Visiting WA with rifle.

Questions about Western Australian gun and ammunition laws. W.A. Firearms Act 1973.

Visiting WA with rifle.

Post by andreweden » 09 Mar 2018, 10:54 pm

Anyone visited WA with their rifle?
Any special requirements? Visitors permit?
Storage requirements?
andreweden
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Re: Visiting WA with rifle.

Post by No1Mk3 » 10 Mar 2018, 6:03 am

You need to get an actual WA licenceXXXXXX
Sorry, I was being facetious, a bit grumpy this morning from a bad night at work. You can apply for a Temporary Permit, download from WAPOL website, and check WA Regulations as some firearms, such as Remington pump action 223 and revolving rifles are prohibited. The Permit, last time we got one, was $59 a month or part thereof. Are you going to hunt? You may need a property letter before you apply for your permit, the Application explains all this, Cheers.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by andreweden » 10 Mar 2018, 7:48 am

No1Mk3 wrote:You need to get an actual WA licenceXXXXXX
Sorry, I was being facetious, a bit grumpy this morning from a bad night at work. You can apply for a Temporary Permit, download from WAPOL website, and check WA Regulations as some firearms, such as Remington pump action 223 and revolving rifles are prohibited. The Permit, last time we got one, was $59 a month or part thereof. Are you going to hunt? You may need a property letter before you apply for your permit, the Application explains all this, Cheers.

Thanks!

:D
andreweden
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 10 Mar 2018, 10:24 am

andreweden wrote:Anyone visited WA with their rifle?
Any special requirements? Visitors permit?
Storage requirements?

Firearms need to be legal in WA.
They do not recognise non-WA registration.
You need to stop at the first Police station and get temporary permits for your firearms and ammunition.
You will also need the ammunition types on the permit as it is illegal to possess ammunition for a firearm you do not possess.
There is a free two-week permit that allows you to enter WA with a firearm you intend to licence there.
If you intend to use them you will need the other permit which costs $54 a month (in 2015), can last three months, and can only be renewed once. If it expires (due to illness for example) your firearms will be unregistered and Police will demand you hand them in for destruction. I had a gun shop mail mine back to my dealer here.

Ammunition - including all components - are required to be stored in a safe the same as firearms. If you don't live there though then you are merely travelling, which is the usual vagueness. Every Police officer I spoke to in WA told me one thing - any firearm lost or stolen from a vehicle with result in charges. I bolted a gun safe into the bus as we were living in it, and kept the ammo in the bolt box in the safe.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 10 Mar 2018, 10:26 am

No1Mk3 wrote:Are you going to hunt? You may need a property letter before you apply for your permit, the Application explains all this, Cheers.

I don't recall anything on the permit about what you want to use your firearms for and I wasn't asked about property letters. I did explain to them that I was hoping to find hunting opportunities while there.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Sawyers » 10 Mar 2018, 7:13 pm

No1Mk3 wrote:You need to get an actual WA licenceXXXXXX

Just out of curiosity where did you hear that Remington 223 pumps where prohibited? As I know several people that own Remington 308 pumps actions and where licensed just like any other cat b firearm
Sawyers
Private
Private

Western Australia

Post by No1Mk3 » 10 Mar 2018, 8:53 pm

G'day Sawyers,
7600 perfectly legal, 7615 because it can take AR mags, no go. I refer you to WA Firearm Regulation 26B, Sect 2, Sub section C. It refers to the Table of firearms in Section 4, which Permits cannot be issued for, Item 5 of which is :Remington 7615P .223 cal", Cheers.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by andreweden » 10 Mar 2018, 9:35 pm

Only planning on bringing my .308 bolt action to deal with a few Roos on a mates property. He has the permission to knock them off and has all the neighbours on side. Qantas seem very accommodating for getting there. Just don’t want to fly into a world of s**t. Will chat with his local copper it seems.
andreweden
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by andreweden » 10 Mar 2018, 9:36 pm

Thanks for all the info everyone.
andreweden
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Return to Western Australia gun laws