!
andreweden
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 05 Jan 2018, 8:34 pm

andreweden wrote:I’m just sick of people making excuses for some violations and wanting the book thrown at others yet all along touting the poor LAFO get all this schtick from cops/politicians etc. If you want to tout this idea of a LAFO, it’s all or nothing, not just the laws you agree with. Even suggesting some old bloke with 100 firearms not stored correctly or not registered should get some leeway just because they are collectibles and he wasn’t hurting anyone is bulls**t.
When we claim in any way that it should be ok to bend the laws that already exist, it is in itself the reason that consideration isn’t given to changing the existing laws to make things easier for us. Particularly when it’s the simple stuff like registering and securely storing firearms we already have!

You won't hear me saying anything about this poor LAFO, there's not much law-abiding going on there.

I don't agree with registration at all so I don't believe anybody should be labeled a criminal for failing to register firearms that probably didn't require registration before and hopefully won't in the future if we can get rid of the registry.

I have no problem with any law-abiding person having as many firearms as they want. It's only people with criminal intent that need to be targeted for possessing firearms. Yes, he should be charged for failing to register his firearms, but there's no societal benefit to making a criminal out of him.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 05 Jan 2018, 8:36 pm

juststarting wrote:It's almost as if OP is fishing for a specific response about something.

Now we know :-)
He didn't want to know why we weren't talking about it, he wanted to know why we weren't up in arms about the poor bastard being persecuted for simply neglecting to keep his firearms away from children, hopefully we've answered his question :-)
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by andreweden » 05 Jan 2018, 8:42 pm

bladeracer wrote:
juststarting wrote:It's almost as if OP is fishing for a specific response about something.

He didn't want to know why we weren't talking about it, he wanted to know why we weren't up in arms about the poor bastard being persecuted for simply neglecting to keep his firearms away from children, hopefully we've answered his question :-)

You really don’t know s**t, but if you think you do, have fun with that.
andreweden
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 05 Jan 2018, 8:46 pm

andreweden wrote:
bladeracer wrote:

Lovely attitude you have...you confirmed exactly what I said so there's no call for getting upset about it. You posted it to troll a response that you didn't get. "I’m just sick of people making excuses for some violations and wanting the book thrown at others..."
Find me any firearm owner that doesn't believe this guy deserves everything they can throw at him.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by hazza3006 » 05 Jan 2018, 8:54 pm

bladeracer wrote:Find me any firearm owner that doesn't believe this guy deserves everything they can throw at him.

yep and spot on, no one has defended the owners disgraceful negligence, but rather i believe we have all agreed its unacceptable and he ( the registered firearm owner ) needs to held accountable, plain and simple. Any decent LAFO, also advocates for sensible laws, such as storage laws, and rightly judges with prejudice individuals non-compliance.
Last edited by hazza3006 on 05 Jan 2018, 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hazza3006
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Daddybang » 05 Jan 2018, 8:56 pm

andreweden wrote:
bladeracer wrote:

I wish I knew how to post the popcorn meme about now :lol: :lol: :lol:
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by andreweden » 05 Jan 2018, 9:00 pm

The attitude is you thinking you have a clue about me. You think you have me summed up, that is your arrogance right there.

People on here have an opinion on African teens in Melbourne to muzzle brakes to whether or not a certain caliber is any good yet suddenly silent on something that will nearly certainly be used as more grist for the mill against some commonsense changes to the laws we currently have. Why?? Makes no sense to fob off the question.

Its so much easier to call me a troll than answer the question and throw in red herrings about other cases.
andreweden
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Daddybang » 05 Jan 2018, 9:08 pm

andreweden wrote:
People on here have an opinion on African teens in Melbourne to muzzle brakes to whether or not a certain caliber is any good yet suddenly silent on something that will nearly certainly be used as more grist for the mill against some commonsense changes to the laws we currently have. Why?? Makes no sense to fob off the question.

The subjects mentioned above are open to different opinions. The fact a firearm is left where a six year old can have access to it..
There's really no discussion to have. :drinks:
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 05 Jan 2018, 9:11 pm

andreweden wrote:The attitude is you thinking you have a clue about me. You think you have me summed up, that is your arrogance right there.

Its so much easier to call me a troll than answer the question and throw in red herrings about other cases.

My view of your opinion is based entirely on what you have posted yourself. If you think I have built a view that you had not intended then perhaps your post was poorly stated. Since he made zero effort to comply with the laws I don't see how the anti's can say the laws about security need tightening up, he would've ignored those with equal disdain. This guy is not a LAFO by anybody's definition.

I answered the question and even provided other examples of recent incidents. You're just upset that nobody took a bite of the bait you offered.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by andreweden » 05 Jan 2018, 9:22 pm

Not even the slightest bit upset.
Not baiting or trolling, and if you think it’s that, you are mistaken.
Completely at a loss why bollocks that is nothing more than piss and vinegar gets so much attention and yet things that directly impact the sport get ignored. And while that keeps happening, the sport we enjoy is doomed to be regulated out of existence.
andreweden
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 05 Jan 2018, 9:23 pm

Daddybang wrote:The fact a firearm is left where a six year old can have access to it..
There's really no discussion to have. :drinks:

I wish I'd worded my original response this way :-)
That's exactly how I feel about it, nothing to discuss as it's entirely one-sided.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by hazza3006 » 05 Jan 2018, 9:29 pm

andreweden wrote:Not even the slightest bit upset.
Completely at a loss why bollocks that is nothing more than piss and vinegar gets so much attention and yet things that directly impact the sport get ignored. And while that keeps happening, the sport we enjoy is doomed to be regulated out of existence.

as has been said, as the owner is clearly not a LAFO ( violated the all important storage laws ), nothing more to be said, other than we have no sympathy for him, and he deserves everything he gets from authorities.

Adding extra laws or regulations will do nothing to change these types of individuals ways, case in point the storage laws he already violated.
hazza3006
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Next

Return to Queensland gun laws