Recommend me a 12G SxS external hammer shottie

Double barrel, side by side, over-under, semi-automatic, straight-pull and lever action shotguns.

Recommend me a 12G SxS external hammer shottie

Post by Zman » 02 Oct 2024, 7:02 pm

I want to relive a bit of nostalgia when as a youngster I was shooting my grandads external hammer shottie. The things had 30s barrels and packed a punch when going out for ducks. The old bloke sold it before I had a chance to get own it.
So I'd like to purchase and oldie to perhaps restore and take it on as a project. Must be a good platform with a well known good action, barrels and good stock. I may need to source parts so would be nice to still get them.

I've seen Russian Baikals, Hollis, Liege United Arms etc. Just dont know what to look out for with these particular brands.

appreciate any help for people that have owned them , still own them and especially ones that have been restored. I have about 1k to spend.

I could get a new Huglu coach but much prefer an oldie. :thumbsup:
Zman
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Re: Recommend me a 12G SxS external hammer shottie

Post by bigpete » 02 Oct 2024, 7:15 pm

I've got a Hollis i use blackpowder shells through a bit.
Cz used to make one that ticks all the boxes for me,hammers,removable chokes,3" chambers,28" barrels,steel shot proof. But you can't seem to get them here. I'd get a Huglu,but you can only seem to get coach guns. I did have a baikal coach gun with hammers,it was bloody accurate with slugs,actually realistically better than my baikal 45-70 double rifle.
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by No1Mk3 » 02 Oct 2024, 9:55 pm

If you want an oldie there are plenty around and fairly cheap prices ($50 to $300) but many will be 2 1/2" chambers and almost all made prior to 1920 will need low/std pressure (8500 psi) ammo. I have a number of early hammer guns and love them dearly, I also have a nice Lucchini, mid 60's gun, in 2 3/4" that is a very nice gun to shoot as well as a Bernadelli I paid $150 for + $30 to have it shortened to Coach Gun. With the older guns look for ones with tight actions, there are still plenty of them so don't put up with some sloppy crud, check the barrels for bulges and ring them to ensure the ribs are still good. Cheers.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Zman » 03 Oct 2024, 8:14 am

No1Mk3 wrote: but many will be 2 1/2" chambers and almost all made prior to 1920 will need low/std pressure (8500 psi) ammo. I have a number of early hammer guns and love them dearly,
With the older guns look for ones with tight actions, there are still plenty of them so don't put up with some sloppy crud, check the barrels for bulges and ring them to ensure the ribs are still good. Cheers.

Does that mean I'll have to load my own shells?

Action we mean its snaps shut tightly against the breach face with no slop? up \down , left \ right?
Zman
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Blr243 » 03 Oct 2024, 9:15 am

Good on you for embracing history and tradition and choosing to hunt with old classic firearms
Blr243
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by Zman » 03 Oct 2024, 10:12 am

Blr243 wrote:Good on you for embracing history and tradition and choosing to hunt with old classic firearms

thanks.

Now to find one that people aren't asking stupid money for it. Just cause it's old, doesn't mean it automatically needs to goto Sotheby's. Probably sold by antique dealers that sell old furniture holding a collectors license.
Zman
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by bigpete » 03 Oct 2024, 1:32 pm

There should be heaps for quite cheap
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by cadet » 07 Oct 2024, 11:00 am

I'm biased, but I believe the British makers perfected the sxs hammer sporting gun by the end of the 19th century - everyone, everywhere else has been trying - poorly - most of them poorly to imitate the archetype. It's currently a buyers market for those arms; sellers are struggling to move them; a sound example by a reputable maker can be had sub $500. You just need to understand how to assess working condition and work within their limits. Have a look at what's on offer in the next Melbourne auction; catalogue and bidding are open now.
cadet
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Zman » 10 Oct 2024, 9:17 am

cadet wrote:It's currently a buyers market for those arms; sellers are struggling to move them; a sound example by a reputable maker can be had sub $500. You just need to understand how to assess working condition and work within their limits. Have a look at what's on offer in the next Melbourne auction; catalogue and bidding are open now.

How does that auction work? I've spotted a few but the starting bid is a bit high. I think they're asking for a little too much. Can you make an offer which is obviously lower than the Starting bid? Or is that reserved post auction? :unknown:
Zman
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by cadet » 10 Oct 2024, 11:44 am

Zman wrote:
cadet wrote:It's currently a buyers market for those arms; sellers are struggling to move them; a sound example by a reputable maker can be had sub $500. You just need to understand how to assess working condition and work within their limits. Have a look at what's on offer in the next Melbourne auction; catalogue and bidding are open now.

How does that auction work? I've spotted a few but the starting bid is a bit high. I think they're asking for a little too much. Can you make an offer which is obviously lower than the Starting bid? Or is that reserved post auction? :unknown:

The starting price is the starting price; take or leave. If you think the starting bid and reserve are too high, you could wait and see what's passed in after the auction (and things do get passed in), then make an offer. I wouldn't bid on much without having inspected in hand though, if you can manage.
cadet
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by 6878mm » 14 Oct 2024, 7:49 am

you have PM
6878mm
Private
Private

New South Wales

Return to Shotguns - 12 gauge, 28 gauge, 410 bore etc.