NSW - Sound Moderators - Legally purchased through form P638

Questions about New South Wales gun and ammunition laws. NSW Firearms Act 1996.

NSW - Sound Moderators - Legally purchased through form P638

Post by axio » 03 Jun 2018, 12:23 am

Hey all

This is a hot potato so posting it here

Seems we are allowed to have suppressors in NSW but i don't know anybody who's actually managed to get one.

For hunting purposes, is it possible for your average person to get it?
Last edited by axio on 03 Jun 2018, 12:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
axio
Private
Private

New South Wales

Re: NSW - Sound Moderators

Post by Wombat » 03 Jun 2018, 12:27 am

No.
Wombat
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Wombat » 03 Jun 2018, 12:31 am

Not legally, however there are a number of muzzle brakes whose design is uncomfortably close to a monolithic suppressor for sale complete with "Hard cases". I'd stay well away from any such stupidity if you wanted to keep your freedom,license and guns.
Wombat
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by axio » 03 Jun 2018, 12:36 am

To be specific, I'm talking about this form here:
https://www.police.nsw.gov.au/online_se ... s/silencer

We can legally apply for them but seems its a black hole, not sure what the go is

*edited the title to clarify this is a legally purchased item in NSW apparently.
axio
Private
Private

New South Wales

Re: NSW - Sound Moderators - Legally purchased through form

Post by pomemax » 03 Jun 2018, 1:32 am

Yes you can purchase them in NSW.
I was talking to a guy in a gun shop who had a permit to acquire one. The gun shop owner still could not supply him with a moderator even tho the guy had his permit to acquire one with him and yes he did show the permit to any that wanted to look at it . (ME) the shop owner would of liked to help him but did not have any because he was not licensed to sell them
The guy was a licensed pest-control company owner with contracts to remove rabbits and crows from a few golf courses in Sydney area when I was asking him how he got the permit 3-4 years of continuous paper work between him and the then commissioner of police 2 trips to court with a barrister in a file that looked like a telephone book .
To my way of thinking the cost outweighed the benefit of having one
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by Archie » 03 Jun 2018, 5:57 am

axio wrote:To be specific, I'm talking about this form here:

We can legally apply for them but seems its a black hole, not sure what the go is

*edited the title to clarify this is a legally purchased item in NSW apparently.

The go is, you almost certainly aren’t going to get approved and you might end up regretting it if you do. Your security requirements will get much tighter. When you put a moderator on a gun, that gun immeadiately becomes classified as a prohibited weapon. Much much stricter rules around storage and usage for those.
Archie
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bullzeye » 03 Jun 2018, 8:17 am

Seems it’s possible for business/ employment related purposes.

However for target shooting/ recreational hunting/ vermin control - I doubt you’d be able to get one unless there are very exceptional purposes.
bullzeye
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Gaznazdiak » 03 Jun 2018, 10:19 am

Some interesting reading on the subject.
It's a PDF, so you have to download it to read it.
http://ro.ecu.edu.au/cgi/viewcontent.cg ... uworks2011
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by eddahenry » 03 Jun 2018, 10:20 am

Archie wrote:
axio wrote:To be specific, I'm talking about this form here:

The go is, you almost certainly aren’t going to get approved and you might end up regretting it if you do. Your security requirements will get much tighter. When you put a moderator on a gun, that gun immeadiately becomes classified as a prohibited weapon. Much much stricter rules around storage and usage for those.

yep gos up the same as CatD oh and paintball markers go figure lol
eddahenry
Private
Private

Western Australia

Post by pomemax » 03 Jun 2018, 2:15 pm

Gaznazdiak wrote:Some interesting reading on the subject.
It's a PDF, so you have to download it to read it.
http://ro.ecu.edu.au/cgi/viewcontent.cg ... uworks2011

Good read if you have time
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by sungazer » 03 Jun 2018, 3:16 pm

i was just skim reading that document and one of the pros was less stock disturbance. have a look at this. https://www.facebook.com/search/top/?q= ... 0rifleclub They dont seem to concerned.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by RoginaJack » 03 Jun 2018, 4:06 pm

Go to New Zealand, it's a different world there. Silencers are prohibited of course but suppressors are legal. In the LGS are openly displayed attached to firearms. Roughly 60% of hunters use them and suppressors are starting to be used more in target shooting.

EG. Package deal - Tikka T3X carbine with Hardy Gen.6 Suppressor...$!,999.00 (NZ), and with Burris FFII 3-9x40 scope $2,399.00 (NZ).
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by axio » 04 Jun 2018, 12:24 am

Its good to see somebody has written an article on this, the argument is fairly academic in that suppressors are to reduce hearing loss and noise pollution.

The way I read it is they know these sort of items can easily fall into the wrong hands considering their size, thus strict storage requirements/mountains of paperwork are in place . That is understandable, however I like most people value our hearing so we really should be pursuing it now the option is there dont you think?
axio
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by sungazer » 04 Jun 2018, 9:18 am

if they were legal, cheaper and in widespread use. I think they may actually have the opposite effect of protecting hearing. I think there would be a lot of shooters that would forgo wearing hearing protection in either the belief that the moderator was enough or just the fact that hey mate Ive got a cool moderator so I don't need hearing protection.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by Gaznazdiak » 04 Jun 2018, 9:50 am

axio wrote:Its good to see somebody has written an article on this, the argument is fairly academic in that suppressors are to reduce hearing loss and noise pollution.

The way I read it is they know these sort of items can easily fall into the wrong hands considering their size, thus strict storage requirements/mountains of paperwork are in place . That is understandable, however I like most people value our hearing so we really should be pursuing it now the option is there dont you think?

The thing is though, there are no "wtong hands" when it comes to a completely inert metal tube.

If crims wanted to use supressors, they could smuggle them in with the illegal pistols and drugs and such they seem to have little trouble getting in and be using them now. The fact that they aren't makes a nonsense of the government's contention that they will be "misused".
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by RoginaJack » 04 Jun 2018, 11:29 am

Sorry AXIO, but I don't agree with the "mountains of paperwork" and "That is understandable..." garbage. A half-arsed back yard machinist could easily knock up a "silencer" for the local gangs and druggies BUT they are after the full sound effects when shooting up houses etc. A silencer would totally defeat the purpose.

The ACT have used Suppressors when culling roos and a group of New Zealanders came over here to cull goats and where permitted to use suppressors.

Apparently, a large number of Licences are held by various Government Departments for the use of suppressors. Could it be that the Government are concerned about claims for damage/ loss of hearing cases?
Last edited by RoginaJack on 04 Jun 2018, 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Gaznazdiak » 04 Jun 2018, 11:35 am

RoginaJack wrote:Sorry AXIO, but I don't agree with the "mountains of paperwork" and "That is understandable..." garbage. A half-arsed back yard masochist could easily knock up a "silencer" for the local gangs and druggies BUT they are after the full sound effects when shooting up houses etc. A silencer would totally defeat the purpose.

The ACT have used Suppressors when culling roos and a group of New Zealanders came over here to cull goats and where permitted to use suppressors.

Apparently, a large number of Licences are held by various Government Departments for the use of suppressors. Could it be that the Government are concerned about claims for damage/ loss of hearing cases?

Spot on.

This shows that they know that they aren't an issue, but they ban them just because they can.
Probably in a "you bend over for me and I'll bend over for you" deal to get some other way to reduce taxes for billionaires.
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by sungazer » 04 Jun 2018, 12:05 pm

Just saying that it doesnt take much to tame the sound if that was your intention. The old oil filter will work wonders not that i have tried. I have watched the utube. The long filters that are used in trucks and tractors would give a fair bit more than some of the short ones in use as seen on utube. The crims dont use them because the results are not like the movies.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by Wombat » 04 Jun 2018, 7:58 pm

sungazer wrote:Just saying that it doesnt take much to tame the sound if that was your intention. The old oil filter will work wonders not that i have tried. I have watched the utube. The long filters that are used in trucks and tractors would give a fair bit more than some of the short ones in use as seen on utube. The crims dont use them because the results are not like the movies.

There was those deer poachers caught recently, one of them had a suppressor :unknown:
Wombat
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by axio » 20 Jun 2018, 7:54 pm

Hey all, so I want to steer this conversation back on track. This isn't a topic about how crims can go to bunnings and assemble some pipe fittings.

We have a legal option in NSW to purchase something which can help reduce overall noise pollution and long term hearing damage. It'd be good to hear pointers from anyone whos managed to get through the paperwork.
axio
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 20 Jun 2018, 8:47 pm

Ok, just spoke to someone who knows, and he told me just use a pillow ob the end of the barrel, it reduces the noise from a 50bmg to near 60db... but ies only one use so Friday might be too much also attacking anything to the end of the barrel will change the point of impact

He works in Hollywood
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 20 Jun 2018, 9:13 pm

axio wrote:Its good to see somebody has written an article on this, the argument is fairly academic in that suppressors are to reduce hearing loss and noise pollution.

Why would it matter if a suppressor were to fall into the wrong hands? Anybody with nefarious intent is more likely to make their own than try to steal one, but a suppressor is not going to make their criminal firearm use any less illegal.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 20 Jun 2018, 9:16 pm

sungazer wrote:i was just skim reading that document and one of the pros was less stock disturbance. have a look at this. https://www.facebook.com/search/top/?q= ... 0rifleclub They dont seem to concerned.

I shoot centrefires regularly around our cattle and they don't pay any attention at all. The neighbour's cattle will often come and stand at the fence twenty-metres away and watch me.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by axio » 20 Jun 2018, 11:25 pm

Yeh the magpies who sit literally in the line of fckning fire don't move either. But the point remains we have a real shot at this so why not pursue it for our own benefit.
axio
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 20 Jun 2018, 11:59 pm

axio wrote:Yeh the magpies who sit literally in the line of fckning fire don't move either. But the point remains we have a real shot at this so why not pursue it for our own benefit.

Agreed, but I would prefer to have the authorities try to come up with some sort of justification for why we can't have them to begin with. I've never seen anything put forward other than "public safety" but never any example of how suppressors affect public safety either way.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by axio » 21 Jun 2018, 12:06 am

It's the opposite in NSW. We have to justify why we want them. A process to acquire exists so why not use it right? You'll notice TAS is trying to push this topic as well (but with the obvious backlash lol)

Didn't a range in Vic just get shut down for 'loud noises' over go-kart tracks? I'm certain its all BS but the reality is Australia is getting smaller and compensating noise a is viable way to help keep our sport in the long term.
axio
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by darwindingo » 21 Jun 2018, 1:59 am

bladeracer wrote:
axio wrote:Yeh the magpies who sit literally in the line of fckning fire don't move either. But the point remains we have a real shot at this so why not pursue it for our own benefit.

Agreed, but I would prefer to have the authorities try to come up with some sort of justification for why we can't have them to begin with. I've never seen anything put forward other than "public safety" but never any example of how suppressors affect public safety either way.

That's the golden question BR, why cant we have them?

The standard "public safety" excuse is and has always been a total wank.... May as well say we can't possess ear muffs while they are at it :crazy:

:drinks:
“Accidental Discharges” DO NOT OCCUR !!

An "Unintended Discharge" is nothing more than the lack of appropriate safety procedures or the failure to follow them..!

I love my country, but fear my government.
darwindingo
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by NTSOG » 21 Jun 2018, 6:18 am

"... one of the pros [of sound moderators] was less stock disturbance."

My cattle don't react at all to rimfire or centre-fire shots even with me shooting in the same paddock, but my wife's horse is a complete nutter - if he was human he would have a psychiatric diagnosis - and runs around his paddock like a mad hare. Other horses we have had did not react to gun shots at all.

Jim
NTSOG
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by RoginaJack » 21 Jun 2018, 10:01 am

[quote="bladeracer"

I shoot centrefires regularly around our cattle and they don't pay any attention at all. The neighbour's cattle will often come and stand at the fence twenty-metres away and watch me.[/quote]

Ah, the neighbour's cattle are very wise Bovines indead, figured out standing at fence 25 metres away is the safest place. :lol: :lol:
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by bullzeye » 21 Jun 2018, 12:33 pm

If you have Cat D you should be able to get one...

A very big MAYBE for Cat C license holders.

For the rest of us, forget it.
bullzeye
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Next

Return to New South Wales gun laws