Children and guns

Questions about Victorian gun and ammunition laws. Victorian Firearms Act 1996.

Re: Children and guns

Post by marksman » 13 May 2018, 11:03 am

bladeracer wrote:
marksman wrote:I promote that you should teach your children to handle firearms safely if you have them in your home :thumbsup:
let them explore them safely and get rid of the fascination they have so you know they will not be trying to have sneaky peeks when you don't know about it
there is no law in Vic that says they cannot be taught firearm safety or handle the firearms under the age of 12
the only law is that they must be 12 to be able to shoot a firearm at a legal shooting range under the supervision of a licenced adult and must have a junior permit to hunt or take part in competition shooting under the supervision of a licenced adult
don't make it a taboo, let firearms and firearm safety be a norm for them :drinks:

Wouldn't a child be considered "any unauthorised person", thus you cannot allow them access to your firearms and ammunition? Even unlicenced adults are prohibited from handling firearms or ammunition except under supervision at an approved range...

I see what you are saying but I recon its been over thought about

I have spoken to 2 local DFO's and told them how my young son when just out of nappies had a fascination with firearms
I stopped his addiction to having to hold all firearms put in front of him by giving them to him
eventually he lost interest, still loves guns but can walk past them now
the 2 DFO's said "great idea"

what you said about unlicensed adults only being able to handle firearms and ammunition under supervision at an approved range is not true, any adult or child (under supervision) can go into a gun shop and handle firearms they are interested in buying
some gunshop's ask for a licence but it is not law to produce it to handle a firearm, its there policy

anyway its all about making firearms the norm in our society again,
teach them properly young or leave it up to the x-box what do you recon :unknown:
I think its more important to teach my kids about firearm safety than gender farken fluidity :thumbsup:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Stix » 13 May 2018, 11:43 am

You're bang on about the fascination marksman...

The only firearms i couldnt regularly touch & never got to shoot were the ol'mans old winchester levers...
All i wanted to do was handle them & cycle the action...& i to the ol'mans annoyance i did it as often as i could.

Now im middle aged & to this day every time i open his safe i have to pick them up, handle & cycle them.
He took one up the farm last year to shut me up & i finally got to crack some rounds out of the carbine...

Love gender fluidity line :lol: . :thumbsup:
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Download » 01 Jun 2018, 7:42 pm

I was under the impression only NSW has a rule requiring all people using a firearm to have a license. Here in SA I've always been under the impression that a person can use a firearm under the supervision of a person with a license for that firearm.

In fact, looking it up:

8 (2)

(g) (junior shooters on grounds of shooting club)
the possession or use of a category A, B or H firearm by a person 10 years of age or more but under the age of 18 years on the grounds of a shooting club for the purpose of shooting in a manner authorised by the club, provided that:
(i)
the person is a member of a shooting club; and
(ii)
the person is (with the consent of his or her parent or guardian) with, and is under the continuous supervision of, a recognised coach who holds a firearms licence authorising possession of the firearm for the purpose for which it is being used; or

(q)
(supervised use by 14 to 18 year-olds)
the possession or use of a category A, B or H firearm by a person 14 years of age or more but under the age of 18 years if:
(i)
the person is with, and is under the continuous supervision of, his or her parent or guardian or some other person approved by his or her parent or guardian; and
(ii)
the person providing the supervision holds a firearms licence authorising possession of the firearm for the purpose for which it is being used; or

(r)
(supervised use by 10 to 14 year-olds)
the possession or use of a category A firearm or an air handgun by a person 10 years of age or more but under the age of 14 years if:
(i)
the person is with, and is under the continuous supervision of, his or her parent or guardian or some other person approved by his or her parent or guardian; and
(ii)
the person providing the supervision holds a firearms licence authorising possession of the firearm for the purpose for which it is being used; or

The tl;dr:

*10 to 14 year olds can shoot air pistols and Cat A firearms under supervision.
*10 to 14 year olds who are members of a gun club can shoot Cat A, B and H firearms at a gun club under supervision.
*15 to 18 year olds can shoot Cat A, B and H firearms under supervision.

A section in the regulations also allows a teenager between 15 and 18 who is a family member of a primary producer to get a Cat A or B license for primary production but they can't apply for a PTA. So they can loan a firearm from a parent, buy and possess ammo, but can't "own' a firearm.
Download
Private
Private

South Australia

Post by brett1868 » 01 Jun 2018, 9:09 pm

I was under the impression only NSW has a rule requiring all people using a firearm to have a license.

Not quite mate, In NSW any fit and proper person over the age of 12 can shoot without a license so long as they sign a P650, are on an approved range, under instruction and / or undertaking a firearm's safety training course. This is the legal method used for the "Try Shooting" programs run by various organisations such as the SSAA. I volunteer 2 hrs every Saturday morning working with kids aged 12-17 in the SSAA's Junior Development Program at St Mary's Indoor Range and many of the kids are still under a P650 till their permits come through. My son got his Minor's firearms Training permit for Cat A & B a month after turning 12 and his Cat H permit 4 months later. He's booked in for graduation June 12th and will be a full member of the St Mary's Pistol Club and finally can shoot with me or Wylie27. I'll probably get Wylie27 to coach him a bit as they are both lefties and I want him learning from all different people.

Here's the boy with his 2nd place medal that he won in a 300m competition shooting the 6.5 Hipster :)
IMG_4301.jpg
IMG_4301.jpg (88.32 KiB) Viewed 4483 times
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Download » 01 Jun 2018, 11:54 pm

brett1868 wrote:
I was under the impression only NSW has a rule requiring all people using a firearm to have a license.

Not quite mate, In NSW any fit and proper person over the age of 12 can shoot without a license so long as they sign a P650, are on an approved range, under instruction and / or undertaking a firearm's safety training course. This is the legal method used for the "Try Shooting" programs run by various organisations such as the SSAA. I volunteer 2 hrs every Saturday morning working with kids aged 12-17 in the SSAA's Junior Development Program at St Mary's Indoor Range and many of the kids are still under a P650 till their permits come through. My son got his Minor's firearms Training permit for Cat A & B a month after turning 12 and his Cat H permit 4 months later. He's booked in for graduation June 12th and will be a full member of the St Mary's Pistol Club and finally can shoot with me or Wylie27. I'll probably get Wylie27 to coach him a bit as they are both lefties and I want him learning from all different people.

Here's the boy with his 2nd place medal that he won in a 300m competition shooting the 6.5 Hipster :)
IMG_4301.jpg

Good stuff. Still, you can't take your kids out hunting can you?
Download
Private
Private

South Australia

Post by brett1868 » 02 Jun 2018, 1:54 pm

Good stuff. Still, you can't take your kids out hunting can you?

He is legal for hunting with me on private property with the owners consent which is either me or my cousin most of the time anyway. He should have his 'R' license in a few weeks, so he's then able to book in for the state forest hunts as well. As per license conditions he must be under the direct supervision of a licensed shooter at all times which is no big deal. The other key thing is license categories, the boy cannot shoot a Cat A unless the supervisor holds that category, same for Cat B. I've got A,B,G,H + High Cal so the boy can effectively shoot anything from a 22LR up to 50BMG rifle or 45ACP pistol. Not that I'd hand the young fella a hot load in a 44Mag revolver though I will get him try some light loads just to build his experience and piss off the Anti's and Fudds at the range :thumbsup:
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Return to Victorian gun laws