WA Appearance Regs Changing??

Questions about Western Australian gun and ammunition laws. W.A. Firearms Act 1973.

Re: WA Appearance Regs Changing??

Post by DanKalevi » 19 May 2018, 11:20 pm

so if the gun must represent a cat B firearm, then the Desert Tech SRS, does not look like any other cat B firearm.. if i was to get the barrel shroud machined so that the top is open, then logic would dictate this firearm would be ok to licence? i would love to buy one of these in 300wm with a 6.5 barrel and bolt, so i dont have to have two different rifle, but gave up on the dream after looking into our licencing a little more. Anyone know if this could be achievable?
DanKalevi
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by knowsnothin » 20 May 2018, 8:45 pm

Get a switch barrel blaser. Similar budget. Similar performance. Tacticool receivers. No problems with BS appearance laws.
knowsnothin
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by ponkychonk » 21 May 2018, 1:09 pm

DanKalevi wrote:so if the gun must represent a cat B firearm, then the Desert Tech SRS, does not look like any other cat B firearm.. if i was to get the barrel shroud machined so that the top is open, then logic would dictate this firearm would be ok to licence? i would love to buy one of these in 300wm with a 6.5 barrel and bolt, so i dont have to have two different rifle, but gave up on the dream after looking into our licencing a little more. Anyone know if this could be achievable?

Guy at my gunshop just did this. Had the shroud machined at the top and had no issues with licensing it.
ponkychonk
Private
Private

Other

Post by DanKalevi » 20 Jun 2019, 12:26 pm

ponkychonk wrote:Hi,

I've had extensive correspondance with both WAPOL and local gun shops. I also had a chat with the guys who wrote the WALRC report re: firearms law reform (I'm a lawyer myself and have helped with WALRC reports before)

Basically, the *current* (and I stress current, they can change it when or however they please) the only two things they will actively reject a firearm for under the military appearance rule is:

- a folding stock

OR

- a complete barrel shroud that fully encloses the barrel

However, since the WALRC report, which basically said the entire military appearance law was nonsensical, WAPOL have been *supposedly* changing their interpretation of the rule to the QLD-style, "it must resemble a *specific* military firearm." Which basically would mean the rule would be relaxed and guns like the Warwick straight pull rifles would be fine.

Finally, whilst the guns themselves won't be licensed, you can just buy a chassis (which aren't themselves licensed) which has a full barrel shroud forend and stick that on your rifle. Be careful though, wouldn't want a cop rocking up to do a compliance check if you had one of those in the safe.

Also, I'm new here, so hi

I am understanding correctly that they can deny an application based on the full shroud. Now IF i was to buy an MDT chassis that had a complete shroud, and a member of WAPOL came to my house to do an inspection, wouldn't he have to state the exact piece of legislation that i have not complied with? As far as i have read so far no exact thing exists, so he would not really have any legal right to confiscate the firearm. However i am guessing that if the Commissioner came to my house personally he could probably do that? Even having said that it only gives him the right to deny an application, as far as the law is concerned my application was successful and the chassis and barrel shroud purchased legally, so i cant see how they really could take any further action legally? Someone please correct me if my thoughts are off
DanKalevi
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by TassieTiger » 20 Jun 2019, 7:20 pm

When the cops pull you up for speeding and to subsequently confiscate your car, they do not tell you which part of the transport act you have breached - they tell you that you have broken the law and feel free to argue your side in court...why would it be any different with a firearms inspection that’s gone wrong?
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by DanKalevi » 22 Jun 2019, 9:23 pm

Well no i guess that is a bit different because there is actually comprehendible legislation that states the laws on speeding. If a cop comes to your house and says that you are being arrested, he will inform you of the crime that you are suspecting of committing, they wont just state you are under arrest for no reason. Now if a cop decided to take my guns under suspicion of non-compliance, i would probably just let him and argue it in court, however for the sake of a thought experiment i was just asking the question if it is lawful for them to do so. Also i want to be clear that i have no desire to try and skirt around the law and get a full shroud, i don't want that kind of attention. I am just wanting clarity on the laws and what they actually mean, as is everyone else i'm sure.
DanKalevi
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Return to Western Australia gun laws