Transport/postage of firearms in WA

Questions about Western Australian gun and ammunition laws. W.A. Firearms Act 1973.

Transport/postage of firearms in WA

Post by BRNOmod2 » 16 Mar 2018, 8:43 pm

Chasing some correct info for WA ONLY

So I have been told that WA Aust Post will no longer transport firearms either:

1 - within WA
2 - out of WA
3 - into WA

Can some one who is knowledgeable of the WA Aust Post changes, please either clarify for me the above 3 rules for me

- Perhaps someone in the WA trade, who would obviously have to have a working solution to the above if it is indeed correct.

I was planning to purchase a collectable firearm from East States, and was just going to have it shipped to my LGS as i have done in years gone by, but was informed verbally by mate of the above, and need to know if the above WA Aust Post rules are indeed correct - And how the hell do i get it to my LGS without paying excessive $$$ to courier.

The pure ludicrousness of the WA Firearms Lic system, is all to familiar to me and most WA LFO's, so if those from east states can refrain form posting the "your state is ^%$##", or "I wouldn't stand for it" or "just move to ...." type posts, as these wont help me with asserting the real facts, even if your views are quite right.

Thanks in advance for any info
BRNOmod2
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Re: Transport/postage of firearms in WA

Post by Daddybang » 17 Mar 2018, 10:08 am

I'd be emailing Australia Post and getting an answer in writing. :drinks:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 17 Mar 2018, 10:11 am

Or talk to the local post office.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Archie » 17 Mar 2018, 3:27 pm

Australia post has a national guide for the transport of dangerous goods - it’ll come up if you google it. Anyway, the section covering firearms - I think it’s 5.2 - specifically says that they are not an authorised carrier under WA law and therefore they cannot transport firearms inside, into or from WA. WA is actually the only state specifically singled out in that section. So yeah, I think you’re out of luck on that one sorry.
Archie
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Toecutter » 17 Mar 2018, 6:31 pm

I just paid for a second hand rifle that should be landing here next week from Tas so I hope they have factored that little detail into their calculations.
The vendor got a quote from the gun shop at his end to mine and I paid the quoted freight on top of purchase price.
I haven't heard anything from them but I hope there are no probs. Will let you know.
Toecutter
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by No1Mk3 » 18 Mar 2018, 5:04 am

Understand this is not Aus Post policy, but one foisted on them by WAPOL and their decision to restrict firearm transport to "approved carriers". Whether Aus Post bother to gain approval, or even if WAPOL will grant such, remains to be seen. Until then, courier is your best bet. Perhaps an opportunity for someone in Border Village to act as Forwarder, changing Post to Courier to reduce costs for a small enough fee to be a little income on the side? Not a good situation for you Sandgropers to buy from over here nor for us to buy from sellers in WA, but unless you can find political influence to change WAPOL's mind (and good luck with that) we are stuck, Cheers.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by holden4th » 18 Mar 2018, 5:07 pm

No1Mk3 wrote:Understand this is not Aus Post policy, but one foisted on them by WAPOL and their decision to restrict firearm transport to "approved carriers". Whether Aus Post bother to gain approval, or even if WAPOL will grant such, remains to be seen. Until then, courier is your best bet. Perhaps an opportunity for someone in Border Village to act as Forwarder, changing Post to Courier to reduce costs for a small enough fee to be a little income on the side? Not a good situation for you Sandgropers to buy from over here nor for us to buy from sellers in WA, but unless you can find political influence to change WAPOL's mind (and good luck with that) we are stuck, Cheers.

This is correct and the circumstances that caused this are laughable but more of that later. The approved carriers (there are only eleven of them) charge like a wounded bull but there is a way around it.

I recently had a working revolver sent to my dealer in QLD from WA. To avoid the 'approved carriers' issue the revolver was sent as firearm parts, not a complete firearm. I won't say how we got around this but the WA dealer was the one who worked it out and the courier charge was minimal. If you want to know more then please PM me. All I will say is that it was legal and above board and complied with WA regulations.
holden4th
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by N.Field » 19 Mar 2018, 1:54 pm

Does this policy also apply to sending gun parts into and within WA?
N.Field
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Mattj82 » 19 Mar 2018, 4:01 pm

N.Field wrote:Does this policy also apply to sending gun parts into and within WA?

Yep, for something like a barrel that needs to be sent to a dealer, it would have to be sent via an approved carrier.

I got a quote to sent a handgun from Perth to Broome last week... $600.

Matt
Mattj82
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by Daddybang » 19 Mar 2018, 4:24 pm

Mattj82 wrote:
N.Field wrote:Does this policy also apply to sending gun parts into and within WA?

Yep, for something like a barrel that needs to be sent to a dealer, it would have to be sent via an approved carrier.

Matt

Almost cheaper to drive down and pick it up!!!! :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :drinks:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by holden4th » 19 Mar 2018, 5:56 pm

And this is why WAPOL have the upper hand. It is interesting to note that WAPOL decided on the approved carriers, a right they do not actually have but it appears that nobody has challenged it. The firearms transportation regulations from the WA Govt have not changed so you are effectively living in a police state.

There is a way around this exorbitant cost. The one thing you have to think about is that WAPOL are talking about the transportation of a complete firearm. Now how would you get around that? The dealer who sent across my Taurus certainly did and it was all legal and above board. I've got a S&W 627 coming soon from WA and I want to get it across before the loopholes are closed.

Watch this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8zlaRxDA1g
holden4th
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by N.Field » 19 Mar 2018, 6:10 pm

Mattj82 wrote:

Matt

Okay, thanks
N.Field
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Toecutter » 05 Sep 2018, 10:43 pm

Toecutter wrote:I just paid for a second hand rifle that should be landing here next week from Tas so I hope they have factored that little detail into their calculations.
The vendor got a quote from the gun shop at his end to mine and I paid the quoted freight on top of purchase price.
I haven't heard anything from them but I hope there are no probs. Will let you know.

It arrived not long after in many separate parts!!

:clap:
Toecutter
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by NWhunter » 26 May 2019, 1:36 pm

I rang firearms branch and they confirmed that Australia post is now an approved courier it is just Australia post have not updated their info and informed all their outlets apparently they have been approved for a while
NWhunter
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by Empie » 28 Jun 2019, 11:34 pm

NWhunter wrote:I rang firearms branch and they confirmed that Australia post is now an approved courier it is just Australia post have not updated their info and informed all their outlets apparently they have been approved for a while

I haven't yet found an interstate dealer willing to restart freighting into WA with AustPost. Msg I got from AustPost yesterday "There is still no word at this stage on when this will be approved, but it is still something that we are working towards closely with the WA Police." :(
Empie
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Return to Western Australia gun laws