Using a .22LR pistol for humanely putting down animals

Questions about New South Wales gun and ammunition laws. NSW Firearms Act 1996.

Using a .22LR pistol for humanely putting down animals

Post by PanopticEmu » 29 May 2018, 12:24 pm

so, I'm trying to get a petition rolling for NSW hunters and farmers to be permitted to use a .22cal handgun for the purposes of putting down animals.

if anyone could sign it, I'd really appreciate it.

https://www.change.org/p/nsw-police-farmers-and-hunters-to-be-permitted-to-carry-and-use-a-22cal-handgun
PanopticEmu
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Re: Using a .22LR pistol for humanely putting down animals

Post by YoungBuck » 29 May 2018, 6:09 pm

I wish you good luck, I've had a few instances where it would have been very handy to to have even a single shot pistol to put down foxes that haven't died after the first shot, but unfortunately I don't think you will get far with it in this country.
It'll shoot the fleas off a dog's back at five hundred yards, Tannen, and it's pointed straight at your head!
YoungBuck
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 29 May 2018, 7:41 pm

PanopticEmu wrote:so, I'm trying to get a petition rolling for NSW hunters and farmers to be permitted to use a .22cal handgun for the purposes of putting down animals.

https://www.change.org/p/nsw-police-farmers-and-hunters-to-be-permitted-to-carry-and-use-a-22cal-handgun

Gives me an error even with three tries.
Attachments
petition error.JPG
petition error.JPG (16.78 KiB) Viewed 2837 times
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 29 May 2018, 7:45 pm

PanopticEmu wrote:so, I'm trying to get a petition rolling for NSW hunters and farmers to be permitted to use a .22cal handgun for the purposes of putting down animals.

The petition mentions the dangers of using full-power loads to finish off animals at very close ranges, which is why I carry reduced loads. If I could carry a .22LR handgun would I stop carrying reduced loads? Nope, I think the slow heavy bullet is more versatile than carrying a .22LR handgun in addition to a rifle. I'd happily sign it if it would let me, but I have no interest in carrying a rimfire handgun while hunting. Open it up to centrefire and I'm in though.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by PanopticEmu » 29 May 2018, 8:33 pm

bentaz wrote:I just get an error msg when I click on your link?

sorry, it seems like change.org has been having server problems the last couple of hours...
must be overloaded from all the people trying to sign the petition :sarcasm:
PanopticEmu
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Rod_outbak » 29 May 2018, 9:48 pm

I'm confused; why is it dangerous to use full-powered .22LR rounds to put an animal down?

I must've shot thousands of livestock, ferals, cats, and other animals using full-power rounds in a .22LR, and I havent once seen an instance where it seemed overly dangerous because we were using full-powered loads!

A .22 round to the back of the head behind the ear will put nearly anything down.
Is there a concern the full-powered rounds are going to bounce all over the place?
I'm asking because I just havent ever seen that happen, and thats in shooting many thousands of animals by a .22 round to the back of the head, with the exiting bullet path going down into the ground..

Now, a .45acp round to the back of the head; THAT's getting a tad hairy for me. Much prefer to do that one from a few metres away.

Cheers,

Rod.
---------------------
Sharing the extreme love with cats in Outback QLD
Rod_outbak
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Stix » 29 May 2018, 9:52 pm

It worked for me just now.
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bladeracer » 29 May 2018, 10:42 pm

Rod_outbak wrote:I'm confused; why is it dangerous to use full-powered .22LR rounds to put an animal down?

I must've shot thousands of livestock, ferals, cats, and other animals using full-power rounds in a .22LR, and I havent once seen an instance where it seemed overly dangerous because we were using full-powered loads!

A .22 round to the back of the head behind the ear will put nearly anything down.
Is there a concern the full-powered rounds are going to bounce all over the place?
I'm asking because I just havent ever seen that happen, and thats in shooting many thousands of animals by a .22 round to the back of the head, with the exiting bullet path going down into the ground..

Now, a .45acp round to the back of the head; THAT's getting a tad hairy for me. Much prefer to do that one from a few metres away.

Cheers,

Rod.

Where did it say anything about full-power .22LR being dangerous?
It mentions full-power hunting loads being potentially dangerous at point-blank range.
I don't know that it's particularly dangerous, but it's certainly unpleasant, especially with some of the hotter cartridges.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 29 May 2018, 10:46 pm

Stix wrote:It worked for me just now.

Not a handgun, but I used a .22LR rifle to finish off a 46kg grey 'roo that got messed up by a quarry truck.
At very close ranges there's not much that won't fall over dead from a well-placed .22LR bullet.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Rod_outbak » 30 May 2018, 6:16 am

[quote="bladeracer"][quote="Rod_outbak"]I'm confused; why is it dangerous to use full-powered .22LR rounds to put an animal down?

Cheers,

Rod.[/quote]

Where did it say anything about full-power .22LR being dangerous?
It mentions full-power hunting loads being potentially dangerous at point-blank range.
I don't know that it's particularly dangerous, but it's certainly unpleasant, especially with some of the hotter cartridges.[/quote]

=======================================
Ahhhhh!
Light Bulb moment!

Profound apologies; I thought the mention of full-power loads was talking about ONLY using standard or subsonic .22LR rounds for humane destruction, and not full-power .22LR loads.

My bad.

I have a 45ACP handgun, with a .22LR conversion. If given the choice, I'd opt for the .22 mode if I'm simply putting something out of it's misery.
It's not that the .45 isnt up to the task, but it IS potentially a lot more dangerous than using a .22LR.
[If it's big, pissed-off, and still quite bitey, then the .45 from a few metres, is a lot more appealling..]

Apologies again; I mis-understood.

Cheers,

Rod.
---------------------
Sharing the extreme love with cats in Outback QLD
Rod_outbak
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Return to New South Wales gun laws