low power rifles

Questions about Victorian gun and ammunition laws. Victorian Firearms Act 1996.

low power rifles

Post by airpowered » 29 Apr 2018, 9:22 pm

hello im from victoria and i was just wondering if there is any type of rifle like an air rifle or something that doesnt require a license, i just wanted something to use on my friends property, i know you need a license for all cartridge type weapons and high powered air rifles but i thought maybe there are some low power air rifles that dont require one?
im pretty sure i know the answer but i just wanted to double check thanks
airpowered
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Re: low power rifles

Post by No1Mk3 » 30 Apr 2018, 11:31 am

You are correct in your estimate of the answer. ALL air rifles need a license, even paintball for private purchase. Hell, even airsoft is restricted! Nana does not approve of fun or common sense.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Supaduke » 30 Apr 2018, 11:38 am

Slingshot...

Or a bow , as it stands no licence required for bows.
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by Daddybang » 30 Apr 2018, 11:39 am

Ya might want to look at a bow..not crossbows though!!! :drinks:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by bigpete » 30 Apr 2018, 11:41 am

Get a bow. With all the crap you can put in them these days they're almost like shooting a rifle anyway,and definitely do not discount the effectiveness and lethality of one. Just do us all a favour if you buy one and get it from an archery shop,get some training,and don't go shooting f***ing native animals or pets with it. In short,use your brains.
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Member-Deleted » 30 Apr 2018, 11:48 am

Geez airpowered I think even a shangi ( sling shot) is classed as a weapon here in Qld
I doubt there is any air gun not requiring a licence
Member-Deleted

Post by Daddybang » 30 Apr 2018, 11:53 am

grandadbushy wrote:Geez airpowered I think even a shangi ( sling shot) is classed as a weapon here in Qld
I doubt there is any air gun not requiring a licence

Slingshots are legal without license up here :thumbsup: :drinks:
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Member-Deleted » 30 Apr 2018, 12:10 pm

Yeah wasn't sure mate just that kids up the road got theirs taken from them by cops but I think there was more to it than meets
the eye
Member-Deleted

Post by Daddybang » 30 Apr 2018, 12:20 pm

Yeah mate probably up to no good withem!
I use mine on my dogs if they hassle the cows or on my cows if they're eating my trees!!! :lol: :drinks:
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Stix » 30 Apr 2018, 12:30 pm

Daddybang wrote:I use mine on my dogs if they hassle the cows or on my cows if they're eating my trees!!! :lol: :drinks:

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Poor cows...
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by southwest shooter » 30 Apr 2018, 12:42 pm

Use a rock .
southwest shooter
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Angel » 30 Apr 2018, 12:43 pm

Not even the humble bb gun is exempt. Sorry mate.
Angel
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 30 Apr 2018, 12:52 pm

airpowered wrote:hello im from victoria and i was just wondering if there is any type of rifle like an air rifle or something that doesnt require a license, i just wanted something to use on my friends property, i know you need a license for all cartridge type weapons and high powered air rifles but i thought maybe there are some low power air rifles that dont require one?
im pretty sure i know the answer but i just wanted to double check thanks

By "use on my friend's property" do you mean hunting, pest control or just for kicks?
In Victoria you can't even handle a firearm, not even air rifles, without a licence, not even with a licenced shooter supervising you - unless you go to an approved range. You can't even make something out of wood that looks like a rifle to frighten crows off, Victoria Police consider that to be a firearm as well.

Just get yourself a licence and join in the fun, and get your friend to get their licence as well, then you can shoot together.

As mentioned, a compound bow is about the only thing I can think of that is completely unrestricted, but sorely lacking in range and accuracy over even air rifles. They also have a pretty steep learning curve. Even a complete novice shooter can lay behind a .22LR rifle and be consistently shooting Coke cans at 50m within just a few shots. I doubt I could _ever_ hit a Coke can at 50m with the bow. And I certainly would've lost all my arrows before then :-)
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by airpowered » 30 Apr 2018, 2:25 pm

hey all thanks for your replies, yes my friend lives on a bush property and has a rabbit problem so just for occasional pest control and probably shooting at a target there to get my aim up to par, but for the ammount of times i would use it i didnt think going the full license path would have been worth it. A bow would be a good idea but accuracy trying to shoot rabbits would be a problem im guessing. But i guess getting a license and getting in on the fun and going to shooting ranges would be fun and i think i could get into that. What would be the easiest license to obtain for what i would need it for?
airpowered
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 30 Apr 2018, 2:34 pm

airpowered wrote:hey all thanks for your replies, yes my friend lives on a bush property and has a rabbit problem so just for occasional pest control and probably shooting at a target there to get my aim up to par, but for the ammount of times i would use it i didnt think going the full license path would have been worth it. A bow would be a good idea but accuracy trying to shoot rabbits would be a problem im guessing. But i guess getting a license and getting in on the fun and going to shooting ranges would be fun and i think i could get into that. What would be the easiest license to obtain for what i would need it for?

Apply for a "Cat A/B" licence and for "hunting and target" use. This is the most basic level of licence and 99% of rifle shooters here only need Cat A/B. It covers rifles and shotguns from air-rifles and "22's" right through to bolt/lever/pump-action centre-fire rifles and lever-action 12ga shotguns.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Angel » 30 Apr 2018, 2:45 pm

Def cat A/B. Tis the 3asiest one. Im not sure about club affiliations etc. But up here in QLD i needed to be a member of the SSAA (or other like organisation) as my genuine reason as i dont have a property or access to one personally. Im sure other VIC forum members can give u info for your state.
Angel
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by bigpete » 30 Apr 2018, 3:02 pm

Geez if you can't hit a can at 50m with a modern compound after a couple of months practice you're not doing something right lol.
But true,a bow is a close range weapon that is definity and obviously underestimated
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bladeracer » 30 Apr 2018, 3:22 pm

Angel wrote:Def cat A/B. Tis the 3asiest one. Im not sure about club affiliations etc. But up here in QLD i needed to be a member of the SSAA (or other like organisation) as my genuine reason as i dont have a property or access to one personally. Im sure other VIC forum members can give u info for your state.

No clubs required down here. Just get an "Expression of Interest in Hunting Pest Animals on Crown Land" from Parks Vic or whatever they're calling themselves this year. Costs $14 or so. For the "Target" part of Genuine Reason you might need to be SSAA member?
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 30 Apr 2018, 3:27 pm

bigpete wrote:Geez if you can't hit a can at 50m with a modern compound after a couple of months practice you're not doing something right lol.
But true,a bow is a close range weapon that is definity and obviously underestimated

I'm more likely not doing anything right :-)
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigpete » 30 Apr 2018, 3:30 pm

Lol.
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Bent Arrow » 30 Apr 2018, 9:05 pm

Go do the work and get your A/B licence. But, you should know that a well tuned modern compound bow will put arrows through the the same hole at 50m. The accuracy limitation on a properly set up bow is not the bow, it's you. I've shot heaps of bunnies with my bows, it just takes some practice, and some basic hunting skills to get within range
Bent Arrow
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

South Australia

Post by bladeracer » 30 Apr 2018, 9:23 pm

Bent Arrow wrote:Go do the work and get your A/B licence. But, you should know that a well tuned modern compound bow will put arrows through the the same hole at 50m. The accuracy limitation on a properly set up bow is not the bow, it's you. I've shot heaps of bunnies with my bows, it just takes some practice, and some basic hunting skills to get within range

I know bows can be accurate if you dedicate yourself to them.
It's far more difficult to shoot a bow accurately than a rifle though.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by AusTac » 30 Apr 2018, 9:43 pm

I've shot more living things with a bow than i have rifle, they can be deadly accurate within 100m and can pack a punch with a broadhead definitely worth it if you have a rabbit problem nailed alot of rabbits with my bow none with my rifle so far mostly due to land access noise, ballistics ( an arrow only goes so far as does a bullet but the distances are much shorter ) i've always been a hoyt guy
Certified part time hillbilly
AusTac
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by Oldbloke » 30 Apr 2018, 9:47 pm

bladeracer wrote:No clubs required down here. Just get an "Expression of Interest in Hunting Pest Animals on Crown Land" from Parks Vic or whatever they're calling themselves this year. Costs $14 or so. For the "Target" part of Genuine Reason you might need to be SSAA member?

Um, why would you bother?, As I see it you just need hunting. ....then just go to a range if you want. Or am I missing something here?
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by airpowered » 30 Apr 2018, 10:03 pm

thanks again to everyones replies, i will look into the cat ab license, it sucks a bit tho that i need to go through all that stuff just to have a small caliber rifle to take out a few rabbits on a bush property, alot has changed over the years i guess, i used to have a beautiful horton 35th anniversary crossbow with a scooe that would have been perfect for the job, but sadly i got rid of it many years ago now, it was legal to buy back then.
airpowered
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Bent Arrow » 30 Apr 2018, 10:15 pm

bladeracer wrote:
Bent Arrow wrote:Go do the work and get your A/B licence. But, you should know that a well tuned modern compound bow will put arrows through the the same hole at 50m. The accuracy limitation on a properly set up bow is not the bow, it's you. I've shot heaps of bunnies with my bows, it just takes some practice, and some basic hunting skills to get within range

I know bows can be accurate if you dedicate yourself to them.
It's far more difficult to shoot a bow accurately than a rifle though.

Yep, no argument there, but it's a relative thing. Using a stable rest, most people can shoot a scoped 22 lr reasonably well with little if any practice. Take the scope off, and ask them to shoot off hand, and watch their ability to shoot respectable groups (without some serious/regular practice and coaching) crumble away. Look at metallic silhouette as an example here......... Practice with a bow or rifle and you will get there.
Bent Arrow
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

South Australia

Post by bladeracer » 30 Apr 2018, 11:48 pm

Oldbloke wrote:
bladeracer wrote:No clubs required down here. Just get an "Expression of Interest in Hunting Pest Animals on Crown Land" from Parks Vic or whatever they're calling themselves this year. Costs $14 or so. For the "Target" part of Genuine Reason you might need to be SSAA member?

Um, why would you bother?, As I see it you just need hunting. ....then just go to a range if you want. Or am I missing something here?

I really don't recall, but it was discussed here some time ago. Maybe you can't enter competitions without it?
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Return to Victorian gun laws