Hammerless twin-trigger ejector coachgun?

Double barrel, side by side, over-under, semi-automatic, straight-pull and lever action shotguns.

Hammerless twin-trigger ejector coachgun?

Post by boingk » 30 Aug 2021, 9:52 pm

Hi guys, is there such a beast as a hammerless twin-trigger ejector-equipped short-barrelled side-by-side shotgun? 12G to make it easy, 20G for a challenge.

I'm on the look for one, not necessarily a 20" coachgun but preferably under 28". If all else fails I'd take the rest of the combo and see how I like it or get it shortened later if I don't.

Why? I just like twin triggers and SxS barrels, and enjoy the convenience of ejectors in the field. Shorter length is a bonus for bush hunting which is mostly what I want it for.

If theres any model (new or used) out there with this particular combo let me know.

- boingk
Nil
boingk
Sergeant
Sergeant
 
Posts: 569
Other

Re: Hammerless twin-trigger ejector coachgun?

Post by pomemax » 30 Aug 2021, 11:43 pm

AKKAR CHURCHILL
AKSS1220
512 SIDE X SIDE
12 GAUGE
20" BARRELS WITH EXTRACTORS
WALNUT STOC K & FOREND
$1305
CHOKES
BOITO A/680
SIDE X SIDE
COACH GUN
20" BARRELS
BLUED FINISH
WALNUT STOCK
DOUBLE TRIGGERS /
EXTRACTORS

AVAILABLE IN
410 GAUGE OR 12 GAUGE
SPECIAL NEW $595
cleavers
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2
 
Posts: 1125
New South Wales

Re: Hammerless twin-trigger ejector coachgun?

Post by womble » 31 Aug 2021, 4:01 am

Ejectors not extractors.
Sorry i don’t know of any, hopefully someone here here might.
I believe they exist in high end pricey guns, but I’ve never seen one.
womble
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
 
Posts: 762
Victoria

Re: Hammerless twin-trigger ejector coachgun?

Post by No1Mk3 » 31 Aug 2021, 5:07 am

My shortened Baikal IJ-58 MAE is possibly what you want, a low cost short (whatever you decide to cut it to) SxS ejector! There is an MAE for sale on SSAA website for $400, Cheers.
No1Mk3
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1
 
Posts: 1376
Victoria

Re: Hammerless twin-trigger ejector coachgun?

Post by womble » 31 Aug 2021, 5:11 am

Not if i get there first
womble
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
 
Posts: 762
Victoria

Re: Hammerless twin-trigger ejector coachgun?

Post by womble » 31 Aug 2021, 5:18 am

No you get first dibs.
Not so cheap for me when i factor in another safe.
womble
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
 
Posts: 762
Victoria

Re: Hammerless twin-trigger ejector coachgun?

Post by womble » 31 Aug 2021, 5:24 am

Another safe or another heart breaking decision followed by a lifetime of regret.
womble
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
 
Posts: 762
Victoria

Re: Hammerless twin-trigger ejector coachgun?

Post by on_one_wheel » 31 Aug 2021, 9:38 am

Ejectors are great ... they ensure that every time you break it open to reload you have to bend over and pick up the empties.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
User avatar
on_one_wheel
Lieutenant
Lieutenant
 
Posts: 2497
South Australia

Re: Hammerless twin-trigger ejector coachgun?

Post by ThatNewGuy » 31 Aug 2021, 10:19 am

If you can find an Ithaca Field SXS I would 100% go with one of those they are 28' to 30' barrels but they are a joy to shoot and reasonably cheap.

Edit: https://www.ozgunsales.com/listing/8567 ... rless.html
Might be worth a look?
I just wanted something here...

-New Guy
ThatNewGuy
Private
Private
 
Posts: 52
Queensland

Re: Hammerless twin-trigger ejector coachgun?

Post by womble » 31 Aug 2021, 12:58 pm

And double triggers for twice the joy
womble
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
 
Posts: 762
Victoria

Re: Hammerless twin-trigger ejector coachgun?

Post by boingk » 31 Aug 2021, 1:25 pm

No1Mk3 wrote:My shortened Baikal IJ-58 MAE is possibly what you want, a low cost short (whatever you decide to cut it to) SxS ejector! There is an MAE for sale on SSAA website for $400, Cheers.


Can't find that MAE, saw the IJ-18 U/O though.

ThatNewGuy wrote:If you can find an Ithaca Field SXS I would 100% go with one of those.

Edit: https://www.ozgunsales.com/listing/8567 ... rless.html
Might be worth a look?


Thanks mate, I'll check it out.

- boingk
Nil
boingk
Sergeant
Sergeant
 
Posts: 569
Other

Re: Hammerless twin-trigger ejector coachgun?

Post by bladeracer » 31 Aug 2021, 4:20 pm

boingk wrote:Hi guys, is there such a beast as a hammerless twin-trigger ejector-equipped short-barrelled side-by-side shotgun? 12G to make it easy, 20G for a challenge.

I'm on the look for one, not necessarily a 20" coachgun but preferably under 28". If all else fails I'd take the rest of the combo and see how I like it or get it shortened later if I don't.

Why? I just like twin triggers and SxS barrels, and enjoy the convenience of ejectors in the field. Shorter length is a bonus for bush hunting which is mostly what I want it for.

If theres any model (new or used) out there with this particular combo let me know.

- boingk


Ejectors would be okay for club shooting, not hunting, that's why so much of our bush is littered with hulls, people can't be bothered cleaning their mess up.

I'd look at the Stoeger Coach Gun myself if you want 20", or I think the Uplander (I think) also has two triggers. I think the Uplander might have auto safety though which would suck.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
User avatar
bladeracer
General
General
 
Posts: 8268
Victoria

Re: Hammerless twin-trigger ejector coachgun?

Post by bladeracer » 31 Aug 2021, 4:22 pm

on_one_wheel wrote:Ejectors are great ... they ensure that every time you break it open to reload you have to bend over and pick up the empties.


One thing I like about my Condor is that it extracts, but if you're in a hurry just break it all the way and it flicks them over your shoulder...so you then have to find them in the grass :-)
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
User avatar
bladeracer
General
General
 
Posts: 8268
Victoria

Re: Hammerless twin-trigger ejector coachgun?

Post by womble » 31 Aug 2021, 4:43 pm

bladeracer wrote:
boingk wrote:Hi guys, is there such a beast as a hammerless twin-trigger ejector-equipped short-barrelled side-by-side shotgun? 12G to make it easy, 20G for a challenge.

I'm on the look for one, not necessarily a 20" coachgun but preferably under 28". If all else fails I'd take the rest of the combo and see how I like it or get it shortened later if I don't.

Why? I just like twin triggers and SxS barrels, and enjoy the convenience of ejectors in the field. Shorter length is a bonus for bush hunting which is mostly what I want it for.

If theres any model (new or used) out there with this particular combo let me know.

- boingk


Ejectors would be okay for club shooting, not hunting, that's why so much of our bush is littered with hulls, people can't be bothered cleaning their mess up.

I'd look at the Stoeger Coach Gun myself if you want 20", or I think the Uplander (I think) also has two triggers. I think the Uplander might have auto safety though which would suck.


This is very true, not so easy to find thrown casings in thicker ground cover.
Coach gun with extractors easy enough to flick them out and less moving bits to keep clean.
Talk to gunsmith about the auto safety.
Also the stoeger/boitos came out with synthetic stocks or wood stocks. You really don’t want the hollow synthetic buttstock. Nothing kicks harder.
womble
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
 
Posts: 762
Victoria

Re: Hammerless twin-trigger ejector coachgun?

Post by womble » 31 Aug 2021, 5:32 pm

Something else to consider fit for purpose. Ejectors and pic rail for a red dot. Or has hi vis sights. Multiple chokes flush fit. No auto choke ( i think, best check, pretty sure )
9nth gun down list. Armed scrub buster. https://www.johnsonsfirearms.com.au/second-hand-rifles/shotguns/
womble
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
 
Posts: 762
Victoria

Re: Hammerless twin-trigger ejector coachgun?

Post by boingk » 31 Aug 2021, 6:53 pm

bladeracer wrote:Ejectors ... that's why so much of our bush is littered with hulls, people can't be bothered cleaning their mess up.

I'd look at the Stoeger Coach Gun myself if you want 20". May have an auto safety


Yeah the auto safety is a thing on them. And I'm hearing you on the hulls, I was always taught to leave the place better than I found it so usually end up with at least a few other hulls/shells/cans in my pack plus my own.

womble wrote:Something else to consider fit for purpose.


Not bad, but I'm after the side-by-side. I've got a similar gun to that at the moment, minus the ejectors - the Stoeger Outback Tactical. Basically a blacked out version of their 20" Condor with hi-vis front bead and rails either side. Came with one on top but it was a pain so I just sight down the rail. Brilliant gun but just needs the SxS formatting and ejectors...

I know. I'm being picky... but hey isn't that part of the fun? :mrgreen:

- boingk

PS: Wimble, the FN old mate lists looks like it'd fit the bill in everything bar length. I'll send them an inquiry.
Nil
boingk
Sergeant
Sergeant
 
Posts: 569
Other

Re: Hammerless twin-trigger ejector coachgun?

Post by boingk » 02 Sep 2021, 9:21 pm

May have secured a Brno Pedoli, ticks all the boxes bar length but should be a nice bit of kit.

We'll see how we go.

- boingk
Nil
boingk
Sergeant
Sergeant
 
Posts: 569
Other

Re: Hammerless twin-trigger ejector coachgun?

Post by aimz » 09 Sep 2021, 10:55 am

how about polishing the chambers like the cowboy action shooters.
aimz
Recruit
Recruit
 
Posts: 25
New South Wales

Re: Hammerless twin-trigger ejector coachgun?

Post by boingk » 09 Sep 2021, 9:40 pm

aimz wrote:how about polishing the chambers like the cowboy action shooters.


You can easily shuck the spent cartridges out of a double, I've had a few, but I just want the ejectors.

- boingk
Nil
boingk
Sergeant
Sergeant
 
Posts: 569
Other

Re: Hammerless twin-trigger ejector coachgun?

Post by boingk » 11 Sep 2021, 10:23 pm

Okay, got the Brno on the way.

If anyone else is following along and wants something similar, there's a Miroku listed here https://usedguns.com.au/gun/387898/ thats a SxS ejector model. Single trigger if thats's your jam, too.

- boingk
Nil
boingk
Sergeant
Sergeant
 
Posts: 569
Other

Re: Hammerless twin-trigger ejector coachgun?

Post by womble » 12 Sep 2021, 2:49 am

Nice find.
What happens with the fixed chokes if you get it cut down ?
That has one improved and one full, so are you just back to 2 full ?
Do you want twin triggers so you can play 24 gauge shotgun ?
womble
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
 
Posts: 762
Victoria

Re: Hammerless twin-trigger ejector coachgun?

Post by womble » 12 Sep 2021, 2:52 am

That would be a fun project though. I’d do the timber and get it re-blued. Looks like it’s got some nice wood that would come up really nice.
womble
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
 
Posts: 762
Victoria

Re: Hammerless twin-trigger ejector coachgun?

Post by bladeracer » 12 Sep 2021, 8:51 am

womble wrote:Nice find.
What happens with the fixed chokes if you get it cut down ?
That has one improved and one full, so are you just back to 2 full ?
Do you want twin triggers so you can play 24 gauge shotgun ?


If you cut the chokes off they'd be open, not full.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
User avatar
bladeracer
General
General
 
Posts: 8268
Victoria

Re: Hammerless twin-trigger ejector coachgun?

Post by womble » 12 Sep 2021, 9:05 am

Ah yes, thanks :thumbsup:
womble
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
 
Posts: 762
Victoria

Re: Hammerless twin-trigger ejector coachgun?

Post by Bugman » 12 Sep 2021, 4:25 pm

This post got me thinking of what I had in one of my safes. It turns out to be an Akkar Churchill, 20 inch barrels, ejector fitted BUT only a single trigger. Last time used was for bunny work through long grass. It did the job.
User avatar
Bugman
Sergeant
Sergeant
 
Posts: 730
New South Wales

Re: Hammerless twin-trigger ejector coachgun?

Post by boingk » 13 Sep 2021, 10:08 am

womble wrote:What happens with the fixed chokes if you get it cut down ?
Do you want twin triggers so you can play 24 gauge shotgun ?


Yeah you just end up with two cylinder choked bores... so zero constriction. You can often have them tapped for chokes, too, just depends if there's enough meat in the walls. Usually a tapered barrel should be fine, depending on how much is coming off. That's all if I end shortening, though, I may just leave her as is.

Twin triggers as I'm used to them and its just what I like. Yeah you can discharge both if you want, thats always a fun party trick, but in the real world if you were going to miss with one barrel now you've missed with both! :mrgreen:

Bugman wrote:This post got me thinking of what I had in one of my safes. It turns out to be an Akkar Churchill, 20 inch barrels, ejector fitted BUT only a single trigger. Last time used was for bunny work through long grass. It did the job.


Pretty sure my brother has one, 20" U/O gun with ejectors. He loves the thing as his property gun.

On the lighter side, one of my mates just sent me this. The intro is classic! :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d62oF3ba8KY
Nil
boingk
Sergeant
Sergeant
 
Posts: 569
Other

Re: Hammerless twin-trigger ejector coachgun?

Post by boingk » 16 Sep 2021, 11:23 am

Okay, so long story short I got sent a gun which is clearly an extractor only. They're being really good and taking it back for a refund, though, so thats a plus.

Silver lining is I still have a PTA.

Anyone know of an ejector side-by getting around? :mrgreen:
Nil
boingk
Sergeant
Sergeant
 
Posts: 569
Other

Re: Hammerless twin-trigger ejector coachgun?

Post by bigpete » 26 Sep 2021, 3:02 pm

Ha ha,yes I do as a matter of fact. My AyA lol
bigpete
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant
 
Posts: 2061
South Australia


Back to top
 
Return to Shotguns - 12 gauge, 28 gauge, 410 bore etc.