Am I missing something?

Questions about Queensland gun and ammunition laws. QLD Weapons Act 1990.

Re: Am I missing something?

Post by Gaznazdiak » 03 Mar 2018, 4:44 pm

Laws that have a logical reason, for safety and security I have no trouble with, licencing, storage, registration and transporting.
The ones that are just illogical knee-jerkery sh!t me to tears.
In NSW, you have to have a permit, as for a firearm, to own a totally inert replica. You have to supply a genuine reason, as for a firearm. You have to store it the same way as the category of firearm it replicates, all for a harmless, realistic looking TOY.
We all know the unbridled f*ckery surrounding the acquisition and storage of the inert metal tubes known as suppressors.
The fact, mentioned previously in this thread, that there is a category difference for repeating and self-loading firearms.
The replica nonsense also applies to knives, something of which I am also fond.
I am allowed, for example to import through the post a Cold Steel Magnum Tanto, with a 12 inch blade of surgically sharp San Mai steel, an item that to quote Squint Eastwood, "will take your head clean off". I pay the manufacturer in the USA and 10 days later the posty delivers it.
Several years ago I purchased two replica knives from Cold Steel, made from Grivory glass reinforced plastic. These are used for training purposes and can cut cheese but little else.
Instead of my knives turning up, I received a letter from customs telling me they had been confiscated as a prohibited item, as non-metallic knives were illegal to import.
To get them released to me I had to apply to the Police Minister, giving a detailed description, including picture and measurements, detail why I wanted them and how they would be stored.
When I eventually received a permission letter from this minister, I had to include that with another application form, detailing everything as before to the Customs Minister and wait several more weeks before being granted his permission. I then had to include both permissions with a third application to Customs themselves to finally get my two plastic knives.
6 months and many dollars worth of postage later they finally arrived, accompanied by a letter threatening me with jail and 6 figure fines if I was to attempt to do this again without prior permission.
We have self-serving chair polishers making up these bullsh!t regulations for no better reason than to try to justify their place at the trough.
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 03 Mar 2018, 5:51 pm

Bruiser64 wrote:Most criminals in WA don’t use firearms in their crimes as they are hard to obtain and very expensive on the black market. In my experience most crims are impulsive and opportunistic in their criminal behaviour. Most of them dont have the financial means to obtain a black market firearm.

Are you sure they simply aren't interested in using firearms for criminal activities rather than it being a price issue?
I believe our entire mentality simply doesn't make Aussies even think about using guns in that way, although recent importing of non-Aussies is certainly changing that.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Bruiser64 » 03 Mar 2018, 6:21 pm

bladeracer wrote:
Bruiser64 wrote:Most criminals in WA don’t use firearms in their crimes as they are hard to obtain and very expensive on the black market. In my experience most crims are impulsive and opportunistic in their criminal behaviour. Most of them dont have the financial means to obtain a black market firearm.

Are you sure they simply aren't interested in using firearms for criminal activities rather than it being a price issue?
I believe our entire mentality simply doesn't make Aussies even think about using guns in that way, although recent importing of non-Aussies is certainly changing that.

Based on my observations of them, they use whatever weapon that comes easily to hand. In the US firearms are readily available. Here in Australia they are not. The crims here use knives, screw drivers, star pickets lumps of wood etc. with all these implements the crim has to close with their intended victim. Which is why, when you look at the details of their offending, the victim is nearly always smaller and less powerful. Surprisingly, a lot of the crims I see are not big men. My observation is that although they can be exceedingly violent, they arent courageous. They like the odds firmly stacked in their favour. It is incredible how sooky they are in a custodial environment. They dont mind perpetrating an assault, but lordy me they hate being the victim of one.

The issue with firearms is that they allow a smaller, violently inclined cowardly crim to inflict lethal injury on their victim with minimal physical risk to themselves. Hence my enthusiasm for keeping firearms as hard to get for them as possible.
Bruiser64
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by marksman » 03 Mar 2018, 8:47 pm

I agree with you in that I have an enthusiasm for keeping firearms as hard to get for the crims
but how does that happen to stop them with the gun laws we have ? really
and I do agree to locking up your firearms and ammo
2 weeks or so ago thieve's stole a cache of firearms in a country Victorian farm by using the farmers tractor to pull the safe and the wall out
its common knowledge that the crims are using 4x4's and snatch straps to get the safes out as well
or the thieve's knock on your door bash you and your wife and you give them what they want
the law makes it harder for the crims but does not stop them
lets hope some of the suggestions from clubs doing the traps a while ago never see light eg: having to store your firearms at an armoury for a price, of coarse
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Bruiser64 » 03 Mar 2018, 9:07 pm

marksman wrote:I agree with you in that I have an enthusiasm for keeping firearms as hard to get for the crims
but how does that happen to stop them with the gun laws we have ? really
and I do agree to locking up your firearms and ammo
2 weeks or so ago thieve's stole a cache of firearms in a country Victorian farm by using the farmers tractor to pull the safe and the wall out
its common knowledge that the crims are using 4x4's and snatch straps to get the safes out as well
or the thieve's knock on your door bash you and your wife and you give them what they want
the law makes it harder for the crims but does not stop them
lets hope some of the suggestions from clubs doing the traps a while ago never see light eg: having to store your firearms at an armoury for a price, of coarse

The crims engaging in the behaviour described are clearly motivated and organised. In a perverse way it shows that the steps taken to limit firearms availability have succeeded. By this I mean that these motivated crims have to put in a significant effort to get their firearms. This effort and the associated risks would make the stolen item of more value. Therefore less likely to come into the hands of the “common or garden” crim. The common or garden crim is the one who robs the petrol station and gers away with a few hundred bucks. When he gets caught he gets to do a substantial whack. Or at least he does here in WA.
Bruiser64
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Wombat » 04 Mar 2018, 2:37 pm

burek wrote:Appearance laws. Appearance to whom? We're not supposed to be brandishing guns in front of the public so who cares what they may appear like to the clueless? What is "military appearance" anyway? Why isn't this contested in courts. Just seems to me like it couldn't stand up to a well reasoned argument in front of a non biased judge.

I think the Idea with the Appearance laws was to reduce the appeal for those who want to play soldiers.
Wombat
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Previous

Return to Queensland gun laws