Pistol Safe Storage Question - Victoria

Questions about Victorian gun and ammunition laws. Victorian Firearms Act 1996.

Pistol Safe Storage Question - Victoria

Post by Justin9mm » 13 Apr 2018, 10:16 am

Hi All,

Sorry if this may be a silly question but don't want to get caught out if I have a police inspection.

I have a Spika SFABH model safe and it is rated for Cat H being it also has a separate top compartment with I believe 6mm thick steel all round as I think this may be a requirement in some other states.

Reading the VIC Storage requirements there is no mention under Cat H storage requirements that you need to store it in something requiring any minimum of thickness and the only thing I can see as a requirement is that the safe must not be easily penetrable.

My question is, it it okay to keep a pistol in the main safe compartment with the rest of my rifles and use the separate lockable top compartment just for ammo?
Justin9mm
Private
Private

Victoria

Re: Pistol Safe Storage Question - Victoria

Post by Metalmik84 » 13 Apr 2018, 1:47 pm

I just completed the safety course at my local handgun club and was told that whilst it was technically ok their experience was that the police frowned upon it during inspections.
Metalmik84
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by SHANAKATAK » 13 Apr 2018, 1:59 pm

Legally, it's the same wording as cat A/B in VIC. The only difference being:

(2A) The key to the container in which the firearm is
stored must—
(a) be carried by the holder of the licence; or
(b) be kept securely in a separate room from the
container—
when the container is not being accessed.

From my experience, you will likely get dissaproval during safe inspections. Whether this makes a difference to you or not is your decision. If it has the pistol compartment, use it. Save the pain of being put on the list.
SHANAKATAK
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Justin9mm » 13 Apr 2018, 2:16 pm

SHANAKATAK wrote:Legally, it's the same wording as cat A/B in VIC. The only difference being:

(2A) The key to the container in which the firearm is
stored must—
(a) be carried by the holder of the licence; or
(b) be kept securely in a separate room from the
container—
when the container is not being accessed.

From my experience, you will likely get dissaproval during safe inspections. Whether this makes a difference to you or not is your decision. If it has the pistol compartment, use it. Save the pain of being put on the list.

This is what I suspected but they should make it more clear.

Interestingly.. When I was originally purchasing my safe last year, I rang my local DFO to ask him about safe options, at the time I also wasn't sure whether I could keep it in my locked garage to which he replied I don't see why not!? Then proceeded to tell me that I should buy the biggest safe money can buy because I'm going to want more guns because it's an addiction. LOL

I'm hoping he is the one that will inspect me, I'll keep them in the compartment and when/if they inspect me I'll judge the situation and ask the question.

I'm in a rental and my safe is not bolted down in the garage, it is rated 152kg when empty so just meets requirements but I'm not allowed to bolt anything and looking to move soon anyway. This might also be frowned upon but I'm still within the rules.
Justin9mm
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by Metalmik84 » 13 Apr 2018, 2:35 pm

I'm in a rental and my safe is not bolted down in the garage, it is rated 152kg when empty so just meets requirements but I'm not allowed to bolt anything and looking to move soon anyway. This might also be frowned upon but I'm still within the rules.

The guys who delivered my course we're also saying that they were in the process of changing h category to 180Kg if not bolted down... I can't find anything to confirm this though.
Metalmik84
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Justin9mm » 13 Apr 2018, 2:47 pm

Metalmik84 wrote:

The guys who delivered my course we're also saying that they were in the process of changing h category to 180Kg if not bolted down... I can't find anything to confirm this though.

Yeah I'm not sure I believe that though, this has never been mentioned with the new NFA and proposed changes they want to pass.
Justin9mm
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by cflake » 13 Apr 2018, 3:50 pm

Justin9mm wrote:I'm in a rental and my safe is not bolted down in the garage, it is rated 152kg when empty so just meets requirements but I'm not allowed to bolt anything and looking to move soon anyway. This might also be frowned upon but I'm still within the rules.

I'm also in a rental and have the same safe. The safe is in the garage and not bolted down. Pistols are in the pistol/ammo compartment, rifles in the main compartment and ammo is in a 3 drawer metal filing cabinet in my bedroom. The compartment in that safe isn't large enough for ammo anyway.

Inspection went fine.
cflake
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Justin9mm » 13 Apr 2018, 4:06 pm

cflake wrote:
Justin9mm wrote:I'm in a rental and my safe is not bolted down in the garage, it is rated 152kg when empty so just meets requirements but I'm not allowed to bolt anything and looking to move soon anyway. This might also be frowned upon but I'm still within the rules.

I'm also in a rental and have the same safe. The safe is in the garage and not bolted down. Pistols are in the pistol/ammo compartment, rifles in the main compartment and ammo is in a 3 drawer metal filing cabinet in my bedroom. The compartment in that safe isn't large enough for ammo anyway.

Inspection went fine.

That's very helpful info, thanks cflake!

That's how it is/intended at the moment anyway, my ammo is in an ammo can in my wardrobe in my bedroom which is locked by a combo padlock and safe keys for pistol compartment/safe are in there.
Justin9mm
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by doc » 16 Apr 2018, 3:33 pm

It's within the rules. I'd be tempted to whack some lead in the bottom or something else rather heavy to make it much more difficult to relocate (without opening the doors and removing said wait first). It won't increase the 'legal' weight of the safe - but sure will increase the 'real' weight of the safe if someone decides to come in and try and move it. :-)
doc
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

-

Return to Victorian gun laws