NSW licence add a category

Questions about New South Wales gun and ammunition laws. NSW Firearms Act 1996.

NSW licence add a category

Post by aimz » 08 May 2018, 4:33 pm

hi, when i applied for my license i rushed into it as i was inheriting some cat a firearms and as they had been at the police station for a while there were going to destroy them.

anyway, i joined a clay target club and they also have a hunting club. told me to choose cat a target and a/b hunting.

it was fine at the time, but now i actually am getting into shooting id like to own a cat b rifle (or two...) and id like to eventually go to the range with them.

is an ssaa membership enough to chance from cat a target to a-b target?
aimz
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Re: NSW licence add a category

Post by Angel » 08 May 2018, 5:13 pm

In QLD it is, Not sure about NSW.
Angel
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by brett1868 » 08 May 2018, 6:03 pm

NSW - Not too difficult at all providing the training course you did covered both Cat A & B. Refer to link below for further info :)

http://www.police.nsw.gov.au/online_services/firearms/licences/frequently_asked_questions#gr4
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Archie » 08 May 2018, 6:29 pm

What Brett said plus yes SSAA membership will cover the club requirement for Cat B.

Just be aware though that if your licence has both target and hunting on it, you have to do the range attendance requirements for both categories. From memory that means you'll need 4 visits for the target and 2 for the hunting, so 6 total.
Archie
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 08 May 2018, 6:55 pm

Archie wrote:What Brett said plus yes SSAA membership will cover the club requirement for Cat B.

Just be aware though that if your licence has both target and hunting on it, you have to do the range attendance requirements for both categories. From memory that means you'll need 4 visits for the target and 2 for the hunting, so 6 total.

In NSW you are required to attend a range even if you only have Hunting as your genuine reason?
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Archie » 08 May 2018, 7:11 pm

bladeracer wrote:
Archie wrote:What Brett said plus yes SSAA membership will cover the club requirement for Cat B.

In NSW you are required to attend a range even if you only have Hunting as your genuine reason?

It depends on what you listed as your proof of reason.

So say you listed "hunting", you can then justify that because, you own rural land, you have written permission to shoot on rural land, or you are a member of a hunting club. SSAA counts for the last one. If you use a club as your reason, you need to attend two club events a year, which will involve either hunting, shooting or firearm safety. Which in practice means most people go to the range because that counts. If you use the other justifications you don't have to attend a range.
Archie
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 08 May 2018, 7:23 pm

Archie wrote:
bladeracer wrote:

It depends on what you listed as your proof of reason.

So say you listed "hunting", you can then justify that because, you own rural land, you have written permission to shoot on rural land, or you are a member of a hunting club. SSAA counts for the last one. If you use a club as your reason, you need to attend two club events a year, which will involve either hunting, shooting or firearm safety. Which in practice means most people go to the range because that counts. If you use the other justifications you don't have to attend a range.

Cool, I thought it was a bit out there :-)
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by duncan61 » 08 May 2018, 7:42 pm

Fortunately I obtained my firearm licence before you needed a reason and have no requirement to go to the range.But I go cos I love it
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by bladeracer » 08 May 2018, 9:51 pm

Archie wrote:Just be aware though that if your licence has both target and hunting on it, you have to do the range attendance requirements for both categories. From memory that means you'll need 4 visits for the target and 2 for the hunting, so 6 total.

But if you have Target as well as Hunting then you need to do the range attendances regardless - is that correct?
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by aimz » 09 May 2018, 5:38 am

thanks guys.

yeah i know about the attendances, i already do 4 target/2 hunting. just wanting to add cat b to target.
aimz
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Archie » 09 May 2018, 8:15 am

bladeracer wrote:
Archie wrote:Just be aware though that if your licence has both target and hunting on it, you have to do the range attendance requirements for both categories. From memory that means you'll need 4 visits for the target and 2 for the hunting, so 6 total.

But if you have Target as well as Hunting then you need to do the range attendances regardless - is that correct?

Yeah, but as aimz says, you have to do 4 for Target and they don't count towards your hunting quota, so that means if you have target and hunting, and the hunting is via club, you need to do the 4 for your target and the 2 for your hunting.

Some people do complain about it a bit, and to be honest I think 6 is a bit much - easy if you live within decent drive to a range but can be hard to do with family commitments etc if you don't plan ahead over the year or are a long way away. Personally though, I reckon if you are going to hunt animals and you don't shoot regularly on your own or someone else's property otherwise, turning up twice a year to make sure you know your equipment and you can put a bullet where it needs to go, isn't too much to ask.
Archie
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by aimz » 10 May 2018, 3:00 pm

so its all a bit confusing. called the SSAA to check.

my clay target club covers me for cat a targets (4 attendances), hunting club covers me for cat a-b hunting (2 attendances).

my SSAA card says Activity 0 as the they arnt my principal club.

so that for me was where the confusion was, i wasnt sure i could use my SSAA membership as part of my genuine reason to add category B to my target shooting, and after 20 mins on the phone they arnt really sure either. one minute i have to use them as my primary and submit all my outside club receipts to them which will then be sent off to the firearms registry. but now ive talked to another person and they say to just photocopy my current card, send that off with the forms i receive from the registry and that will be enough to add cat b to the license.

i have a headache. im sure to most/all of you this isnt a problem and you understand it all.
aimz
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by brett1868 » 10 May 2018, 9:14 pm

Hunting attendances can also be done by getting your R license from the DPI, book 2 hunts a year and you're done.
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by aimz » 27 Aug 2018, 5:30 pm

sorry to bump an old thread, but for anyone interested i have only just now received a letter from the firearms registry (thankfully saying yes)

that was a wait and a half. hahaha.
aimz
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Return to New South Wales gun laws