W.A. tragedy

Questions about Western Australian gun and ammunition laws. W.A. Firearms Act 1973.

W.A. tragedy

Post by Member-Deleted » 11 May 2018, 2:54 pm

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-05-11/s ... de/9751482

Sincerest condolences to all those touched by this tragedy.

Watch it now be gleefully used as fodder to further a different agenda
Last edited by Member-Deleted on 12 May 2018, 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Member-Deleted

Re: Incoming!! W.A. mass shooting

Post by Justin9mm » 11 May 2018, 3:23 pm

Terrible Tragedy especially when it's children involved.

I feel this is going to fuel the gun debate for sure!
Justin9mm
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 11 May 2018, 6:17 pm

Apparently the Margaret River region has a bad drug problem, I wonder if this had anything to do with it.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Bigjobss » 11 May 2018, 8:25 pm

What a sad event, I hope the guilty are apprehended swiftly but I cant even begin to imagine what those close must be going through, truly heartbreaking.
Bigjobss

Post by Flyer » 11 May 2018, 8:34 pm

Murder suicide.
Last edited by Flyer on 13 May 2018, 2:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The laws of physics do not apply to politics.
Flyer
Corporal
Corporal

-

Post by Archie » 11 May 2018, 8:35 pm

Maybe lets reserve judgement - and not worry about any anti-gun agendas - until the facts become clearer. It hasn't turned into an anti-firearm spin yet, and we don't know any of the details. All anyone really knows yet is that its an awful event.

The clearest thing you can infer from the coverage so far is that its most likely a murder-suicide. There's about eight suicide deaths a day in Australia - thank god most don't go like this. The key risk group, is middle-aged males - i.e. a lot of us here. So if you're going to take one thing from this story, take that and worry about what crap the media will say about guns another day. I've lost more than one friend this way, as I'm sure many of us have, and it's more often than not the tough bastard who you always thought was mentally bulletproof. So if you've been wondering about a mate being a bit quieter than normal lately or going through some s**t, maybe give them a call or go for a beer. You might never know the difference it made.
Archie
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Daddybang » 11 May 2018, 8:36 pm

Bigjobss wrote:What a sad event, I hope the guilty are apprehended swiftly but I cant even begin to imagine what those close must be going through, truly heartbreaking.

Looks like the guilty is amongst the dead (murder/suicide)
Just a f@#kin tragedy. :cry:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Bigjobss » 11 May 2018, 9:21 pm

Those poor children.
If there is such a thing as Hell then it is reserved for this kind of person, my daughter is getting an extra big hug before bed tonight.
Bigjobss

Post by Member-Deleted » 11 May 2018, 9:21 pm

My condolences to all those kin that are touched by this :cry:
And for the deceased I hope their soles are at peace and may they rest in peace :cry: :cry:
Very sad day when lives are lost so early :cry:

Then I say to anybody who seeks to gain mileage from this sad, sad event I say shame on you
Member-Deleted

Post by Angel » 11 May 2018, 9:34 pm

Archie wrote:Maybe lets reserve judgement - and not worry about any anti-gun agendas - until the facts become clearer. It hasn't turned into an anti-firearm spin yet, and we don't know any of the details. All anyone really knows yet is that its an awful event.

The clearest thing you can infer from the coverage so far is that its most likely a murder-suicide. There's about eight suicide deaths a day in Australia - thank god most don't go like this. The key risk group, is middle-aged males - i.e. a lot of us here. So if you're going to take one thing from this story, take that and worry about what crap the media will say about guns another day. I've lost more than one friend this way, as I'm sure many of us have, and it's more often than not the tough bastard who you always thought was mentally bulletproof. So if you've been wondering about a mate being a bit quieter than normal lately or going through some s**t, maybe give them a call or go for a beer. You might never know the difference it made.

Amen Brother... Well said.
Angel
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Stix » 11 May 2018, 10:04 pm

Good on you Archie...!!!! :drinks:
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Member-Deleted » 11 May 2018, 10:53 pm

Archie wrote:Maybe lets reserve judgement - and not worry about any anti-gun agendas - until the facts become clearer. It hasn't turned into an anti-firearm spin yet, .

Perhaps I misunderstood what the reporter was driving at then when they wrote "Mass shooting expert Glynn Greensmith said these incidents have become incredibly rare in Australia.

"We have been lucky that all forms of gun-related deaths have reduced dramatically since we took that step of having less guns [following the gun bans in the wake of Port Arthur]," said Mr Greensmith, who is studying a PhD in mass shootings at Edith Cowan University.

"But there are as many guns now in Australia as there were at the time of the Port Arthur massacre."

I read that as the reporter inviting the inference that this may not have happened if only we still had "less guns".

In any case you're right not to worry about things that might never happen with the media and I also second what you said Archie. Tell your loved ones you love them, and check in with your mates and ask if they're OK.
Member-Deleted

Post by southeast varmiter » 11 May 2018, 11:10 pm

It’s fairly clear what’s happened. The media are just avoiding printing it.
Does not fit the narative.
southeast varmiter
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 12 May 2018, 5:23 am

southeast varmiter wrote:It’s fairly clear what’s happened. The media are just avoiding printing it.
Does not fit the narative.

Yeah they hate talking about murder suicide stuff, talking about suicides or reporting on them is some sort of no no, I guess they worry it might encourage others to take theirs or someone elses lives. :unknown:

On average 6 or 8 people a day I think it is, not a good statistic that's for sure - Nearly 2200 people a year going on the 6 per day figure, Yet they are happy to focus on the innanimate object that apparently has a mind of it's own and just apparently goes on a murderous shooting spree. :silent:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Yipikaye » 12 May 2018, 9:35 am

Any gun debate out of this incident is a missed opportunity to talk about domestic violence which kills a lot more Australians than guns.
- .303 British
- 12G
Yipikaye
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Gaznazdiak » 12 May 2018, 11:11 am

Yipikaye wrote:Any gun debate out of this incident is a missed opportunity to talk about domestic violence which kills a lot more Australians than guns.

That is the key to this horror story, family annihilators are a narrow spectrum of domestic violence perpetrators.

http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-23686913

I'm a little embarrassed to admit that after the initial sadness at the report, I too thought, "Cue the knee-jerk vultures, circling to use this as a chance to get their heads on the telly and persecute people who had no connection to the crime."

According to Australian police stats, they get a call to deal with domestic violence every 2 MINUTES.
WTF is going on in this country?
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by bullzeye » 12 May 2018, 11:40 am

RIP to the innocent victims involved.
bullzeye
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 12 May 2018, 1:36 pm

Yep unfortunately the stats on family violence are very grim in australia. I used to live in a country town in vic and off hand the coppers spent most of their time dealing with family violence issues.

Also can we not call it mass shooting... its murder/suicide... was gun this time but if no guns could have been any of a million other things.
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by Angel » 12 May 2018, 2:34 pm

Ziad wrote:Yep unfortunately the stats on family violence are very grim in australia. I used to live in a country town in vic and off hand the coppers spent most of their time dealing with family violence issues.

Also can we not call it mass shooting... its murder/suicide... was gun this time but if no guns could have been any of a million other things.

Exactly Ziad... Could have been a blade, a car, water.. anything. D.V. is the issue here... not the Gun.
Angel
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Re: W.A. tragedy

Post by Daddybang » 12 May 2018, 4:59 pm

Unfortunately it's looking like the grandfather has done it :cry:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by southeast varmiter » 12 May 2018, 5:45 pm

Daddybang wrote:Unfortunately it's looking like the grandfather has done it :cry:

So they tell us. Doesn’t add up.
southeast varmiter
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Angel » 12 May 2018, 6:15 pm

ABC just reporting he was licenced. Not that it matters. Damn tragedy.
Angel
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by MrMickyD » 12 May 2018, 8:33 pm

Archie wrote:Maybe lets reserve judgement - and not worry about any anti-gun agendas - until the facts become clearer. It hasn't turned into an anti-firearm spin yet, and we don't know any of the details. All anyone really knows yet is that its an awful event.

Thats really well said a lot of sense made here.
MrMickyD
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by trekin » 13 May 2018, 6:32 am

Ziad wrote:Yep unfortunately the stats on family violence are very grim in australia. I used to live in a country town in vic and off hand the coppers spent most of their time dealing with family violence issues.

Technically, it should be called a mass murder committed by an indivual using a firearm, who then suicided. It is what it is,
Noun
mass (countable and uncountable, plural masses)
1. (physical) Matter, material.
1. A quantity of matter cohering together so as to make one body, or an aggregation of particles or things which collectively make one body or quantity, usually of considerable size
2. (obsolete) Precious metal, especially gold or silver.
3. (physics) The quantity of matter which a body contains, irrespective of its bulk or volume. It is one of four fundamental properties of matter. It is measured in kilograms in the SI system of measurement.
4. (pharmacy) A medicinal substance made into a cohesive, homogeneous lump, of consistency suitable for making pills; as, blue mass.
5. (medicine) A palpable or visible abnormal globular structure; a tumor.
6. (bodybuilding) Excess body weight, especially in the form of muscle hypertrophy.
2. A large quantity; a sum.
3. (quantity) Large in number.
1. Bulk; magnitude; body; size.
2. The principal part; the main body.
3. A large body of individuals, especially persons.
The mass of spectators didn't see the infraction on the field.
A mass of ships converged on the beaches of Dunkirk.
4. (in the plural) The lower classes of persons.
The masses are revolting.

Mass + murder
Noun
mass murder (plural mass murders)
1. The killing of a large number of people over a short period of time.

Mass +‎ shooting
Noun
mass shooting (plural mass shootings)
1. (crime) The shooting of multiple people over a short period of time.

MASS shooting means the number of persons shot meets or excedes that as defined (in Australia, as defined by Alpers: 5 or more killed, excluding the killer), not their relationship to each other or the killer.
Sadly, the only people I have seen arguing that this should not be called a mass shooting, are solely from within our own ranks, LAFO's. Funnily enough though, these same LAFO who would deny this event as a mass shooting because of the relationship between the victims and the shooter, are quite happy to argue the stabbing of eight children by their mother in Cairns a couple of years ago, was a mass murder.
Call it whatever you like, it is what it is, a sad and tragic event, an event that shouldn't have happened, an event that our world class gun laws would not and could not have prevented, but it is still by definition a mass shooting.
Image Rifle stock and pistol grip reproduction.
"legally obligated to be a victim in this country"
I earned every grey hair I have.
trekin
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Heckler303 » 13 May 2018, 8:24 am

trekin wrote: it is what it is, a sad and tragic event, an event that shouldn't have happened, an event that our world class gun laws would not and could not have prevented

If 'World Class' means PC-Leftist Approved BS, then you're right on that.
If something doesn't work, apply rule .303!
Title_II wrote:If you carry a fun in Australia you will go to jail.
Heckler303
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Tasmania

Post by trekin » 13 May 2018, 9:12 am

Heckler303 wrote:
trekin wrote: it is what it is, a sad and tragic event, an event that shouldn't have happened, an event that our world class gun laws would not and could not have prevented

If 'World Class' means PC-Leftist Approved BS, then you're right on that.

I'm sure that goes without saying. But either way, the laws as they are written, could not and would not, have prevented this from happening.
Image Rifle stock and pistol grip reproduction.
"legally obligated to be a victim in this country"
I earned every grey hair I have.
trekin
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Member-Deleted » 13 May 2018, 10:20 am

Ok gents call it what you will , mass, multiple ,what ever but '' sad and tragic'' stand out louder wouldn't you think ?
Member-Deleted

Post by Homer » 13 May 2018, 11:25 am

G'Day Fella's,

Despite what all the Gun Grabbers have been telling the world, the draconian gun laws that were introduced in 1996 have not stopped massacres in Australia, with Gun or other devices.
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-05-11/s ... de/9751482

Further to this, as most people that were in touch with reality already knew, the draconian gun laws that were introduced in Australia in 1996, were not the reason we had not had a gun related massacre in Australia since then. This West Australian (W.A.) massacre, only and unfortunately confirms what we already knew.
We should now be holding all the Gun Grabbers responsible for this and any other criminal misuse of firearms, as they have been the ones that have been side tracking the authorities away from the real cause of these and other massacres......... Mental Health issues.

I assume because of the fact that these same draconian gun laws haven't stopped gun massacres from occurring in Australia, this has something to do with the complete lack of media coverage of this tragedy now (May 13 2018), by the mass media?
I've been listening to the radio this morning since 5am, and there has not been one news report about this W.A. gun massacre.
This is just the opposite tactics the Gun Grabbers use, when media Anti-Gun hysteria about gun massacres is of benefit to them.

RIP and FJWH!

D'oh!
Homer
Homer
Corporal
Corporal

Australian Capital Territory

Post by Member-Deleted » 13 May 2018, 5:18 pm

Fair bit of truth there Homer :thumbsup:
Member-Deleted

Post by bladeracer » 13 May 2018, 11:34 pm

Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Next

Return to Western Australia gun laws