PTA's gone missing.

Questions about New South Wales gun and ammunition laws. NSW Firearms Act 1996.

PTA's gone missing.

Post by Diddums » 11 May 2018, 11:09 am

Warning, incoming rant.

Well I sent in my 3 permits weeks ago, they were processed and then the 28 day waiting period started.
To my surprise they we issued after exactly 28 days, which ended up been the 24th of March, the day before Anzac day.
I then eagerly waited for them to come in the mail and when they weren't here within a week I checked the website again.
The issue date had been changed from the 24th to the 26th, which I figured was because of the public holiday so no big deal.
Until yesterday (10 working days from issue) rolled around and still no permits.
I rang up the registry and the lady I spoke to seemed surprised that I hadn't received them yet as well.
I asked her if she could resend them and she said that they can't. I have to wait 4 weeks first and then send them a signed stat dec to say that I hadn't received and or used the permits and they will re-issue them.

So now I'm about to have 2 new rifles to pickup but won't be able to as my permits aren't here.

Now I'm deciding whether I should send in a couple more permits as I'm likely to see them before the others get re-issued.
I've heard a lot of horror stories about the firearms registry and up until now everything has gone really smooth.

I'm hoping that they will turn up in the next couple of day, but not happy Jan.

End rant.
Diddums
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Re: PTA's gone missing.

Post by Bent Arrow » 11 May 2018, 2:00 pm

I had a similar thing happen. One staff member on the phone line told me I had to resubmit my PTA. They can't reissue it because it's a paper form and they don't keep a copy of the form. I rang back later and got someone else who said that because she could see on the system that it had been approved, if I brought a new completed form in to their office and all the details matched she would sign it for me. She was good for her word, problem solved in minutes rather than weeks. Give them another call. I have found some to be very helpful, others not so much
Bent Arrow
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

South Australia

Post by Diddums » 11 May 2018, 2:29 pm

I rang them again today and got told the same thing as the last person.

Did your original permits ever turn up?

Another funny thing was i asked her why the date was changed from the 24th to the 26th and she said that as far as she can tell its always been the 26th.
She asked me if i looked at it properly, duh, and i said that i was checking it daily and it was issued on the 24th but when I checked it again it said the 26th and she didn't want to comment on the matter.
Diddums
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Stix » 11 May 2018, 6:56 pm

Bent Arrow wrote:I had a similar thing happen. One staff member on the phone line told me I had to resubmit my PTA. They can't reissue it because it's a paper form and they don't keep a copy of the form. I rang back later and got someone else who said that because she could see on the system that it had been approved, if I brought a new completed form in to their office and all the details matched she would sign it for me. She was good for her word, problem solved in minutes rather than weeks. Give them another call. I have found some to be very helpful, others not so much

It certainly depends on who you get on the other end...!
How long ago was this experience you had BA...?
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Bent Arrow » 12 May 2018, 8:18 am

Original PTA turned up weeks later, must have been sucked into Aus Post vortex. Was only a couple of years ago
Bent Arrow
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

South Australia

Post by Diddums » 14 May 2018, 2:25 pm

Well the universe decided it would be funny to play a joke on me today.
Went to my PO box and opened it up and there was a thick letter sitting there.
I thought yes, this must be the permits,
But not, it was just a bill for $1600.

So another day gone without my permits arriving but I've sent away 2 more, so now it's a race to see which ones I get first.
Diddums
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Gaznazdiak » 14 May 2018, 3:13 pm

Diddums wrote:Well the universe decided it would be funny to play a joke on me today.

So another day gone without my permits arriving but I've sent away 2 more, so now it's a race to see which ones I get first.

As long as some pencilneck doesn't decide you're up to something by putting in so many :mrgreen:
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Diddums » 14 May 2018, 6:18 pm

Gaznazdiak wrote:
Diddums wrote:Well the universe decided it would be funny to play a joke on me today.

As long as some pencilneck doesn't decide you're up to something by putting in so many :mrgreen:

That though did cross my mind since I put in 2 centre fire and a rimfire all at the same time.
But surely if it was considered an issue there would be legislation about the timeframe when putting in PTA's.
Diddums
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Diddums » 16 May 2018, 12:49 pm

Well I can sleep easy now, my permits finally came today.

The envelope was marked the 29/4 so it's taken 2.5 weeks for it to get here which is ridiculous but at least they arrived.

Now just waiting for my rifle, should be tomorrow or Friday I'm hoping.
Diddums
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Gaznazdiak » 16 May 2018, 6:20 pm

Diddums wrote:Well I can sleep easy now, my permits finally came today.

The envelope was marked the 29/4 so it's taken 2.5 weeks for it to get here which is ridiculous but at least they arrived.

Now just waiting for my rifle, should be tomorrow or Friday I'm hoping.

Xmas in May. Cool. :clap:
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Return to New South Wales gun laws