low power rifles

Questions about Victorian gun and ammunition laws. Victorian Firearms Act 1996.

Re: low power rifles

Post by bladeracer » 30 Apr 2018, 3:27 pm

bigpete wrote:Geez if you can't hit a can at 50m with a modern compound after a couple of months practice you're not doing something right lol.
But true,a bow is a close range weapon that is definity and obviously underestimated

I'm more likely not doing anything right :-)
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigpete » 30 Apr 2018, 3:30 pm

Lol.
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Bent Arrow » 30 Apr 2018, 9:05 pm

Go do the work and get your A/B licence. But, you should know that a well tuned modern compound bow will put arrows through the the same hole at 50m. The accuracy limitation on a properly set up bow is not the bow, it's you. I've shot heaps of bunnies with my bows, it just takes some practice, and some basic hunting skills to get within range
Bent Arrow
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

South Australia

Post by bladeracer » 30 Apr 2018, 9:23 pm

Bent Arrow wrote:Go do the work and get your A/B licence. But, you should know that a well tuned modern compound bow will put arrows through the the same hole at 50m. The accuracy limitation on a properly set up bow is not the bow, it's you. I've shot heaps of bunnies with my bows, it just takes some practice, and some basic hunting skills to get within range

I know bows can be accurate if you dedicate yourself to them.
It's far more difficult to shoot a bow accurately than a rifle though.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by AusTac » 30 Apr 2018, 9:43 pm

I've shot more living things with a bow than i have rifle, they can be deadly accurate within 100m and can pack a punch with a broadhead definitely worth it if you have a rabbit problem nailed alot of rabbits with my bow none with my rifle so far mostly due to land access noise, ballistics ( an arrow only goes so far as does a bullet but the distances are much shorter ) i've always been a hoyt guy
Certified part time hillbilly
AusTac
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by Oldbloke » 30 Apr 2018, 9:47 pm

bladeracer wrote:No clubs required down here. Just get an "Expression of Interest in Hunting Pest Animals on Crown Land" from Parks Vic or whatever they're calling themselves this year. Costs $14 or so. For the "Target" part of Genuine Reason you might need to be SSAA member?

Um, why would you bother?, As I see it you just need hunting. ....then just go to a range if you want. Or am I missing something here?
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by airpowered » 30 Apr 2018, 10:03 pm

thanks again to everyones replies, i will look into the cat ab license, it sucks a bit tho that i need to go through all that stuff just to have a small caliber rifle to take out a few rabbits on a bush property, alot has changed over the years i guess, i used to have a beautiful horton 35th anniversary crossbow with a scooe that would have been perfect for the job, but sadly i got rid of it many years ago now, it was legal to buy back then.
airpowered
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Bent Arrow » 30 Apr 2018, 10:15 pm

bladeracer wrote:
Bent Arrow wrote:Go do the work and get your A/B licence. But, you should know that a well tuned modern compound bow will put arrows through the the same hole at 50m. The accuracy limitation on a properly set up bow is not the bow, it's you. I've shot heaps of bunnies with my bows, it just takes some practice, and some basic hunting skills to get within range

I know bows can be accurate if you dedicate yourself to them.
It's far more difficult to shoot a bow accurately than a rifle though.

Yep, no argument there, but it's a relative thing. Using a stable rest, most people can shoot a scoped 22 lr reasonably well with little if any practice. Take the scope off, and ask them to shoot off hand, and watch their ability to shoot respectable groups (without some serious/regular practice and coaching) crumble away. Look at metallic silhouette as an example here......... Practice with a bow or rifle and you will get there.
Bent Arrow
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

South Australia

Post by bladeracer » 30 Apr 2018, 11:48 pm

Oldbloke wrote:
bladeracer wrote:No clubs required down here. Just get an "Expression of Interest in Hunting Pest Animals on Crown Land" from Parks Vic or whatever they're calling themselves this year. Costs $14 or so. For the "Target" part of Genuine Reason you might need to be SSAA member?

Um, why would you bother?, As I see it you just need hunting. ....then just go to a range if you want. Or am I missing something here?

I really don't recall, but it was discussed here some time ago. Maybe you can't enter competitions without it?
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Return to Victorian gun laws