Traveling from Vic to NSW with firearms

Questions about New South Wales gun and ammunition laws. NSW Firearms Act 1996.

Traveling from Vic to NSW with firearms

Post by pete1 » 03 Feb 2018, 9:13 pm

So i'm most likely going to a property in NSW to hunt on in couple of weeks.
Can i just drive int NSW with a Vic licence or do i need to to fill out a form before i go?
What other legal things do i need to worry about, I've heard you bolt must be removed from the firearm?

Just want to do things all legal, so there's no problems.
Thanks in advance.
22LR
12G
12G
12G
pete1
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Re: Traveling from Vic to NSW with firearms

Post by southeast varmiter » 03 Feb 2018, 10:10 pm

Contact NSW firearms department. Also If your shooting game you’ll need a hunting license.
If you carry a firearm prohibited in NSW you’ll be done.
southeast varmiter
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Noisydad » 04 Feb 2018, 7:59 am

Surely cant be that hard - there are a bazillion clay target shooters that cross the Murray every weekend.
There's still a few of Wile. E Coyote's ideas that I haven't tried yet.
Noisydad
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by scoobs » 04 Feb 2018, 10:59 am

not sure about vic to nsw.

but i know going from nsw to qld with firearms, i do not need to do anything at all as i have permission to shoot on a property up there.

without permission to shoot i would either need to be participating in a comp or apply for a visitors licence
Tikka t3x super lite stainless .308/Nikon M-308 4-16x42 BDC-800.
Tikka T3X varmint stainless 22-250/Bushnell Trophy Extreme 6-24x50.
Lithgow LA101 22LR/bushnell rimfire 3-12x40
Adler a110 12Ga 20" tactical.
scoobs
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by scoobs » 04 Feb 2018, 11:02 am

found this. looks like NSW has the same rules:

https://www.police.nsw.gov.au/__data/as ... 13_1.3.pdf
Tikka t3x super lite stainless .308/Nikon M-308 4-16x42 BDC-800.
Tikka T3X varmint stainless 22-250/Bushnell Trophy Extreme 6-24x50.
Lithgow LA101 22LR/bushnell rimfire 3-12x40
Adler a110 12Ga 20" tactical.
scoobs
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Gamerancher » 04 Feb 2018, 11:09 am

You just need written permission from the land owner to hunt on the property. This can be in hard copy, ( paper ) or electronic, as in an email or text. Must have contact details of said land owner. Your Victorian licence is valid in NSW so long as it covers the type of firearm you have and that firearm is not restricted in NSW.
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by southeast varmiter » 04 Feb 2018, 11:37 am

Noisydad wrote:Surely cant be that hard - there are a bazillion clay target shooters that cross the Murray every weekend.

Get caught with a folding stock and see.
southeast varmiter
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Wombat » 04 Feb 2018, 12:46 pm

I think you also have to transport in a locked container locked to the vehicle. As in a locked case chained to a point inside the boot (or toolbox etc).
Wombat
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by pomemax » 04 Feb 2018, 1:11 pm

Wombat wrote:I think you also have to transport in a locked container locked to the vehicle. As in a locked case chained to a point inside the boot (or toolbox etc).

Not quite right you can have them on the back seat under a blanket if you wish Bolt in mag in just no ammo . Ammo in separate locked container.

There are no requirement to transport them in the boot of your car locked or stripped down or chained to the car your licence is ok in NSW its not WA . Where people coming from Vic to NSW get unglued is when they go through Canberra there you need chains to secure and bolts out mags out and don,t forget Jarvis Bay area is part of the ACT as far as fire arms are concerned

Where people get confused they read the firearms Reg,s re transporting section but they don,t seem to read for "commercial transportation of firearms" .
I tend to fall on the side of caution when I have any firearms in the car they are in the boot in a case either soft or hard and fitted with a trigger lock the reason I do this is the general duty cops that may pull you over may not have as much firearms training as we think they have and they they get a bit Stressed when they may walk up to your car first thing they do a radio check on the owner of the car and I bet it comes back with owns firearms may be in vehicle .

If they ask I can say yes they are in the boot ALL fitted with trigger locks
They may be pump action or leavers, bolts , ALL have locks.

Depends on what you may be hunting if you have hunting on you licence you can take any introduced species APART from any form of DEER so long as you have land owners permission to hunt .
If your planning to hunt deer you will need a G ( game licence ) or and R licence G is for private and r is for state forrests
Last edited by pomemax on 04 Feb 2018, 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by Apollo » 04 Feb 2018, 1:12 pm

Wombat wrote:I think you also have to transport in a locked container locked to the vehicle. As in a locked case chained to a point inside the boot (or toolbox etc).

https://www.police.nsw.gov.au/online_se ... fe_storage
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Wombat » 04 Feb 2018, 1:47 pm

I was going off what I was told during during a Victorian firearms course 14 odd years ago. Glad that is is no longer (or ever was) the case.
Wombat
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Wombat » 04 Feb 2018, 1:58 pm

After reading https://www.police.nsw.gov.au/__data/as ... t_2017.pdf "They must be rendered temporarily incapable of being fired (eg by removal of the bolt/firing
mechanism or the use of trigger locks) or must be kept in a locked container that is properly secured to, or is within
the vehicle." as "The Commissioner has determined that 'all reasonable precautions', as
required under section 39 of the Act, have been met if category A & B firearms
are conveyed in the same manner as category C, D & H firearms."

So I was half right.
Wombat
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Apollo » 04 Feb 2018, 2:39 pm

Sorta half right. Don't get confused by looking at the Cat C,D & H requirements to which your above extract refers.

Second paragraph on the page.

The next is for an unattended vehicle. Always worried me leaving a vehicle unattended especially when I have a T/Top Extra Cab. No boot. I usually travel with company so nobody leaves anything unattended. If alone and I need fuel then I pick a place that I can stay within a few metres of my locked vehicle. Call to nature happens in the middle of nowhere beside the vehicle. Pretty much common sense to keep an on your gear even if it is locked up and whatever else you like.

I don't like the idea of losing a $10,000 target rifle yet alone 2-3 at once.
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by agentzero » 04 Feb 2018, 8:41 pm

southeast varmiter wrote:
Noisydad wrote:Surely cant be that hard - there are a bazillion clay target shooters that cross the Murray every weekend.

Get caught with a folding stock and see.

Go with a fixed stock and don't see :unknown:
agentzero
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Tasmania

Post by Steve-0 » 27 Oct 2019, 9:13 am

I'm traveling to NSW next week, and hope to go shooting in a property with a friend, only chasing rabbits and foxes, and I have struggled to find any difinitive information about firearms storage in the vehicle while traveling from Vic to NSW.
I'm hearing bolt stored separately in a locked box. I won't be travelling with ammo, I'll buy it there. If I was to have the rifle in a padded soft case, with trigger lock attached, in the back of the wagon covered out of site with bags/luggae etc would this keep me out of trouble?
Steve-0
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 27 Oct 2019, 10:53 am

Steve-0 wrote:I'm traveling to NSW next week, and hope to go shooting in a property with a friend, only chasing rabbits and foxes, and I have struggled to find any difinitive information about firearms storage in the vehicle while traveling from Vic to NSW.
I'm hearing bolt stored separately in a locked box. I won't be travelling with ammo, I'll buy it there. If I was to have the rifle in a padded soft case, with trigger lock attached, in the back of the wagon covered out of site with bags/luggae etc would this keep me out of trouble?

Just down load the pdf from the above link
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by zhuk » 02 Nov 2019, 10:40 am

Steve-0 wrote:If I was to have the rifle in a padded soft case, with trigger lock attached, in the back of the wagon covered out of site with bags/luggae etc would this keep me out of trouble?

Precisely how I travel to my club, there are no requirements for a trigger lock but can't hurt to assuage a cop who doesn't know any better, as an above poster pointed out. Bolt in locked ammo box is what I do. Plus I also drive a station wagon with a blanket covering the rifle; have travelled with multiple rifles in their individual bags this way (and slept in the back with them lol)
zhuk
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Return to New South Wales gun laws