Importing a Gun Part

Questions about Federal gun laws covering all of Australia. Importing / exporting firearms and ammunition. Dealing with Australian Border Force, Customs etc.

Importing a Gun Part

Post by N.Field » 18 Mar 2018, 10:53 am

I am WA based and need a replacement trigger for a Martini Henry rifle that I can source from the UK.

Do I need to go through the B709A process?
N.Field
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Re: Importing a Gun Part

Post by Wombat » 18 Mar 2018, 11:41 am

Yes. https://www.homeaffairs.gov.au/busi/imp ... ccessories
You may be able to source one locally though.
Wombat
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Wombat » 18 Mar 2018, 11:42 am

Was the breech block at fault with yours? I just noticed someone in WA has posted a "wanted" ad for one.
Wombat
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by N.Field » 18 Mar 2018, 11:44 am

Thanks for the clarification Wombat.

I have been trying locally without success to date.
N.Field
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Wombat » 18 Mar 2018, 11:49 am

There's a guy on another Australian forum based in Qld that has a massive amount of Martinis. Bad Ass Wallace is his username -might be worth chasing him up.
Wombat
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by N.Field » 18 Mar 2018, 12:00 pm

Wombat wrote:Was the breech block at fault with yours? I just noticed someone in WA has posted a "wanted" ad for one.

Yes, I have located one locally (subject to seeing photos) and may also be able to come up with the trigger. Just wanted to be sure of the process.
N.Field
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by juststarting » 18 Mar 2018, 3:04 pm

N.Field wrote:I am WA based and need a replacement trigger for a Martini Henry rifle that I can source from the UK.

If you're talking just the trigger, then I doubt you need any forms. MH 577-450 doesn't need to be registered, so if it's for that (not 303), then it's not a gun as far as the law is concerned.
---
https://reloadingstudio.com
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by N.Field » 18 Mar 2018, 5:05 pm

juststarting wrote:
N.Field wrote:I am WA based and need a replacement trigger for a Martini Henry rifle that I can source from the UK.

If you're talking just the trigger, then I doubt you need any forms. MH 577-450 doesn't need to be registered, so if it's for that (not 303), then it's not a gun as far as the law is concerned.

That may apply in some other states but not in WA.
N.Field
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by juststarting » 18 Mar 2018, 5:31 pm

Uh yes, WA... I'm reading about it and thinking this is a horror show.
---
https://reloadingstudio.com
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by N.Field » 18 Mar 2018, 6:07 pm

juststarting wrote:Uh yes, WA... I'm reading about it and thinking this is a horror show.

Yep :roll: !!
N.Field
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by duncan61 » 18 Mar 2018, 6:28 pm

Can you not get one made at an engineering shop.Its a piece of metal
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by Daddybang » 18 Mar 2018, 6:34 pm

duncan61 wrote:Can you not get one made at an engineering shop.Its a piece of metal

Yes Until it's manufactured into a firearm part then it becomes subject to the firearms act 1973 and the firearms regulations 1974 that wa operates under. :drinks:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by N.Field » 18 Mar 2018, 7:11 pm

duncan61 wrote:Can you not get one made at an engineering shop.Its a piece of metal

You're right and a pretty straight forward piece of work. I have already taken this up with a friend in that game who may be able to do it . . . just waiting for a reply.
N.Field
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by duncan61 » 18 Mar 2018, 11:40 pm

If your mate fails you I would like to make it for you.I had a Greener falling block shotgun and am interested in .310 Cadet and 450 boxer.Dont worry about Daddybang he rides me on everything not quite sure why things bother him
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by Wombat » 19 Mar 2018, 1:53 am

juststarting wrote:

It is customs though, I doubt they would look at what it fits if the sender describes it as a trigger.

Firearms parts, whether or not complete, damaged, temporarily or permanently inoperable or unfinished, include:
a trigger mechanism.
Wombat
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Daddybang » 19 Mar 2018, 7:22 am

duncan61 wrote:If your mate fails you I would like to make it for you.I had a Greener falling block shotgun and am interested in .310 Cadet and 450 boxer.Dont worry about Daddybang he rides me on everything not quite sure why things bother him

I don't ride ya on every thing im trying to get ya to wake up to the laws that surround firearms in ya state. Laws that someone with your stated experience should know about.
Now if the op can't import the trigger without a. B709 then its a firearm part and as far as I know manufacturing a firearm part without the proper certification/ license is illegal (happy to be corrected) . :crazy:

Ps look at the info provided by wombat in the link he's provided above it lists triggers as a firearm part . :drinks:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by marksman » 19 Mar 2018, 7:49 am

Daddybang wrote:
duncan61 wrote:If your mate fails you I would like to make it for you.I had a Greener falling block shotgun and am interested in .310 Cadet and 450 boxer.Dont worry about Daddybang he rides me on everything not quite sure why things bother him

I don't ride ya on every thing im trying to get ya to wake up to the laws that surround firearms in ya state. Laws that someone with your stated experience should know about.
Now if the op can't import the trigger without a. B709 then its a firearm part and as far as I know manufacturing a firearm part without the proper certification/ license is illegal (happy to be corrected) . :crazy:

Ps look at the info provided by wombat in the link he's provided above it lists triggers as a firearm part . :drinks:

very good advice :thumbsup:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by N.Field » 19 Mar 2018, 10:56 am

Thanks for the offer, it's much appreciated.
N.Field
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Wombat » 21 Mar 2018, 7:01 pm

Central Vic Bangsticks has a 303 action for sale at the moment. You might be able to get them to remove the parts you want so you dont need a PTA. Saw it on their facebook page.
Wombat
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by N.Field » 22 Mar 2018, 7:59 am

Thanks Wombat.
N.Field
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Wombat » 22 Mar 2018, 6:49 pm

No worries. If you come across a decent Martini Enfield barrel ( 303 carbine or rifle ) you dont need I'd like a heads up :thumbsup: Mine has more pits than a barrel of olives.
Wombat
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by N.Field » 23 Mar 2018, 12:52 pm

Wombat wrote:No worries. If you come across a decent Martini Enfield barrel ( 303 carbine or rifle ) you dont need I'd like a heads up :thumbsup: Mine has more pits than a barrel of olives.

Okay, will do.
N.Field
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Return to National gun laws - Australian Federal gun laws