Importing rifle from US?

Questions about Victorian gun and ammunition laws. Victorian Firearms Act 1996.

Importing rifle from US?

Post by bladeracer » 23 May 2018, 12:35 pm

I've found a guy in the US selling a rifle I want.
Price is reasonable so we looked at the costs involved.
First up is an export fee of US$250, that's for anything at all firearm-related, but is the same $250 even if I buy ten rifles.
As you need a licence to be able to apply for the export, there is an additional fee for doing that.
http://weexportguns.com/
One place wants US$175 handling fee and a minimum shipping fee of US$430.
This all brings a US$1000 rifle up to around A$2500 by the time it lands here...where it is then hit with import duty and GST.
And then I'd probably want a couple hundred for my dealer to get it from Customs for me.

Has anybody here imported a firearm from the US recently?
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Re: Importing rifle from US?

Post by sungazer » 23 May 2018, 2:01 pm

Depending on how it is shipped you may need a Freight forwarding company to do the customs clearance and the inspections. I have done a fair bit of Sea Freight importing and it is much harder than Air Freight for example if you use Fedex you can circumnavigate a lot of the process.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by bladeracer » 23 May 2018, 4:49 pm

sungazer wrote:Depending on how it is shipped you may need a Freight forwarding company to do the customs clearance and the inspections. I have done a fair bit of Sea Freight importing and it is much harder than Air Freight for example if you use Fedex you can circumnavigate a lot of the process.

Thanks SG.
Is that firearm-related stuff?
Non-firearm related stuff is still easy out of the US, I've bought motorcycle stuff for nearly twenty years out of there. Got stung once for import duty on an exhaust system though.

I've just been chatting with a guy in South Africa that knows of two of these rifles currently for sale over there, so I might be lucky yet.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by sungazer » 23 May 2018, 5:01 pm

No not firearm related just importing equipment from all over the world for business and personal moves, personal items and motor bikes.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by wanneroo » 23 May 2018, 11:58 pm

Things should get easier on the USA end here soon as Trump is reforming ITAR and removing all bolt action and semi auto rifles, accessories, parts and magazines under a 50 round capacity from US Dept of State control.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by juststarting » 24 May 2018, 2:57 pm

wanneroo wrote:Things should get easier on the USA end here soon as Trump is reforming ITAR .

That's been going on since Obama... Doubt it'll happen soon.
---
https://reloadingstudio.com
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by Baz460 » 24 May 2018, 6:49 pm

I imported my double rifle from the States 2 months ago. I decided to go with an Australian Importer because of the value of the rifle, and didn't want it to get lost so to speak. The Importer when he had my rifle in Australia, informed me that although the original quote was $3000, which I agreed to, he then decided to charge me another $1000 on top of that. So a grand total $4100, to get it to me.
And I would never ever deal with that importer again, apart from overcharging me above the original quote, his correspondence over the 3 months it took to get here was extremely poor.
Cheers Baz.
Baz460
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by wanneroo » 24 May 2018, 11:45 pm

juststarting wrote:
wanneroo wrote:Things should get easier on the USA end here soon as Trump is reforming ITAR .

That's been going on since Obama... Doubt it'll happen soon.

Oh it's happening. The regulations are up for a public comment period right now.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by juststarting » 25 May 2018, 12:28 am

wanneroo, so does it mean that, for example, I can buy some ammo in USA and as long as the store is willing to ship it to AU, I am good (assuming i got paper work on my end)? They won't need any additional paperwork, etc. Just package and send, maybe? Please let it be so.
---
https://reloadingstudio.com
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 25 May 2018, 2:28 am

juststarting wrote:wanneroo, so does it mean that, for example, I can buy some ammo in USA and as long as the store is willing to ship it to AU, I am good (assuming i got paper work on my end)? They won't need any additional paperwork, etc. Just package and send, maybe? Please let it be so.

I don't think ammo comes under ITAR?
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by wanneroo » 25 May 2018, 5:02 am

juststarting wrote:wanneroo, so does it mean that, for example, I can buy some ammo in USA and as long as the store is willing to ship it to AU, I am good (assuming i got paper work on my end)? They won't need any additional paperwork, etc. Just package and send, maybe? Please let it be so.

Ammunition that isn't belted or linked apparently will be removed from ITAR and US Dept of State control.

https://www.ammoland.com/2018/05/trump- ... z5GRn2gc6y
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Baz460 » 25 May 2018, 4:38 pm

You can't even get a Trijicon red dot sight sent out!!. :thumbsdown:
Baz460
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland