W.A. tragedy

Questions about Western Australian gun and ammunition laws. W.A. Firearms Act 1973.

Re: Incoming!! W.A. mass shooting

Post by Angel » 12 May 2018, 2:34 pm

Ziad wrote:Yep unfortunately the stats on family violence are very grim in australia. I used to live in a country town in vic and off hand the coppers spent most of their time dealing with family violence issues.

Also can we not call it mass shooting... its murder/suicide... was gun this time but if no guns could have been any of a million other things.

Exactly Ziad... Could have been a blade, a car, water.. anything. D.V. is the issue here... not the Gun.
Angel
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Re: W.A. tragedy

Post by Daddybang » 12 May 2018, 4:59 pm

Unfortunately it's looking like the grandfather has done it :cry:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by southeast varmiter » 12 May 2018, 5:45 pm

Daddybang wrote:Unfortunately it's looking like the grandfather has done it :cry:

So they tell us. Doesn’t add up.
southeast varmiter
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Angel » 12 May 2018, 6:15 pm

ABC just reporting he was licenced. Not that it matters. Damn tragedy.
Angel
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by MrMickyD » 12 May 2018, 8:33 pm

Archie wrote:Maybe lets reserve judgement - and not worry about any anti-gun agendas - until the facts become clearer. It hasn't turned into an anti-firearm spin yet, and we don't know any of the details. All anyone really knows yet is that its an awful event.

The clearest thing you can infer from the coverage so far is that its most likely a murder-suicide. There's about eight suicide deaths a day in Australia - thank god most don't go like this. The key risk group, is middle-aged males - i.e. a lot of us here. So if you're going to take one thing from this story, take that and worry about what crap the media will say about guns another day. I've lost more than one friend this way, as I'm sure many of us have, and it's more often than not the tough bastard who you always thought was mentally bulletproof. So if you've been wondering about a mate being a bit quieter than normal lately or going through some s**t, maybe give them a call or go for a beer. You might never know the difference it made.

Thats really well said a lot of sense made here.
MrMickyD
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by trekin » 13 May 2018, 6:32 am

Ziad wrote:Yep unfortunately the stats on family violence are very grim in australia. I used to live in a country town in vic and off hand the coppers spent most of their time dealing with family violence issues.

Also can we not call it mass shooting... its murder/suicide... was gun this time but if no guns could have been any of a million other things.

Technically, it should be called a mass murder committed by an indivual using a firearm, who then suicided. It is what it is,
Noun
mass (countable and uncountable, plural masses)
1. (physical) Matter, material.
1. A quantity of matter cohering together so as to make one body, or an aggregation of particles or things which collectively make one body or quantity, usually of considerable size
2. (obsolete) Precious metal, especially gold or silver.
3. (physics) The quantity of matter which a body contains, irrespective of its bulk or volume. It is one of four fundamental properties of matter. It is measured in kilograms in the SI system of measurement.
4. (pharmacy) A medicinal substance made into a cohesive, homogeneous lump, of consistency suitable for making pills; as, blue mass.
5. (medicine) A palpable or visible abnormal globular structure; a tumor.
6. (bodybuilding) Excess body weight, especially in the form of muscle hypertrophy.
2. A large quantity; a sum.
3. (quantity) Large in number.
1. Bulk; magnitude; body; size.
2. The principal part; the main body.
3. A large body of individuals, especially persons.
The mass of spectators didn't see the infraction on the field.
A mass of ships converged on the beaches of Dunkirk.
4. (in the plural) The lower classes of persons.
The masses are revolting.

Mass + murder
Noun
mass murder (plural mass murders)
1. The killing of a large number of people over a short period of time.

Mass +‎ shooting
Noun
mass shooting (plural mass shootings)
1. (crime) The shooting of multiple people over a short period of time.

MASS shooting means the number of persons shot meets or excedes that as defined (in Australia, as defined by Alpers: 5 or more killed, excluding the killer), not their relationship to each other or the killer.
Sadly, the only people I have seen arguing that this should not be called a mass shooting, are solely from within our own ranks, LAFO's. Funnily enough though, these same LAFO who would deny this event as a mass shooting because of the relationship between the victims and the shooter, are quite happy to argue the stabbing of eight children by their mother in Cairns a couple of years ago, was a mass murder.
Call it whatever you like, it is what it is, a sad and tragic event, an event that shouldn't have happened, an event that our world class gun laws would not and could not have prevented, but it is still by definition a mass shooting.
Image Rifle stock and pistol grip reproduction.
"legally obligated to be a victim in this country"
I earned every grey hair I have.
trekin
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Heckler303 » 13 May 2018, 8:24 am

trekin wrote: it is what it is, a sad and tragic event, an event that shouldn't have happened, an event that our world class gun laws would not and could not have prevented

If 'World Class' means PC-Leftist Approved BS, then you're right on that.
If something doesn't work, apply rule .303!
Title_II wrote:If you carry a fun in Australia you will go to jail.
Heckler303
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Tasmania

Post by trekin » 13 May 2018, 9:12 am

Heckler303 wrote:
trekin wrote: it is what it is, a sad and tragic event, an event that shouldn't have happened, an event that our world class gun laws would not and could not have prevented

If 'World Class' means PC-Leftist Approved BS, then you're right on that.

I'm sure that goes without saying. But either way, the laws as they are written, could not and would not, have prevented this from happening.
trekin
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Member-Deleted » 13 May 2018, 10:20 am

Ok gents call it what you will , mass, multiple ,what ever but '' sad and tragic'' stand out louder wouldn't you think ?
Member-Deleted

Post by Homer » 13 May 2018, 11:25 am

G'Day Fella's,

Despite what all the Gun Grabbers have been telling the world, the draconian gun laws that were introduced in 1996 have not stopped massacres in Australia, with Gun or other devices.
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-05-11/s ... de/9751482

Further to this, as most people that were in touch with reality already knew, the draconian gun laws that were introduced in Australia in 1996, were not the reason we had not had a gun related massacre in Australia since then. This West Australian (W.A.) massacre, only and unfortunately confirms what we already knew.
We should now be holding all the Gun Grabbers responsible for this and any other criminal misuse of firearms, as they have been the ones that have been side tracking the authorities away from the real cause of these and other massacres......... Mental Health issues.

I assume because of the fact that these same draconian gun laws haven't stopped gun massacres from occurring in Australia, this has something to do with the complete lack of media coverage of this tragedy now (May 13 2018), by the mass media?
I've been listening to the radio this morning since 5am, and there has not been one news report about this W.A. gun massacre.
This is just the opposite tactics the Gun Grabbers use, when media Anti-Gun hysteria about gun massacres is of benefit to them.

RIP and FJWH!

D'oh!
Homer
Homer
Corporal
Corporal

Australian Capital Territory

Post by Member-Deleted » 13 May 2018, 5:18 pm

Fair bit of truth there Homer :thumbsup:
Member-Deleted

Post by bladeracer » 13 May 2018, 11:34 pm

Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Download » 13 May 2018, 11:59 pm

So the ABC are saying the guns were licensed but i don't see a source for the statement. I'll wait for the police to say something before believing it.
Download
Private
Private

South Australia

Post by bladeracer » 14 May 2018, 12:07 am

Download wrote:So the ABC are saying the guns were licensed but i don't see a source for the statement. I'll wait for the police to say something before believing it.

The Police clearly stated that "all three recovered firearms are legally licenced and registered to Peter Miles" in a press conference.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 14 May 2018, 12:13 am

bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Member-Deleted » 14 May 2018, 7:13 am

Member-Deleted

Post by trekin » 14 May 2018, 7:30 am

Says it all really.
Attachments
dickhead.JPG
dickhead.JPG (48.85 KiB) Viewed 2328 times
trekin
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Bruiser64 » 14 May 2018, 10:36 am

This bloke has clearly “thought about this stuff a lot”. He had these suggestions ready to go the moment another domestic violence tragedy happened. I view this kind of opportunism as distasteful and in very poor taste. I note the WA Premier has already put the view that (a) let’s wait until the investigation has been completed and the coroner has made their recommendation, (b) our gun laws are already very strict so their appears little to be gained in real terms from changing them and (c) there are some tragic events that external agencies can’t prevent.

People like the author of this article are in my view one trick ponies. They appear to have no acceptance that complex problems have complex solutions; if indeed there are any solutions to them. No one yet really knows what happened in relation to this tragedy. Everything in the media is speculation based upon very little real knowledge. The coverage in my view is salacious and offensive.

The suggestions this bloke makes are impractical, expensive and absurd in my opinion. Firstly he has to somehow convince the parliaments in 6 states and 2 territories this is a good idea. Then they have to fund the infrastructure and bureacracy to have law abiding citizens store their property at huge government expense at police stations. Yeah: good plan! I can imagine the joy of police officers across the land when they find out they are now employed as storeman.

Of course apart from all the practical considerations, the assault on civil rights and the political challenges that need to be overcome, there is the glaring problem that the reasons for family violence are hugely more complex than focussing on what implement a perpetrator uses to inflict it. It is just my opinion, but the anti gun crowd are self serving simplistic idiots seeking a non solution to complex problems.
Bruiser64
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Next

Return to Western Australia gun laws