PTA for collectors licence (VIC specific)

Questions about Victorian gun and ammunition laws. Victorian Firearms Act 1996.

PTA for collectors licence (VIC specific)

Post by juststarting » 15 Mar 2018, 12:20 am

Hi all

Curiosity question (weighing up options) regarding PTA and collectors licence (VIC specific)...

Purchasing a firearm on collectors licence. Specifically, 'Collectors 1' licence. Does the PTA work in the same way as it does for Cat A&B or what's the process, specifically for pre-1946 handguns?

For example, do I need an endorsement from a collectors club to purchase something? Can my LGS do an electronic PTA submission for me? Are there any different waiting periods? Etc.

Do I need to do fingerprints twice (e.g. Cat H and Collectors 1)?

Anything you'd like to share would be fantastic, as long as it's Vic specific.

Thanks!
---
https://reloadingstudio.com
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Re: PTA for collectors licence (VIC specific)

Post by No1Mk3 » 15 Mar 2018, 5:48 am

G'day juststarting,
For longarms, just fill out and submit by post or email, your dealer cannot submit electronically for Collectors, (couldn't, maybe a better term as things seem to change fairly quickly at the moment). For handguns, an Authorised Officer of your collectors club needs to endorse the application. Times are the same as Cat A/B or Cat H. Don't understand the fingerprints bit, are you saying you don't have Cat H yet? If so, then you will need to re-do your prints for your Cat H application even if they are on file as the bastards want the money almost as badly as they want to deter people from having a handgun licence, Cheers.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by juststarting » 15 Mar 2018, 7:32 am

Thanks, No1Mk3
---
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by cflake » 16 Mar 2018, 7:09 pm

I received my cat 1 collectors (plastic card) a few weeks ago.

I already have a cat H and didn't need to submit another set of fingerprints, they just issued the license but it was less than a year since I did the police check so I guess it was still valid.

My gun shop put in a Cat C (.22 semi) PTA electronically on Saturday and it was approved on Monday, so usual timeframe. They won't do it for you though until they sight the plastic card. I picked it up a few days later - no inspection so far but I'm waiting for a knock at the door. Keep in mind that a Cat C longarm on a collectors license have to be stored temporarily deactivated so bolt and firing pin removed or trigger lock in place.

Any pre-47 handguns will need club endorsement prior to PTA, so for this I assume you follow the same process at cat H handguns - I haven't purchased any yet.
cflake
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by juststarting » 16 Mar 2018, 7:16 pm

I've been reading through the storage requirements and this is what gets me...

Bars on windows? WTF?!?!
Then deadbolts on room where safe is?
Something about walls too, being that most of us have plaster walls - again, WTF?!

I'm setup for gun storage and all that, but bars on windows and reinforced room, what the actual f***!

If this is the case, then I'm definitely not going through with this.
---
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Return to Victorian gun laws