Shotgun pellet sizes

Double barrel, side by side, over-under, semi-automatic, straight-pull and lever action shotguns.

Shotgun pellet sizes

Post by Stoney » 10 Jun 2019, 7:39 pm

G'day fellas, Long story short, I have happened onto a new property that has foxes. I have a 223 and all the gear. But I want to take a shotgun as my mate is green as grass to shooting and with his ability a shotgun is a blessing :lol: I have always shot foxes with rifles. I bought a box of 12 gauge BB's to use but in having a look a the pellet size it seems very small. I thought pellet size around .22 would be better?. The shotgun is Side x Side, lead shot, 1/2 & Full, realistic shotgun range hopefully. He would do a flip to shoot his first fox. Any recommendations on shot size? Also, does anyone have a bona fide chart of Australian shot sizes? I googled it and have gotten heaps of variations. Cheers
Stoney
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Re: Shotgun pellet sizes

Post by bladeracer » 10 Jun 2019, 7:56 pm

I would go with BB's. Pattern it to determine your maximum range.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 10 Jun 2019, 8:08 pm

Yeh, bbs are very popular.
But i use 2s because they flow well in the reloader. Very effective.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by duncan61 » 10 Jun 2019, 8:14 pm

BB is a good size around 50 to the ounce.I used them a lot when I was shotgunning.You can get them in a 3 inch Magnum as well which puts your range out to 50-60 yards on foxes and 60-70 on rabbits
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by flutch » 11 Jun 2019, 1:32 am

For foxes stick to BB, AAA and at a stretch #4 shot, this will result in good patterns and enough of a whack to sort them out, I have taken foxes down with target loads before #7.5 and #9 shot, but I would argue I'm a damn sight more experienced than your mate and know the limitations of such rounds...

Since you have already got BB rounds just stick to those mate, they'll be perfect for the job
Guns:
Rossi S/S 410
Lanber U/O 12 gauge
Adler B220PG 12 gauge
Ruger 22lr
Remington 270 win
Howa 223
Weatherby 300 Winmag

Bows:
G5 Quest Drive
G5 Prime Defy
flutch
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by No1Mk3 » 11 Jun 2019, 7:02 am

G'day Stoney,
BB are .190" diameter loaded at 50 to the ounce. If you want a pellet around .22 you would need to go to #4 Buck at .24 dia and 22 to the oz. Your most common buck is OO which are .33" diameter and usually loaded at 9 to the oz. As the others have stated your mate would be more effective using BB's due to the larger number of pellets he will be throwing at the fox and the BB is very lethal on such game out to 50 meters or so, Cheers.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by RoginaJack » 11 Jun 2019, 3:41 pm

Try BB's in full choke barrel and 2's in the 1/2 choke. Covers fox whistled in close and those that want to hang out a bit further...
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by bigfellascott » 11 Jun 2019, 5:11 pm

BB's is all I use in my 12 Boito SB - works fine on em. :thumbsup:

This one got rolled at around 60m or so

This one at about 2m
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Stoney » 11 Jun 2019, 5:41 pm

Excellent responses as per usual. Thank you Gentlemen. I will go with the BB's with confidence. :thumbsup:
Stoney
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 12 Jun 2019, 6:00 pm

No1Mk3 wrote:G'day Stoney,
BB are .190" diameter loaded at 50 to the ounce. If you want a pellet around .22 you would need to go to #4 Buck at .24 dia and 22 to the oz. Your most common buck is OO which are .33" diameter and usually loaded at 9 to the oz. As the others have stated your mate would be more effective using BB's due to the larger number of pellets he will be throwing at the fox and the BB is very lethal on such game out to 50 meters or so, Cheers.

BB sizes depend on the market, US BB's are .180" for use in .177" "BB guns", but here they're smaller. I use Aussie-made Winchester BB's to swap into bulk field loads. Made here they measure around .168-.169". They fall through a .177" barrel without touching the rifling.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Stoney » 12 Jun 2019, 8:03 pm

bladeracer wrote:
No1Mk3 wrote:G'day Stoney,

BB sizes depend on the market, US BB's are .180" for use in .177" "BB guns", but here they're smaller. I use Aussie-made Winchester BB's to swap into bulk field loads. Made here they measure around .168-.169". They fall through a .177" barrel without touching the rifling.

That's what I thought as well Blade. It's Winchester ammo. I thought .168- .169 couldn't possibly kill a fox. But after reading the posts it works very well. You learn something new every day. I wonder if the energy of 1 pellet is enough or it's more of a collective effort ? Does anyone know what the average energy of 1 BB pellet @50yrds would possibly be? Couldn't be going faster than a .22lr surely?. Cheers.
Stoney
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 12 Jun 2019, 8:19 pm

Stoney wrote:That's what I thought as well Blade. It's Winchester ammo. I thought .168- .169 couldn't possibly kill a fox. But after reading the posts it works very well. You learn something new every day. I wonder if the energy of 1 pellet is enough or it's more of a collective effort ? Does anyone know what the average energy of 1 BB pellet @50yrds would possibly be? Couldn't be going faster than a .22lr surely?. Cheers.

There is a point where a shotgun charge transforms from a slug into separate pellets. At close-range you basically blow a huge hole through your target with the massive energy - 1500fp-lbs or more.

Velocity will depend on your ammo, a lot of it will be going faster than most .22LR ammo.
But the energy of each pellet is very low, and spheres dump velocity very quickly, more so if they're deformed from firing. Just the difference between using US BB's and our BB's could be as much as 5ft-lb (20ft-lb to 16ft-lb) for each pellet at 50m range. As the shot charge is also quite long - perhaps a meter or two, not many of the pellets are dumping their energy into the target simultaneously.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 12 Jun 2019, 8:22 pm

I've got a second barrel coming for my T1000 and then I'm going to do a lot of testing to see the differences between the 20" and 28" barrels with five different chokes, with 7.5's, BB's and slugs. It shouldn't be too hard to do some rudimentary penetration tests as well.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Stoney » 14 Jun 2019, 6:23 pm

bladeracer wrote:I've got a second barrel coming for my T1000 and then I'm going to do a lot of testing to see the differences between the 20" and 28" barrels with five different chokes, with 7.5's, BB's and slugs. It shouldn't be too hard to do some rudimentary penetration tests as well.

Sounds very interesting Blade. Please keep us informed.
Stoney
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by ThumbNT » 19 Jun 2019, 11:14 am

BB/AAA works a treat, knocks rabbits flat at 30-50 metres.

Winchester do a steel bb load for geese (dry lock i think its called) Great for rabbits you indent to keep.
ThumbNT
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by Blr243 » 19 Jun 2019, 9:23 pm

Nothing wrong with bbs I have shot a couple of dozen pigs with bbs no problem. And they were all 5-10 times bigger than foxes .....I think bb is a very versatile shotgun load
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Return to Shotguns - 12 gauge, 28 gauge, 410 bore etc.