Pistol licence process in Victoria?

Questions about Victorian gun and ammunition laws. Victorian Firearms Act 1996.

Pistol licence process in Victoria?

Post by Granting » 23 Jul 2013, 10:47 am

Hi guys,

I've been Googleing for a while and am starting to go round in circle now... Looking into pistol licence requirements, process etc. to start shooting in Victoria.

Can someone point me towards a complete resource for this? I'm finding lots of dribs and drabs of info across the net, but haven't been able to find a "complete these 5 steps to get your pistol licence" type page that gives the whole process.

Cheers.
Tikka T3 Camo Stainless 30-06 w/ Zeiss Duralyt 3–12x50
Sako A11 22-250
Remington M514 22LR
Granting
Private
Private

Victoria

Re: Pistol licence process in Victoria?

Post by Aster » 23 Jul 2013, 1:50 pm

1st stop is your local club Granting.

Getting your pistol license is a lot more complicated than your longarm license. You don't just stick 'target shooting' on a form and mail it in.

Club membership and endorsement is required to get your licence/pistol and different clubs will have slightly difference procedures & criteria.

Be prepared for a lengthy process though. Off the top of my head I think it's 8-9 months to be in a position to own your own pistol.
See you on the firing line.
Aster

-

Post by Herdsman » 23 Jul 2013, 2:11 pm

Yep, different for every club so you really need to contact them directly.

Some require minimum legal attendance, some ask for over and above. Some will want to inspect your storage before they endorse you, others wont. And so on...

What one member here had to do at a different club won't necessarily be the same as your local.
Shepherding bullets down range.

Tikka Hunter Stainless Fluted 300 Win Mag
Tikka Battue Lite .308 Win
Tikka Varmint Stainless .222 Rem
Herdsman
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Hadoku » 24 Jul 2013, 10:09 am

Aster wrote:Be prepared for a lengthy process though. Off the top of my head I think it's 8-9 months to be in a position to own your own pistol.

9 months... :cry:

And only a month for a rifle though, right?
Hadoku
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Granting » 24 Jul 2013, 10:44 am

Hadoku wrote:
Aster wrote:Be prepared for a lengthy process though. Off the top of my head I think it's 8-9 months to be in a position to own your own pistol.

9 months... :cry:

And only a month for a rifle though, right?

28 day wait to get your license, then another 28 days to get your first rifle.

In Victoria anyways...
Tikka T3 Camo Stainless 30-06 w/ Zeiss Duralyt 3–12x50
Sako A11 22-250
Remington M514 22LR
Granting
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by Guliver » 27 Oct 2013, 11:32 am

I've been attending the local club and find the whole licensing thing to be extremely disorganised, turn up sit on your bum for a few hours hoping to be able to shoot, very little communication or organisation for a new member to get started, if you're lucky someone will take pity on you and offer to loan you their gun even then I can't buy ammo to pay them back the ammo I use, members are too polite to take cash to reimburse them for their ammo, which I find embarrassing.

I'm felling like I should just hang back do all the necessary stuff to obtain my license and buy my own gear, I will not then be dependent on the charity of others.

There just doesn't seem to be any structure to the process, all very frustrating and I'm sure it must put many people off the sport. I'm happy to wait but I feel like I'm lost without a map to guide me.
Guliver
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Yelp » 27 Oct 2013, 12:32 pm

Guliver wrote:There just doesn't seem to be any structure to the process, all very frustrating and I'm sure it must put many people off the sport. I'm happy to wait but I feel like I'm lost without a map to guide me.

All designed to make people give up I'm sure.
Yelp
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Return to Victorian gun laws