Importing unrifled/unchamberd blank

Questions about Federal gun laws covering all of Australia. Importing / exporting firearms and ammunition. Dealing with Australian Border Force, Customs etc.

Importing unrifled/unchamberd blank

Post by johnnyboy7 » 29 May 2018, 11:15 pm

I'm from victoria and looking to import an unrifled and unchambered bored steel rod to be taken to local gunsmith for a custom job. Is paper work needed for importation or is it simply seen as "hollow tube" and only defined as a "barrel" once the rifling and chamber is cut into it?
johnnyboy7
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Re: Importing unrifled/unchamberd blank

Post by Wombat » 30 May 2018, 6:57 am

I think it would depend on what is on the invoice. If the supplier says its hollow bar stock/tube or a barrel blank.
Wombat
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by straightshooter » 30 May 2018, 8:02 am

I discussed exactly this issue with a customs officer responsible for firearms inspection a couple of years ago.
The reply at the time indicated that an unchambered, unthreaded rifled barrel blank was not considered to be an actual firearm part and there was no restriction on import BUT in his words it would be a big mistake to try and represent it as merely a piece of steel tube.
If you are thinking of buying from the US forget it. To legally export from there the exporter has to have an export licence specific to that transaction which costs about $400US and applies whether it is one barrel or a hundred barrels.
Other countries such as Germany are also tightening up.
The war on terror seems to be an even greater war on fun.
"Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about."
"There is no expedient to which a man will not resort to avoid the real labor of thinking." Sir Joshua Reynolds
straightshooter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Wombat » 30 May 2018, 8:24 am

Yes but the key thing is that he's looking at an unrifled/unchambered blank which is in reality and appearance a thick walled tube. As always asking customs directly is the best course, although it may depend on who you ask. I've have different decisions on exactly the same (non firearm) items over the years....
Wombat
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by brett1868 » 30 May 2018, 9:42 am

I have to ask why? If the local smith is going to do the rifling then surely they can get a blank made locally much cheaper. I've bought barrels in from the US only because I was after a certain make & model that was unavailable locally. Strangely enough, you don't need a B709 for the import of a blank but the exporter may require one before shipping. Unless it's something exotic or you're prepared to spend the cash it's just not worth the cost to import a single unit.
Last edited by brett1868 on 30 May 2018, 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by johnnyboy7 » 30 May 2018, 4:47 pm

bentaz wrote:There is a mob in melb that I contacted about boring me a heavy 12ga barrel, they were happy to do it. Have you considered buy a bit of bar stock and having it made?

How much would a job like that cost?
johnnyboy7
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by johnnyboy7 » 30 May 2018, 5:04 pm

brett1868 wrote:I have to ask why? If the local smith is going to do the rifling then surely they can get a blank made locally much cheaper. I've bought barrels in from the US only because I was after a certain make & model that was available locally. Strangely enough, you don't need a B709 for the import of a blank but the exporter may require one before shipping. Unless it's something exotic or you're prepared to spend the cash it's just not worth the cost to import a single unit.

s**t. Didn't even realize you could get bars bored out and assumed only off the shelf rifled blanks were available. The cost for the import is $160 which is quite cheap compared to what I've seen for rifled and chamberd blanks.
johnnyboy7
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Apollo » 30 May 2018, 5:40 pm

johnnyboy7 wrote:I'm from victoria and looking to import an unrifled and unchambered bored steel rod to be taken to local gunsmith for a custom job. Is paper work needed for importation or is it simply seen as "hollow tube" and only defined as a "barrel" once the rifling and chamber is cut into it?

I doubt if you ever will be able to purchase a bored steel rod. I would believe it would still be a "Barrel Blank" in a certain calibre bore and rifled to your desired twist rate.

Anyway, there are many suppliers in Australia that can supply any brand of barrel you might want in any configuration but you might have to wait until it's made then added to their order which may just be the same amount of time you might have to wait to buy it direct except they pay the duties n tax which may really work out less than you can import one for direct.

Don't forget we have our own Aussie barrel makers.... Just as good as anything form overseas.

Depends on what you want... ???

Post more specifics on what you want and for what firearm.. Who knows, you might find someone that has one sitting around.

For example.... I have 3 Barrel Blanks sitting here I have had for years not used yet..just in case I needed one... I'm talking Rifle 31" HV Stainless.
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by johnnyboy7 » 30 May 2018, 6:06 pm

Apollo wrote:
johnnyboy7 wrote:I'm from victoria and looking to import an unrifled and unchambered bored steel rod to be taken to local gunsmith for a custom job. Is paper work needed for importation or is it simply seen as "hollow tube" and only defined as a "barrel" once the rifling and chamber is cut into it?

I doubt if you ever will be able to purchase a bored steel rod. I would believe it would still be a "Barrel Blank" in a certain calibre bore and rifled to your desired twist rate.

Anyway, there are many suppliers in Australia that can supply any brand of barrel you might want in any configuration but you might have to wait until it's made then added to their order which may just be the same amount of time you might have to wait to buy it direct except they pay the duties n tax which may really work out less than you can import one for direct.

Don't forget we have our own Aussie barrel makers.... Just as good as anything form overseas.

Depends on what you want... ???

Post more specifics on what you want and for what firearm.. Who knows, you might find someone that has one sitting around.

For example.... I have 3 Barrel Blanks sitting here I have had for years not used yet..just in case I needed one... I'm talking Rifle 31" HV Stainless.

I've got a cz455 that came with 22lr/22 mag. The 22lr barrel is giving me poor groupings and want to change the barrel but don't want to buy a new cz barrel and instead looking for a heavier barrel. Something along the lines of a 1 inch diameter.
johnnyboy7
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Apollo » 30 May 2018, 6:48 pm

A CZ455 I believe has a special method of locking the barrel into the chamber. I don't know but it may be beyond anyone to copy ??

Quite different from a barrel that just screws up to the action... ??

Now..... In my many years (50) of playing with 22LR there are two main problems of inaccuracy... The first is the shooter, the second is that the shooter is not using the right ammo.

I have a Brno (CZ) Model 2 1965... I if I grab a box of whatever ammo I get 3-4-5-6 to more inch groups or hit nothing... The rifle doesn't perform with that brand...

BUT... Like I have done is buy a dozen or more brands from cheap to very expensive and CLEAN the rifle barrel between each brand difference ...... The result is I can up with a Model 2 that shoots about 0.25" Groups at 50 Metres. I use that in competition 200 Yard Shooting and can group 5 shots in about 2".

My advice.... Go buy a lot more different ammo and don't be silly saying it's too expensive.....
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by johnnyboy7 » 30 May 2018, 7:15 pm

I've tried over 100 types of ammo and the R50 from RWS is the best giving me 25mm groups. My anschutz 1712 can get 0.25" groups at 50m with many different ammo brands so I'm pretty sure it's the rifle.
johnnyboy7
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by brett1868 » 30 May 2018, 9:44 pm

Lilja make a drop in barrel for the 455 and they have local dealers. Might not be cheap but Lilja make some of the best barrels in the world and taken numerous Olympic gold medals in rimfire.

Australian Importers
http://riflebarrels.com/importers/
How's my posting?
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Apollo » 30 May 2018, 10:28 pm

johnnyboy7 wrote:I've tried over 100 types of ammo and the R50 from RWS is the best giving me 25mm groups. My anschutz 1712 can get 0.25" groups at 50m with many different ammo brands so I'm pretty sure it's the rifle.

25mm groups at 50m..??? Not sure but you did mention 50m for the Anschutz.

I'd be looking at other reasons other than the barrel but I have never even picked up a CZ455 to look at what may be out of adjustment, like mounting screws, seating etc. My Brno 2, well I can't measure a few groups at 50m as they are just one hole.

Brett has offered a great idea. Other than that, sell it and buy something else. It's not an expensive rifle at all and sorry, I feel for you as I never ever liked the idea CZ came up with this interchangeable barrel idea. If it was a Sako well, that's a different story.

It's just me, but I don't see the reason for these rimfire swaps type rifles. I'm yet to see a deadly accurate .22 Magnum.
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by brett1868 » 30 May 2018, 10:40 pm

"I'm yet to see a deadly accurate .22 Magnum."

Check out the Lithgow LA101 in 22 Mag if you get a chance. Picture below is from the boy shooting mine @ 50M and keep in mind he's 12, left handed and shooting a R/H rifle. Not a bad 5 shot group for an off the shelf unmolested rifle with budget factory ammo in the hands of a child :)

IMG_4079.jpg
IMG_4079.jpg (97.71 KiB) Viewed 8482 times
How's my posting?
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Apollo » 30 May 2018, 10:49 pm

Brett, okay mate but at 50m I'm talking less than the main hole in that target...

Good shooting for the youngster.

22 Mag but why.... I wished they made a 22 Hornet, just as cheap and more accurate. Anyway, the Lithgow LA101 17HMR I handled, looked at and felt really smick BUT ammo is way too expensive.
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by sungazer » 31 May 2018, 11:36 am

If you remember back to Tomek that was having problems with getting the group size he wanted from his CZ452. I went to the range one day to help him and we sorted out some of his issues in the end it was the expectation that needed changing. That rifle just wasn't going to give him the accuracy he expected from it. you cant expect $3000 build quality from a $1000 rifle. All the components of a rifle contribute in different proportions to the overall accuracy. The barrel being the biggest component. However it must be remembered that every part plays a role.
To the OP original post. I cant see why you would import a top quality barrel without it being rifled already. It is the rifling as much as anything that is needed to be done by a quality process. I piece of the highest quality steel could easily be ruined by a less than perfect machinist. Also do you want a buttoned rifled barrel or a cut barrel. The current accepted thinking is that cut rifling produces a higher % of successful barrels than button cut.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by johnnyboy7 » 31 May 2018, 4:52 pm

bentaz wrote:Then instead of trying to polish a turd why not flog it off and buy s**t loads of ammo for your 1712?

I'll do that which'll free up some room in the safe for a centrefire :D
johnnyboy7
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by johnnyboy7 » 31 May 2018, 4:56 pm

Apollo wrote:
johnnyboy7 wrote:I've tried over 100 types of ammo and the R50 from RWS is the best giving me 25mm groups. My anschutz 1712 can get 0.25" groups at 50m with many different ammo brands so I'm pretty sure it's the rifle.

25mm groups at 50m..??? Not sure but you did mention 50m for the Anschutz.

Yep the cz will at best get me 25mm groups with either the R50 or Tenex at 50m.
johnnyboy7
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by johnnyboy7 » 31 May 2018, 5:00 pm

sungazer wrote:If you remember back to Tomek that was having problems with getting the group size he wanted from his CZ452. I went to the range one day to help him and we sorted out some of his issues in the end it was the expectation that needed changing. That rifle just wasn't going to give him the accuracy he expected from it. you cant expect $3000 build quality from a $1000 rifle. All the components of a rifle contribute in different proportions to the overall accuracy. The barrel being the biggest component. However it must be remembered that every part plays a role.
To the OP original post. I cant see why you would import a top quality barrel without it being rifled already. It is the rifling as much as anything that is needed to be done by a quality process. I piece of the highest quality steel could easily be ruined by a less than perfect machinist. Also do you want a buttoned rifled barrel or a cut barrel. The current accepted thinking is that cut rifling produces a higher % of successful barrels than button cut.

I don't think I'll be bothering with trying to make the old cz accurate any longer and will just palm it off.
johnnyboy7
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Return to National gun laws - Australian Federal gun laws